PDA

View Full Version : Are these urethane tires good?

Michael Dunn
04-08-2013, 9:11 PM
Or do they need to be replaced? Or crowned?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPSJOY-QF8Y

Phil Thien
04-08-2013, 9:40 PM
They look fine to me. The wheels themselves look at have a slight crown, and the urethane tires are conforming to that crown.

Does it track blades okay?

Michael Dunn
04-08-2013, 10:04 PM
It tracks like crap. This BS has never cut well for me.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-08-2013, 11:35 PM
What make/model is the saw? That gap on one side of the tire looks slightly goofy, but I'm with Phil, they look like they should work.

Michael Dunn
04-09-2013, 12:42 AM
What make/model is the saw? That gap on one side of the tire looks slightly goofy, but I'm with Phil, they look like they should work.

It's a Cal-Hawk.

Myk Rian
04-09-2013, 9:54 AM
The tires are fine, it's the saw that isn't.
You really ought to stop throwing good money at it.

Michael Dunn
04-09-2013, 10:13 AM
The tires are fine, it's the saw that isn't.
You really ought to stop throwing good money at it.

True... A little late for that though. I'm done putting money into this BS (pun intended). If I can't get it cutting good after new blades and a riser block (not that I thought a riser block would help, I just wanted to see if it could handle it). I wanted to try new blades so I figured if I ever wanted a riser block it would be wise to do that before I order a few 92 1/2" blades.

I can't stop thinking about that Rikon... $1049... Mmmmm...

Phil Thien
04-09-2013, 10:17 AM
What kind of blades have you been using?

What kind of blades have you ordered now that you installed the riser?

Michael Dunn
04-09-2013, 10:28 AM
What kind of blades have you been using?

What kind of blades have you ordered now that you installed the riser?

I just recently put this 1/2" one on. For the last 3+ years I had a 1/4" of the same brand installed. It sucked. The 1/2" was worse. It seemed no matter what I did it kept jumping back and forth.

I do vaguely remember a time when I didn't have the jumping effect.

Right now I have 2 - 103" 1/2" WoodSlicers on order from Highland W.W.

If this doesn't work, I'm done with this BS. Once I get some cash flow from some jobs I'll start saving for the Rikon. Hopefully it's still on sale!!!

Phil Thien
04-09-2013, 10:46 AM
I've had weld issues w/ Olson blades.

It is amazing how a slight misalignment in a weld can lead to blades wandering around on the wheels.

Myk Rian
04-09-2013, 2:36 PM
Right now I have 2 - 103" 1/2" WoodSlicers on order from Highland W.W.
Apparently you didn't see my suggestion to put a 1/4" thick block under the riser. That would have made it easy to get blades.
I don't think 103 1/2" is going to work well, if at all.

Michael Dunn
04-09-2013, 2:59 PM
Apparently you didn't see my suggestion to put a 1/4" thick block under the riser. That would have made it easy to get blades.

I did not. Well, I lowered the upper wheel all the way then raised it about 1/4" and measured just under 103" with a nylon string. I ordered 2 - 103" blades that are 1/2" wide. Perhaps you thought I order 103 1/2" long blades. If so, I did not. Hopefully it'll work. I'm tired of waiting.

Sorry about all the different threads. I just thought I would make more sense since they're separate issues. Related, but separate.

Gus Dundon
04-09-2013, 3:39 PM
Those urethane tires look fine. Try to watch the Alex Snodgrass band saw set up video.

Phil Thien
04-09-2013, 11:19 PM

Doesn't matter, blades are welded to any length ordered. There is nothing special about 103-1/2" that will cause them not to work well.

Michael Dunn
04-10-2013, 8:59 PM
I got my 103" x 1/2" blades today. They fit perfectly, and track like a dream!!! This saw is quite capable now I must say. I just resawed a 3"x8" piece of I don't even know. It's was an 8"x 8" that was resawn into two 4"x8"'s. after jointing and planing and one failed resaw attempt I'm left with roughly a 3"x8". Here's the first pic...

