PDA

View Full Version : Another wooden boat inspection (pics)

Kent Parker
05-11-2005, 9:22 PM
I haven't seen much mention in the Saw Creek on wooden boats so I thought I treat you all to one I just inspected. Inspecting pleasure and commercial boats is what I do for a living and for the past 18 years I've been called a marine surveyor.

It becomes a pleasure and an honor to be able to crawl through a well maintained and crafted vessel knowing of the time, the engineering and patience it take to create it. Hovering in every corner is the oara (spelling?) of someones dream. Sometimes you just have to pause to ponder it.

This is one of the nicer wood boats left here in the SF bay. Unfortunately many of the beauties that I gawked at and dreamed over as a kid are becoming fewer and fewer as they get older and the pace of life is such that the average boat owner has no time or desire to take care of a wooden boat. She's about 58' long and was built in 1935. Rebuilt in 86. The blue in the photos (most of it) is masking tape due to the boat being varnished.

Enjoy :)

KP

Corey Hallagan
05-11-2005, 9:43 PM
Wow, that is sweet, thanks for the photos. I take it that is mahogany, isn't that what they use in most boats? It looks well cared for.

Corey

Alan Turner
05-12-2005, 4:52 AM
Very impressive. I would think that by the time you got through with the varninshing, it would be just about time to start over, varnishing again.

John Bailey
05-12-2005, 9:07 AM
Kent,

Would like to see many more of the wood boats you survey. Looks like a William Atkin design, sort of a long version of an "Ingrid." Interesting placement of the anchor. I would think that would be a drag during time where the boat is heeled much. Great boat and lots of woodwork to keep up.

John

Scott Banbury
05-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Kent,

Would like to see many more of the wood boats you survey. Looks like a William Atkin design, sort of a long version of an "Ingrid." Interesting placement of the anchor. I would think that would be a drag during time where the boat is heeled much. Great boat and lots of woodwork to keep up.

John

Kent,

I second John's sentiment about more pic posts (and the funny anchor placement).

Well crafted boats are indeed becoming rare.

I helped re-fit and re-rig a few while I lived in the San Diego area and found that it was largely an older demographic that appreciated the quality of wood and the the art of maintenance.

It seemed that most of the younger sailers, even the ones with $$$, wanted easy to maintain glass and plastic everything, even if it meant it being an essentially disposeable boat.

My secret plan behind buying my sawmill is to lay up enough White Oak, Cypress and Cherry to "retire" on. I'm Thinking a lapstraked Thistle.

:)

Mark J Bachler
05-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Shiver my timber, that's a dandy.

Kent Parker
05-12-2005, 10:32 AM
John,

I've posted a profile picture of this boat for you. It's a Ed Shock design. I've only seen a few of his designs and they all have that bold graceful shear line. Very distinct.

I agree with the anchor placement. Cutting a big hole in the bows port and starboard and then sticking that big lever of an anchor in it to torque away at the bow when in a seaway just isn't good thinking. It is easy to use and store though....

Scott,
A Thistle is a pretty racey little boat to retire to. It would definitely teach you how to "bend" wood. From the bow to the stern is in all probability is a 90 degree bend for the planks. It would be a great project !!

KP

Dave Richards
05-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Kent, that's a very nice looking boat. I also agree that the anchor looks like it would wreak some havoc in a seaway. So when you did the survey, did you find anything in the way of damage due to that?

How old is the boat?

James Stewart
05-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Someone stole the steering wheel.:eek:

Tyler Howell
05-12-2005, 12:35 PM
That's beauti! I don't have enough time to keep her up.:o

Lee Schierer
05-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Boy she's in great condition. Someone must spend lots of time and money on her. Not sure how it would hold up in snow country like we have. Wooden boats have far more charm than the sleek new molded ones. Thanks for sharing.

John Bailey
05-12-2005, 1:03 PM
It was beautiful before, but the profile makes my heart go pitter-patter.

