PDA

View Full Version : Wood of course

robert baccus
04-07-2013, 8:59 PM
Momma said to do it and I did. I cut down her 25 year old Redbud tree which I've lusted for many times. Dead in the top--yea. Maybe 12-13 inches at the ground. Mostly solid and 90% heartwood--black to yellow. Never turned more than a scrap of this stuff and no one told me it was as hard as Osage. I was much surprised by this---bueatiful stuff.

James Combs
04-07-2013, 9:04 PM
Sounds like a nice score but of course without pics it didn't happen.;)

Tom Wilson66
04-07-2013, 9:12 PM
I had a redbud in my backyard destroyed in a storm, and have cut some of it up for bowl blanks and pen blanks. Love the stuff, turns well and my is a deep chocolate brown with lighter brown streaks. Have to keep the tools sharp, but worht the effort. The tree yields small pieces, but they are well worth getting.

Thomas Canfield
04-07-2013, 9:38 PM
I was given a section of Redbud about 8"D x 14" long. I roughed out 2 7" bowls, one regular and one NE. Both warped and one had some checking. The 6" section was turned to final thicknes into a 7" Dx 7"H hollow form with 2 windows in the sides since it was shorter than the diameter. The grain was unusual and interesting. It all happened during a busy time and the 2 bowls are still packed from my move so can't comment on how they will finish. I would like to get more and have my eye on a damaged tree in the area, but they are not too common here in Fredericksburg like they were in Tyler.

Eric Gourieux
04-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Didn't happen. You better check outside. The tree may still be standing, since you dreamt it.

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Sounds like some nice turning wood. Congrats.

robert baccus
04-08-2013, 2:30 PM
Soory about the pics----Lymes=nuerophathy=foggy=???