PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Myrtle HF - to embellish or not?

Kathy Marshall
04-08-2013, 12:00 AM
A few weeks ago I got one of Reed Gray's Robo Rests (stealth gloat) which I really like! We also did a little wood trade and earlier this week I received a big chunk of Oregon Myrtle (Thanks Reed!). Reed also sent a note saying this wood has been a little stringy and difficult to cut, so I decided to cut it into hollow form blanks.

He must have sent me the good piece because it cut very nice leaving a very smooth surface. It did tend to dull my gouge fairly quickly, but several touch ups on the grinder took care of that.

It's 5 1/2" x 5" and has no finish yet. I'm thinking about some pyro work on it, but then again it looks pretty good as it is.
The color's a little off in the pics, a little too much blue.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Dennis Nagle
04-08-2013, 12:34 AM
I think it would look great just shinned up. How do you like the Robo Rest??? I've been saving my pennies, but something always comes up where they disappear.

Steve Rost
04-08-2013, 7:17 AM
Your piece is easily a stand alone vessel. If you pyro do it justice!

Fred Belknap
04-08-2013, 7:52 AM
Kathy love the bowl and don't think it needs any decoration. The two tone dress it up quite nicely. Been wanting one of those rest, congratulations.

charlie knighton
04-08-2013, 8:00 AM
very nice form, either way, emblish or not, i find the emblishment takes away some attention to form

i do not have one of Reed's robo rest yet, looks very good, i just wonder with some of my worn short scrapers if the bed could be smaller, the wolverine came out with a smaller bed and i could get more use of some of tools

Mike Golka
04-08-2013, 9:09 AM
I have to agree with the rest, the form is what's important and you've nailed it.

jwjerry w kowalski
04-08-2013, 9:52 AM
Kathy, I really like your pyro, this form is very nice by itself,but I think it would be enhanced by a small amount of pyro, maybe something looking like a collar around the top to accent the form, but not too overwhelming to where your form is lost in the mix.

Dale Gillaspy
04-08-2013, 9:54 AM
I'm going to stick my neck out and say I think you should do a little embellishing on this one. Form is important no matter whether or not you embellish, and I agree that you've nailed this form. I'm looking at the wood itself, and it calls for something. You have done a great job with some of your recent pieces, and I think some embellishing would add draw to this piece.

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2013, 9:59 AM
I like it as is Kathy but a small amount of pyro might set it off more.

Roger Chandler
04-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Wonderfully done form, Kathy! While it would make a nice canvas for embellishment.............my personal tastes lend to the natural beauty of the wood........for some, embellishment seems to elevate a form..........I guess I am more of a purist.......I like the wood itself to be featured........this one is outstanding in proportions and form........shows your skill and stands on its own just fine.

I would take the finish up a notch or two if leaving it without embellishment........your call either way!

Reed Gray
04-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Kathy,
After seeing all of your forms, I may have to try some more hollow forms. They never sold well for me, mostly because I do things by eye, and I can eye a bowl form well, but not so much the hollow forms.

robo hippy

Wally Dickerman
04-08-2013, 1:22 PM
I've turned a lot of myrtlewood and it's one of my favorites to turn. Cuts smooth and has a very pleasant odor, especially if it's wet. However, unless it's highly figured it isn't a very attractive wood IMO. The piece you have is two-toned which helps. But I think it needs more. A contrasting collar for starts along with three burned black lines around the collar would be good.

Wally Dickerman
04-08-2013, 1:58 PM
Figured myrtlewood with a collar and a couple of beads....3 beads might look better259377

Tim Rinehart
04-08-2013, 2:05 PM
Kathy, the form is very nice on this piece, and while the wood is attractive, I agree with comments that a little pyro, either as a collar, or band below the collar, would be nice and take it up a notch. For that matter, you could do something that rings completely around this and if done well, it will be even better than it is now.
I do especially like the small turned up area at the opening. Makes for a very clean piece...and a good canvas for any embellishment!
For those who think you shouldn't embellish a piece of nice wood...a great example is some box elder burl done by Wally...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?186894-My-Latest-Beaded-PIece&highlight=bead+burl
Before I saw that piece and others of his, I would never have considered beading or otherwise embellishing right over the burl or figure in a wood...but Wally demonstrates that with a little courage and practice, it's just another canvas for artistic release. Take a look at Binh Pho's work...much of it starts off as box elder burl too, a gorgeous wood on it's own, even without the red stains being present.
By the way Kathy...geez, you've been busy!! You sure made up for lost time.

robert baccus
04-08-2013, 2:49 PM
Classic form and wood. I vote no graffiti on this one for sure yeah. If you say it's Myrtle i'm sure it is but golly it looks like Y Poplar with a bit of mineral streak--bueatiful.