John

Hank Knight
05-12-2005, 3:37 PM
John,
I've posted a profile picture of this boat for you. It's a Ed Shock design. I've only seen a few of his designs and they all have that bold graceful shear line. Very distinct.

Scott, A Thistle is a pretty racey little boat to retire to.
KP

That's a beautiful bow profile and sheer line. They remind me of some of the old Herrishoff designs, like Ticonderoga. I think "Big Ty" used to be berthed in San Francisco. Is it still there? It's one of the most beatutiful wooden boats afloat.

I raced Thistles for 20 years and I don't think I want to retire to one. I'm not nearly as athletic at 60 as I was at 30. We used to call blood "thistle paint" because getting banged and cut up was just part of the drill.
Thanks for posting the pictures. They stir my longing for the water.

Kent Parker
05-13-2005, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=Hank Knight]That's a beautiful bow profile and sheer line. They remind me of some of the old Herrishoff designs, like Ticonderoga. I think "Big Ty" used to be berthed in San Francisco. Is it still there? It's one of the most beatutiful wooden boats afloat.

I'll agree with you about Ti, she is a beautiful design. Her home base was in Newport for a while, visited SF only.
I've owned two of Herreshoff's designs, one design he calls Nereia which I owned for 18 years. My uncle had one for 20 years so I've got a fair amount of mileage on the design. She looks like a half scale model of Big Ti being 36' on deck.

Here's a shot of her hauled out

Cheers,

KP

Hank Knight
05-13-2005, 5:04 PM
Beautiful!
Years ago my father an I had a Cape Cod Marlin. It was a little 23 foot redesign of a Herrishoff Fish Class with a cabin. We used to sail it up and down the South Carolina and Georgia coast and took it to the Bahamas a couple of times. She wasn't very fast, but she handled well and was great in a blow. I've been a Herrishoff fan most of my life. I'd love to see your 36 footer.

Carl Eyman
05-13-2005, 5:50 PM
As we are posting pictures of favorite boats, I can't sit by without submiting my favorite - Brilliant. A Stephens & Sparkman design. Among the many races she's won is overall winner (by handicap) in the Tall Ships' race eastbound across the Atlantic in 2000 (?). I was privilaged to sail on her a few years ago. She also was built in 1935. Visit Mystic Seaport's website if you have further interest.

Steven Wilson
05-16-2005, 11:53 AM
As we are posting pictures of favorite boats, I can't sit by without submiting my favorite - Brilliant. That's a fine ship. The band I was in for awhile use to do fund raisers for the Elissa in Galveston, TX. We were lucky enough to go sailing on her once and awhile - a great adventure.

Carl Eyman
05-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Lucky You, Steve. I saw her once but it was after hours so I didn't get to go aboard, much less sail on it.

Dave Richards
05-16-2005, 1:04 PM
I'll have to chime in and post a picture, too, then. There are too many boats on my favorites list but here is one of the top.
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/norm.jpg

PRAIRIE ISLANDER
This is a Farne Islander designed by Iain Oughtred. It was built by Norm Messinger in Omaha, NE. A very beautiful boat built by a very special guy.

I was planning to get to see this boat in person in a couple of weeks at a gathering of boat builders here in Minnesota but Norm passed away last Thursday.

Perhaps more special than the boat is that Norm took the time to build small boats with all his "grand neighbors". The was his term for all the kids in his neighborhood. Every one of them got to build a small rowboat, canoe or kayak with Norm.

Here's one of the man himself helping one of those grand neighbors.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/p94022d5bca9db9dcc0c393aa5b97ce2d/f79174f2.jpg

Not only does his passing leave a big hole in that neighborhood, it leaves one in the worldwide boat building community.

Nate Heffter
05-16-2005, 6:41 PM
For those in an around Seattle, either permanently or just a visit, make sure you include a visit to the http://www.cwb.org . While few remain in pristine condition, there are a ton of smaller boats that all demonstrate great craftsmanship.