PDA

View Full Version : 1st Burl Cut

David DeCristoforo
04-08-2013, 4:34 PM
Someone asked if I would post pics of cutting my latest "found" burls. This one was pretty much of a "no brainer". I have already cut up several of these so I pretty much knew what to expect to find inside. Also, I wanted to get as big a piece as possible out of this one for a large, fairly "low profile" hollow form.

I marked out the cut line right through the "pith", ignoring the small branch stump. Usually one would cut to one side of the pith but like I said, I'm trying to maximize this piece:

The first cut was with the chainsaw and, as you can see, I decided to change the angle of the cut slightly:

Then I marked a circle on the top of the piece. I was able to go 9" in diameter without having to cut away much of the burl:

Then it's up on the bandsaw to cut out the blank. You can see that part of the pith is still included but this will provide some waste wood for a tenon without losing any of the good stuff:

This was a small burl, not like the ones Baxter posted pics of, so the cutting was pretty basic. This should make a really nice form. I am really glad to have found another one of these and especially one that produced such a large blank. It looks to be sound through and through as well.

PS I checked the MC on the fresh cut and it's right at 14%... not bad!

Roger Chandler
04-08-2013, 4:43 PM
That is a nice piece of burl, David.......that should yield a very nice hf........post when you get it done! Is the species honey locust or something else......I don't remember off the top of my head...:confused:..or was it mistletoe?

Dennis Nagle
04-08-2013, 4:51 PM
Looks good. YOu still have enough left over for gobs of pen blanks.

Eric Gourieux
04-09-2013, 3:20 PM
Thanks for the pics. Looks like a nice piece. I'm sure you'll work miracles with it, as usual.