PDA

View Full Version : Club challenge - Make something from a piece of white oak

Roger Chandler
04-09-2013, 12:47 PM
At our meeting of the Woodturners of the Virginias this past Saturday, club member Bill Millett brought in a box of white oak limb pieces.......each being around 5 to six inches in length and perhaps 4 inches diameter. There were probably 30-35 pieces of the white oak.

We were told to take one and turn something for this months challenge, and bring it back to the next meeting in May. Not much you can do with a piece that small.....perhaps a candle holder, or box........I chose making a lidded box.

This has one coat of antique oil on it at present [ I like the look of antique oil on oak] and it is not fully dry in these pics. I will likely add some other finish on top of this little box to enhance the look a bit, but the AO was for popping the grain and giving it some amber color before final finish.

I decided to add a bit of a dome to the lid to compliment the base a little......I just thought these features added interest to the piece, and the lid has a line to emphasize the separation, yet continues the curve upward to the little knob.......this is sanded to 400 grit inside and out. Comments are always welcome.

Jerry Marcantel
04-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Roger, you executed that piece of wood real well.(play on words) Actually, it's execution is flawless..... Nice form, nice wood, and the lid looks well thought out....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Roger Chandler
04-09-2013, 1:19 PM
Roger, you executed that piece of wood real well.(play on words) Actually, it's execution is flawless..... Nice form, nice wood, and the lid looks well thought out....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Much appreciated, Jerry!

David DeCristoforo
04-09-2013, 1:42 PM
Well now... this is a "saucy" little box! I like everything about it..... except the flared foot. If I hold my finger up to cover the foot, the form comes alive. I would love to see you get it mounted back up on the lathe and take that flair off. Just continue the curve of the sides down to the bottom. "Tuck" it or not, either way.

Roger Chandler
04-09-2013, 4:10 PM
Thanks David! This was not much of a piece of wood.........I think the form can only go so far with this particular piece of White oak. For a larger turning the grain would have been more pleasing, but this small box.........it would have looked better with walnut or cherry or maple. Oh well, such is the nature of a club challenge........one is limited by the wood to be used! ;)

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-09-2013, 5:44 PM
Well done Roger. Another sweet box by my favorite box maker, especially given the wood. White oak can be really pretty on the quarter sawn faces. This piece has dark rays but so it goes with oaks.
faust

David Reed
04-09-2013, 6:23 PM
Like this form with the cover a lot. Actually it is nearly identical to a form in BLM I turned and is currently drying. I was not sure what I would do for a lid as I was not totally pleased with the shape without one. I will test drive a lid like yours as I think that completes the form very nicely.

Roger Chandler
04-09-2013, 7:05 PM
Well done Roger. Another sweet box by my favorite box maker, especially given the wood. White oak can be really pretty on the quarter sawn faces. This piece has dark rays but so it goes with oaks.
faust

Very kind of you, Faust. I think this form would have had a lot better "presence" with another wood, like walnut or something........as it is, the rustic look of the white oak does not lend itself very well to a refined form like this one.........but I had to try to bring the best out of it for the next meeting......there are prizes awarded from CSUSA......$30 for first place! :D

Kathy Marshall
04-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Nice job on a nice box Roger! Good luck with the challenge!

Roger Chandler
04-10-2013, 8:15 AM
Nice job on a nice box Roger! Good luck with the challenge!

Thanks Kathy......appreciated!

Mike Golka
04-10-2013, 8:54 AM
Good looking box Roger, you that piece of wood justice.

Roger Chandler
04-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Good looking box Roger, you that piece of wood justice.

Thanks Mike.......appreciate your taking a moment to look and comment!

Roger Chandler
04-10-2013, 3:16 PM
Funny thing........I went over to look at this box again about an hour or so ago.........picked it up and it had started to crack on the foot! :eek: Can you believe that?! :rolleyes: Well, a short trip to the lathe and the form is now without the foot.......thanks to everyone for your comments.........maybe since oak is so prone to cracking, I should have done it without a foot to begin with!

Roger Chandler
04-10-2013, 4:32 PM
Here is a couple of pics without the foot.......259621259622