PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi C12RSH reviews???

Joe Shinall
04-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Does anyone have the Hitachi C12RSH 12" compound sliding miter saw? I have looked at this model for about a month and am really impressed with the reviews. I went to Lowe's this past weekend and looked at it and am also impressed with the quality of this big saw. I am looking to install it in a bench on a wall in my shop so the fact that it does not take up as much space behind the fence as my current one or the others I measured is a big plus (only a few inches but really matters in my small shop) as well as it's only $400 at Lowe's and I have a %10 off coupon to use. Also the adjustable laser would be great for me. I have never used my laser on my Makita because it's off but would like to be able to use it on rough cuts.

Lowe's website has 113 reviews with 4.7 stars out of 5 and Amazon has a 4.5 out of 28 reviews.

Looks good to me but just wondering if anyone has it and has had any issues with it before I bite and buy it up.

Pete Janke
04-09-2013, 1:29 AM
I bought this saw at Lowes in December 2011 for $399. I bought it after researching many reviews and watching the Hitachi YouTube video. I liked the features: the rail system (smooth. I have them locked in the forward position, like you will have on your saw), which does save a lot of space; the easily adjustable and accurate laser (remember to turn it off, not very bright in bright sunlight); the ability to cut dados; the pivoting fence; and the 12" capacity. Once home, I checked all angle settings. The manual does address the 45* stops and I made some minor adjustments. Buyers complained on Amazon that the manual did not mention them. I mounted it on a Ridgid MSUV. This saw is a load (much heavier than my old non slider Ridgid 10" miter saw), but the MSUV holds it securely. I was going to be cutting some baseboard and crown molding, so I replaced the stock blade with a 100 tooth blade I already had. This saw cuts great. The head glides smoothly and accurately on the rails. I found a 2 1/4" pvc coupling at Home Depot which fit into the dust chute exhaust. I then slid a 2 1/4" x 4" dust fitting reducer onto the coupling. The 4" end is attached to my dust collection system hose. Miter saws never collect all the dust, but this arrangement works okay for now. I can post a picture tomorrow if anyone needs to see one.

Paul McGaha
04-09-2013, 8:04 AM
Hi Joe,

I've had a 10" Hitachi Sliding miter saw for a little over 5 years. I really like it. It cuts well.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-C10FSH-10-Inch-Sliding-Compound/dp/B00007J8CH/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Hitachi is I think pretty well known for sliding miter saws. The first one was an 8 1/2" slider that was really popular with trim carpenters. Acurate, light to move around, dependable.

Whenever mine goes I imagine I would buy another one. I have no complaints with mine.

Good luck with it.

PHM

Grant Wilkinson
04-09-2013, 9:03 AM
I've had that saw for a few years now and it's been great. The laser actually lights where the saw cuts and the slide is very smooth. Keeping the tubes clean is a must, but that holds true for all sliders, I figure. The dust collection is not the best, but with a home built hood and a flex hose and adapter to a 4" line from my DC, it's not to bad. I have it permanently on a bench with the Kreg rail and stop; a nice combo.

Tom Willoughby
04-09-2013, 12:44 PM
I too have the the 12" Hitachi CMS and I am pleased with it. It stays permanently on my bench and the settings were accurate out of the box but I bought refurbished one so maybe it was given a once over. I briefly looked at the new Bosch but couldn't justify the price difference.

I always thought that the lasers were gimmicks but once set up, it is quite a nice convenience.

Tom

Joe Shinall
04-09-2013, 8:08 PM
Thanks for the tips and reviews guys. I'm gonna bite the bullet this weekend. Buyin a new Husqvarna mower with 18 months no interest so figured I'd throw this one in at the same time and use the 10% off on all of it. I've given this thing the once over about 20 times in lowes every time I go and it just looks like a nice saw all together.

Dan Neuhaus
04-09-2013, 9:09 PM
First post but I figured I would throw in my experience with the saw. I have had the C12LSH for about 5 years (same saw but with the digital display) and have never been impressed. Out of the box it was slightly out of square when fully extended and it was fairly difficult to get dead on. The laser is easily knocked off line and the digital display is mostly gimmicky. Once dialed in though the saw has decent power and compact slide is nice. Fast forward a fews years I have it setup on a Ridgid MSUV and while loaned out to a close friend it was tipped over in the mobile configuration. It tipped in a stone driveway and shows no signs of the fall, but now the blade in the fully extended position is about 1/2" out of square. I understand this was caused by an accident but when I called Hitachi tech for tips on squaring it back up, they ran down a procedure involving prybars cranking between the rails and a second pair of hands. Never could get it perfect and have delegated it to rough cutting use. That being said, I also have an old 8 1/2" Japanese made Hitachi that is a flawless performer.
Dan

Joe Shinall
04-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Miter saws never collect all the dust, but this arrangement works okay for now. I can post a picture tomorrow if anyone needs to see one.

Pete, i would like to see a picture or two. I will be doing the same thing with the fittings. Thanks in advance.

Pete Janke
04-10-2013, 1:24 AM
Pete, i would like to see a picture or two. I will be doing the same thing with the fittings. Thanks in advance.

Joe Shinall
04-10-2013, 6:20 PM
Thanks Pete! Looks great. Easy enough coupling. I have a Bosch all terrain base that it will sit on until I get it built in the bench. Thanks again for the pics.