Reed Gray
04-08-2013, 3:18 PM
The Myrtle, which is actually a California Bay Laurel, can have rainbow colors in it, mostly in the green/gold/tan/black ranges, but can also have reds in it (one table I made looked like some one spilled some burgundy wine on it and wiped most of it up). When polished, it glows like Koa or Mahogany. It can smell sweet and spicy, or smell like the bottom of a horse stall. I favor plain and simple. It does tend to dull the tools, and I figure that is a silica content thing because the best colors come from the coastal areas.

robo hippy

David Reed
04-08-2013, 7:58 PM
For what it's worth, I am in the pyro camp. Love some of your recent pyro and in full agreement with Wally that the wood could benefit from said embellishment.

Baxter Smith
04-08-2013, 8:23 PM
Very nice looking form Kathy. Reed sent me a piece of Myrtle a couple of years ago and I cored it into three shallow bowls. The only one I have finish turned has a nice glow to it. A band around the rim was dyed black and I think it goes well with the wood. I am sure you would make it look good!

robert baccus
04-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Thanks, wish I had more. I've only turned 2-3 pieces and had never seen it with that coloration.

Kathy Marshall
04-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I'm working on another project that might take a few days, so I'll just leave this piece for now and see if any designs pop into my head. The good thing is I have 3 more blanks so I have 3 more chances if I mess this one up :eek:.

I think it would look great just shinned up. How do you like the Robo Rest??? I've been saving my pennies, but something always comes up where they disappear.

very nice form, either way, emblish or not, i find the emblishment takes away some attention to form

i do not have one of Reed's robo rest yet, looks very good, i just wonder with some of my worn short scrapers if the bed could be smaller, the wolverine came out with a smaller bed and i could get more use of some of tools
Dennis and Charlie, I really like the Robo Rest. With the pin setup, repeatable angles take all of 2 seconds to set up. I also like that the pivot point means that you don't have to adjust it in and out when you change the angle since the edge of the table always stays the same distance from the wheel.

I've turned a lot of myrtlewood and it's one of my favorites to turn. Cuts smooth and has a very pleasant odor, especially if it's wet. However, unless it's highly figured it isn't a very attractive wood IMO. The piece you have is two-toned which helps. But I think it needs more. A contrasting collar for starts along with three burned black lines around the collar would be good.
Thanks Wally! This was very nice to turn, but it was still a little green so it's out of round enough that I can't add a collar or beads, but will definitely keep it in mind for the next one.

Kathy, the form is very nice on this piece, and while the wood is attractive, I agree with comments that a little pyro, either as a collar, or band below the collar, would be nice and take it up a notch. For that matter, you could do something that rings completely around this and if done well, it will be even better than it is now.
I do especially like the small turned up area at the opening. Makes for a very clean piece...and a good canvas for any embellishment!
For those who think you shouldn't embellish a piece of nice wood...a great example is some box elder burl done by Wally...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?186894-My-Latest-Beaded-PIece&highlight=bead+burl
Before I saw that piece and others of his, I would never have considered beading or otherwise embellishing right over the burl or figure in a wood...but Wally demonstrates that with a little courage and practice, it's just another canvas for artistic release. Take a look at Binh Pho's work...much of it starts off as box elder burl too, a gorgeous wood on it's own, even without the red stains being present.
By the way Kathy...geez, you've been busy!! You sure made up for lost time.
Thanks for the reminder Tim! The piece in the link you posted is the one that inspired me to do my 1st fully beaded hf and I might just do another with one of the other blanks.

Kathy,
After seeing all of your forms, I may have to try some more hollow forms. They never sold well for me, mostly because I do things by eye, and I can eye a bowl form well, but not so much the hollow forms.

robo hippy
I enjoy turning hollow forms but I seem to be better at accumulating them than selling them :eek:.

Very nice looking form Kathy. Reed sent me a piece of Myrtle a couple of years ago and I cored it into three shallow bowls. The only one I have finish turned has a nice glow to it. A band around the rim was dyed black and I think it goes well with the wood. I am sure you would make it look good!
Thanks Baxter! If I had known how nice it turns, I might have used it to core a set of bowls. I bet it cores really nice.