PDA

View Full Version : H&R Molding Plane Restoration and First Moldings

Mike Allen1010
04-08-2013, 2:50 PM
In an effort to be able to add a bit more detail and decoration to my furniture projects, I have recently been attempting to learn some new hand tool skills.

Motivated by Matt Bickford's excellent book "Moldings In Practice", I decided it would be nice to be able to hand plane or “stick” moldings that would complement 18th-century furniture styles. I thought I would post my experience in hopes it would be helpful for other Neander's who might be interested in giving hand stuck moldings a try.

My first challenge was I had no molding planes. Someday I would love to be able to pick up a set of the premium H&R's from Matt or Old Street, unfortunately I'm told by the LOML that's not currently in the budget.

Thanks largely to the coaching and generosity of our fellow Creekers (particularly David Weaver -- thanks David!), I was able to acquire some old hollows and rounds to add to the few dedicated profile, “complex" molding planes I had picked up over the years, but never learned to use.

Putting the old planes back in working order was a real challenge for me because I don't do a lot of work with curves.

I started with truing up the soles of the hollows using sandpaper and whatever round shapes I could find that matched the desired radius of the various planes (dowels, PVC pipe etc.). Matt's book was very helpful in listing the correct size and curvature of the various sizes of H&R's. Straight edges and a couple passes with a joiner plane helped straighten out the couple bodies that had slight bends.

I then used the hollows to true up the corresponding rounds (I don't have matching pairs, so had to freelance a little). A little work cleaning up the wedges, throats, sealing some cracks and then all the planes got a good soaking of oil/varnish mix - the old beech was really dry!

The hardest and most time-consuming part of restoring these molding planes for me was sharpening the irons and matching the radius of the cutting edge to the soles of the plane.

Using granite and sandpaper I flattened the backs (my fingers were wrecked for a week!). I used Dykem, and a cheap scratch awl to try and mark the curvature of the soles onto the blades – with mixed results. I think I need a better scribe. Ultimately, I mostly ended up grinding the blades by trial and error and repeated matching to the soles, using a sharpie to mark the high spots. Standard bench grinder/sharpening stones worked well for the round irons. I tended to overdo it with the grinder and had better results when I just used the grinder to “get close”, and did the final shaping of the profile by hand.

For the rounds, I used an inexpensive HF cone shape grinding stone chucked in the drill press. I also got a narrow wheel for the bench grinder and used the dressing tool to shape it into a curve. Ultimately slip stones and SC wet/dry sandpaper and finer 3M abrasive sheets on dowels were really helpful. Still this took a long time and although my molding planes now all work; some still need additional tuning to take really fine shavings.

Here's a picture of the restored planes.

Here's the diagram from Matt's book that shows the molding I wanted to make.

Cutting all the rabbits for this molding was the first time in 15 years that made me wish I had a table saw! Cutting these with a dado blade and TS would save a lot of time as compared cutting them with a rabbit plane.

Tuning the rabbit planes was critical and it was worth the time I spent truing up the sole dead flat and perpendicular to the body, with the blade protruding slightly past the edge of the body.

With a little bit of practice I was able to use the marking gauge cut to start the rabbits without using a fence -- although it was a white knuckler.

Here's some pictures of the H&R as I used to cut the coves and ovolo’s: after all the time and efforts spent tuning up the planes it was very rewarding to finally be able to put them to work! I need to get a plane adjusting hammer with a softer face -- I put way too much work into restoring the bodies to ding them up with my current steel hammer.

Mike Allen1010
04-08-2013, 2:55 PM
Here's the final two-piece molding after it was glued together.

Here's some pictures on the workbench of the molding attached to a shelf and finished with oil/varnish. The shelf and molding are the last of some air dried walnut I inherited from my uncle -- I cut 1/4 inch bead in the top of the shelf.

Finally, here's where the molding and shelf "live" -- holding my box of now restored molding planes on a tool cabinet I built 30 years ago.

In summary, I enjoy being able to now stick my own moldings. I wouldn't want to have to invest the time and effort to restore molding planes again, it was really more work than fun. Someday I'll get some planes from Matt so I can see how they are supposed to work.

Thanks for looking. I hope this is helpful for those Neander's who want to give making their own moldings a try.

All the best, Mike

David Weaver
04-08-2013, 3:08 PM
Looks good!! Those planes were begging for attention (and some more complementary planes for the ones that weren't pairs).