It measures .0380" on one end and .0375" on the other.

Now I'll try resawing the face instead of the edge... Not as even as I'd like. I'll chalk that up to fence setup. At the moment I'm simply using an edge and jointed piece (and ripped) of the same wood.

Any thoughts? Should I bother buying the Grizzly resaw fence?

Michael Dunn
04-10-2013, 9:02 PM
Pcs of my 'fence' setup...

Myk Rian
04-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Should I bother buying the Grizzly resaw fence?
No. That chunk of wood is all you need.
If you get thicker cuts at the top or bottom, adjust the table angle a tad.

Dan Hahr
04-11-2013, 9:56 PM
Try and get the back of the gullet to ride as close as you can to the center of the wheel. I always thought that it was proper to have the blade centered...not so. Made a world of difference in my opinion.

Dan

Dan Hahr
04-11-2013, 9:59 PM
Yes... that tip is straight from the Alex Snodgrass video. For some reason, the name didn't ring a bell.
Dan

Michael Dunn
04-13-2013, 8:59 PM
So I am quite pleased with my results now. Any clue what type of glue I should use to glue my tires to the wheels? I figure it may improve things about more. I am detecting a slight, very slight, amount of front to back movement like before. I move the tires to one side of the wheel and they end up moving there way back. I wonder if gluing them could eliminate this minor nuisance...

Any thoughts guys?

Randy Karst
04-23-2013, 2:17 AM
Try and get the back of the gullet to ride as close as you can to the center of the wheel. I always thought that it was proper to have the blade centered...not so. Made a world of difference in my opinion.

Dan

I have an 14" Model #044 Powermatic that I had previously set-up the way Alex describes in his video and it was okay. I recently reset it so that the blade is centered per the current FWW (Asa Christiana) article, and on my BS at least, I like it better for a few reasons: 1) Using Alex's method, the urethane tires were showing premature wear from the blade's (Carter 1/2" 3 tpi skip-tooth) teeth (it does not appear to be a blade tension related issue); 2) Tracking was okay w/ Alex's method, but it seems better now 3) And now the intangible: the BS just seems "happier" setup this way. Just my experience.

Randy

Curt Harms
04-23-2013, 8:02 AM
I could be mistaken but I don't think urethane tires are normally glued. Rubber tires yes but not urethane. Urethane tires seem to fit tight enough that they need to spend some time in warm water so they'll stretch easier in order to get them mounted. I wonder if the wheels are a smidge under 14" so the tires aren't as tight as intended?

Gus Dundon
04-23-2013, 4:46 PM
Are you installing rubber tires? I think there is a rubber tire adhesive at Carters.

Michael Dunn
04-23-2013, 5:03 PM
Are you installing rubber tires? I think there is a rubber tire adhesive at Carters.

I've already installed Urethane tires. I am wondering if they should be glued. If so, what type of glue should I use?

Brian Libby
04-23-2013, 6:01 PM
no glue for urethane tires

Peter Kelly
04-23-2013, 7:44 PM
Urethane tyres should not be glued on.

Michael Dunn
04-23-2013, 9:21 PM
Ok. Thanx guys!!! It's pretty amazing how great this saw cuts now. Unfortunately the machining of my guide post (detailed in another thread) is not perfectly square to the table. So I must adjust the upper thrust bearing and guide blocks each time I change the guide height.

Oh, I also ended up getting a Grizzly resaw fence.

Michael Dunn
04-23-2013, 9:23 PM
I could be mistaken but I don't think urethane tires are normally glued. Rubber tires yes but not urethane. Urethane tires seem to fit tight enough that they need to spend some time in warm water so they'll stretch easier in order to get them mounted. I wonder if the wheels are a smidge under 14" so the tires aren't as tight as intended?

It's been a few years, but I do remember clearly how incredibly difficult they were to install. It does seem like they move.