PDA

View Full Version : Rust Gloat and a request for help

Robert Flowers
04-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Found these at a estate sale and a yard sale a #4 bailey.#5 bailey with a corrugated sole. Stanley 60 1/2,Craftsman block plane,Stanley handyman plane #4? , small knuckle plane, a Stanley Bull nose plane,a Stanley Axe head,and two Lufkin folding rules and at the Woodworking Show i picked up the auger bits. All of this for $95.00.

Now the request for help
The 60 1/2 has a chipped mouth can this still be a user or wall art?
The Stanley handyman has a broken yoke. #1 can you find and replacement yoke and where?
#2 How hard is it to replace a yoke?
The knuckle plane has some heavy pitting behind about 1/4" to 3/8" the mouth still be a user or wall art? Though i got a picture of the sole will try to get one tomorrow afternoon when i get home .

Jim Koepke
04-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Found these at a estate sale and a yard sale a #4 bailey.#5 bailey with a corrugated sole. Stanley 60 1/2,Craftsman block plane,Stanley handyman plane #4? , small knuckle plane, a Stanley Bull nose plane,a Stanley Axe head,and two Lufkin folding rules and at the Woodworking Show i picked up the auger bits. All of this for $95.00.

Now the request for help
The 60 1/2 has a chipped mouth can this still be a user or wall art?
The Stanley handyman has a broken yoke. #1 can you find and replacement yoke and where?
#2 How hard is it to replace a yoke?
The knuckle plane has some heavy pitting behind about 1/4" to 3/8" the mouth still be a user or wall art? Though i got a picture of the sole will try to get one tomorrow afternoon when i get home .

If the chipped mouth doesn't dig into the wood, it can be used.

Replacement yokes are sometimes listed on ebay. Usually you can get them for a few bucks. The shipping should not be much more than the cost of the yoke. Fairly easy to replace. Search using the Saw Mill Creek search box of > junker to jointer < and you will find my post that includes that procedure in there somewhere.

I am not sure if you are calling the plane that looks like a #103 a knuckle plane or if there is another plane not shown. They are a nice little plane. Clean up the rust and see how it does. It isn't a precision device for taking off gossamer shavings. It is great for working corners down or other small trim jobs.

If the attached image is of the #60-1/2 mouth, that isn't too bad. It looks like you may need to clean under the movable shoe for the mouth adjustment.

jtk

Robert Flowers
04-08-2013, 9:15 PM
The image is of the 60 1/2 mouth and this is the knuckle plane 259421
it has a threaded hole in the toe for a knob i thank, it must be a very small knob any idea if anyone has a pattern of one?

Dave Parkis
04-08-2013, 10:56 PM
I'm not sure how easy it will be to replace the yolk on the Handyman. They are a pretty common plane (at least around here) and you might want to keep an eye ouot at garage sales and grab one for the frog.

Bill Houghton
04-09-2013, 1:07 PM

That's not actually a knuckle-joint cap. The knuckle-joint caps have two-part caps and linkages connecting them. When you snap down the top part, there's a really distinct "click." See http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan3.htm#num18 for some photos of knuckle-joint caps. What you've got may have, or may have had, a tightening screw at the top, under the "dome" of the cap, that tightened against the iron. If not, then the lever cap would be tightened with the screw each time you replaced it. Either way, it's a low-grade utility plane, cute but maybe not the first plane to which you should pay attention. Once you clean it up, if it's a Stanley, there should be a number on the body; and you can go to Stanley's tool parts source and see if you can get any missing bits: http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/

Sorry to disappoint. You did right well with your total purchase package, and these little planes have their uses. If you've got kids, now or in the future, they're a good plane for a child to learn on, as long as you sharpen the iron well.

Pinwu Xu
04-09-2013, 7:58 PM
The image is of the 60 1/2 mouth and this is the knuckle plane 259421
it has a threaded hole in the toe for a knob i thank, it must be a very small knob any idea if anyone has a pattern of one?

If it has a lever under the blade (to control the blade), it's a 103; if it doesn't have the lever, it's the 102
Besides, the plane is wider in the middle than at the ends

I've a no name 103, and like it a lot.
The 102, without easy blade depth control, will be little hard to use