To refurbish all of those bottom and irons at one time is a huge task. One that nobody can appreciate it until they reprofile a beat old pair with irons that were allowed to get away from what they should be.

Chris Griggs
04-08-2013, 3:24 PM
Very very cool, as always, Mike!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-08-2013, 8:26 PM
Nice. Glad to see those old guys put back to work again. Congrats! Never rehabbed a curved edge tool, but having fixed up enough flat blades I know you undertook a heck of a lot of work doing all that at once. Color me impressed!

I'd be tempted to find a way to use a plow plane to kerf in those initial rabbets, maybe working from both the face and the top of the molding - I feel like I can chew away depth a lot faster with a 1/8th" plow iron than I can with a rabbet plane. Plus you might end up with lots of useless 1/4" sticks in the process. But not having done moldings like this, I could be totally off-base on whether that's a decent approach . . .

jason thigpen
04-08-2013, 8:42 PM
That was an excellent write up! I really enjoyed reading about your entire process. Those planes turned out great. And your box is great! That's a very classy way to store some H&R's! Gives me all kinds of great ideas.

bob blakeborough
04-08-2013, 8:50 PM
I have just finished rounding up a complete half set of hollows and rounds myself, and now need to take on the job of getting them all ready to work... I must admit I am a bit intimidated looking at all those irons and wondering where to start. Your thread has given me a lot to go on... Thanks OP!

Jim Stewart
04-08-2013, 9:19 PM
Very nice write-up and an inspiration. I am following the same path but a bit behind. I have a set and they were in decent shape but they had convex grinds. I painfully ground the 6's to a concave and then realized I could sharpen the convex on a stone quite nicely. Fun this woodworking, but I wish I had started much earlier. Without the aid of the internet and schools that exist today however, I would have never made it this far.

Jim Koepke
04-08-2013, 9:46 PM
I'm jealous. I have about 5 H&R planes. That is not pairs, that is total planes. I made one pair match, all the rest are unmatched.

Some day I will save up and find a set I can afford and fix up or maybe hit the lottery and then buy a set ready to go.

Thanks for sharing your endeavors.

jtk

Robert LaPlaca
04-09-2013, 9:11 AM
Very cool, thanks for sharing your experience, something I really want to try..

Randall Houghton
04-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Great job on the H&R's and the creation of an original molding. Lots of hard work that yielded beautiful results. Love your chest. You are a very talented individual. Keep up the beautiful work.
Regards
Randy

Paul Crowe
04-13-2013, 8:37 PM
Thankyou for posting this i was thinking about buying the book after recently purchasing a near complete set of rounds and hollows from Gleave Manchester ( missing size 14 and 16 hollow if anyone has them). Is it limited to US style hollows and rounds or can the info be applied to european hollows and rounds as well?

Great job.

Mike Cogswell
04-14-2013, 4:49 PM
Thankyou for posting this i was thinking about buying the book after recently purchasing a near complete set of rounds and hollows from Gleave Manchester ( missing size 14 and 16 hollow if anyone has them). Is it limited to US style hollows and rounds or can the info be applied to european hollows and rounds as well?

Great job.

The book is about techniques that apply to all hollows and rounds. US and European (or at least British) hollows and rounds are basically alike anyway. The variances (skewed versus non-skewed, degree of pitch, joiner versus cabinet, etc) can be found on both sides of the pond.

I had the pleasure of taking Matt's class on using these planes before his book was published, and purchased the book as soon as it was available. Matt does a great job in explaining how to lay out and create virtually any profile with a single set of planes.

I also suggest anyone with an interest in actually using these wonderful planes use these resources:

Matt's Blog (http://musingsfrombigpink.blogspot.com/) which has numerous write-ups on making mouldings using hollows & rounds in the archive
Lee Richmond's (owner of The Best Things (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/www.thebestthings.com)) article of the difference between moulding planes for Joiners and Cabinet Makers (http://www.thebestthings.com/cab_vs_j.htm)
Larry Wilson's (planemaker (http://www.planemaker.com)) article on the Sizing and Numbering of Hollow and Round Planes (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/pdf/Sizes_of_Hollows_and_Rounds.pdf)
Larry's excellent DVD's on Making Traditional Side Escapement Planes and Sharpening Profiled Hand Tools, both available at Lie-Neilsen (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1320)

And, of course, Matt's Book (https://www.lostartpress.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BK-MIP)