PDA

View Full Version : Lawn sprinkler timer recommendations?

Bruce Page
04-09-2013, 1:16 PM
I want to replace my Irritrol Slim Dial Series timer that loses ~7 minutes a week with something more reliable. Any suggestions?

Jim Koepke
04-09-2013, 1:53 PM
Is it called an Irritrol because it irritates all its owner?

If that is the only problem, why not just advance the timer 28 minutes on the first of every month until it dies and has to be replaced?

The clock in these usually have no way to be adjusted. You might complain to the maker and they might be able to provide you with a better solution at no charge.

jtk

Joe Angrisani
04-09-2013, 1:56 PM
I want to replace my Irritrol Slim Dial Series timer that loses ~7 minutes a week with something more reliable. Any suggestions?

You'll have to describe the Irritrol a little. If it's an old-timer (no pun), the trigger voltages won't match the newer stuff. So you either get another older (used) unit, or you might have to replace your master switch/solenoid as well.

As I recall: Our old unit (circa 1970s) sent out 24V signals. The new stuff works with millivolts. The master solenoid did not react to the new, "weak" signal and had to be replaced as well.

Lee Schierer
04-09-2013, 2:32 PM
When we put in a new lawn in the back yard after some septic work I purchased an Orbit sprinkler timer and once I figured out how to program it it worked great.259459 It kept time all summer long and never failed to turn on and off when it was supposed to.

Bruce Page
04-09-2013, 5:09 PM
You'll have to describe the Irritrol a little. If it's an old-timer (no pun), the trigger voltages won't match the newer stuff. So you either get another older (used) unit, or you might have to replace your master switch/solenoid as well.

As I recall: Our old unit (circa 1970s) sent out 24V signals. The new stuff works with millivolts. The master solenoid did not react to the new, "weak" signal and had to be replaced as well.

I could’ve been more informative. I’m looking for an indoor electronic timer. I have 3 stations – 2 lawn and 1 drip system. The Irritrol Slim dial (see pic) is about 8-10 years old and was installed when I had the sprinkler system installed. It has always lost time but otherwise it works fine. I could reset the time once a month and that’s basically what I’ve always done, but sometimes I do forget.:o We have pretty strict water police around here and watering at the wrong time of day gets you in trouble. Hence, I need a more reliable timer.

Chris Padilla
04-09-2013, 5:23 PM
I've used cheap-o Orbit and Toro branded timers from the borg with no issues. You should be able to get one for under $20.

Myk Rian
04-09-2013, 5:48 PM
Orbit has many styles. Look at HD.
We use one for vacations, that turns a hose/sprinkler on for my Wife's plants.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-09-2013, 5:56 PM
I have had an Toro GreenKeeper for years. It handles 6 zones. I change the 9V backup battery for the programming each spring and fall. I haven't programmed it in years. I leave it plugged in year round and just manually shut off the irrigation water at the manual waste/drain each fall when I have the sprinkler system blown out. In the spring, I just turn the cutoff valve back on.

Larry Whitlow
04-09-2013, 11:58 PM
I have had an Toro GreenKeeper for years. It handles 6 zones. I change the 9V backup battery for the programming each spring and fall. I haven't programmed it in years. I leave it plugged in year round and just manually shut off the irrigation water at the manual waste/drain each fall when I have the sprinkler system blown out. In the spring, I just turn the cutoff valve back on.

I also have the Toro. Mine is called a Lawn Master which will handle up to 12 zones. I like it because of the programming options, including the ability to isolate zones. Best of all, I've never had any problems with it. I've never had an Orbit timer, but have experienced ongoing problems with the Orbit brand valves. Invariably they start leaking. I've been replacing them as they go bad. I have two left -- both are leaking and will be replaced this week.

Rick Potter
04-10-2013, 1:51 AM
I have used an Orbit from HD as a temporary timer. So far temporary has been six years. No problems and it keeps time just fine.....six stations. I use it with Rainbird valves and heads, not too much luck with Orbit valves or heads. I have a nice Rainbird timer........haven't put it in yet.

Rick Potter

Steve Rozmiarek
04-10-2013, 12:26 PM
I like Rainbird components, their timers tend to be really good.

Von Bickley
04-10-2013, 2:32 PM
I have a Rainbird 6 zone controller at my house, and I replaced a controller at my son's house with a Rainbird 4 zone controller. I bought these at Lowe's and I am well satisfied with them. Easy to program and are very dependable.

They are "user friendly".......

Joe Mioux
04-10-2013, 10:21 PM
I use Nelson in my greenhouses. They work fine. I also use a cheap little orbit in another house. The one that i have in longest service, 20 years is a Richdel.

check out hummert . com . They have a lot of info.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-10-2013, 11:50 PM
www.SprinklerWarehouse.com is a good internet source for these things, I highly reccomend.

Jim Koepke
04-11-2013, 2:23 PM
Now that I know this is an electronic timer, my inclination would be to call the manufacture and see if they have a fix.

Being of the technical type, if the manufacture is of no help, it might be my choice to try and adjust the clock frequency. Electronic clocks usually have a crystal and capacitor to set the clock. Some use a variable capacitor to adjust this at the factory. If not, an electronics tech could tweak the circuit to adjust the timing. It might take more than one tweaking to get it perfect unless they have a very accurate frequency counter.

Here are two examples of a timing circuit:

The parallel lines with the arrow indicate adjustable capacitors.

jtk

Bruce Page
04-11-2013, 2:37 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! For 20 bucks I went with the Orbit 57114 at HD. It had good reviews on Amazon.

Chris Padilla
04-12-2013, 9:44 PM
Perfect, Bruce! I have 2 4-zone $10 Orbits that I use for my pool pump and booster pump (leaf gatherer) through contactors. They're not ideal for the situation but I got 'em to work and they've done the job flawlessly for 5 years now.