PDA

View Full Version : Quilted

Mike Golka
04-07-2013, 7:48 PM
This is the latest segmented piece I've been working on. The feature ring is from one of my wife's quilt patterns. The small stars in the upper ring are from the cutoffs of the main ring. 10 1/2" high and 9 1/2" wide. 985 pieces of cherry, maple, black alowood, and holy finished with tung oil. C&C welcome

Dennis Ford
04-07-2013, 8:02 PM
WOW! Great design and the feature ring blows my mind.

David DeCristoforo
04-07-2013, 8:02 PM
Every now and then, you click on a thread and the first thought when you see the image is "Oh wow!". This is one of those. And for me, not being a big fan of segmented pieces, that is saying something.

Greg Just
04-07-2013, 8:15 PM
Very nice. I just started my first real segmented piece and it won't compare to this. Thanks for sharing

Baxter Smith
04-07-2013, 8:20 PM
Ditto on Davids comment as well! What a great design! My wife is a quilter too and there are lots of possibilities for neat feature rings!

Ken Glass
04-07-2013, 9:29 PM
Mike,
Exceptional form, joinery and colour. I have done only a few segmented pieces, none with this man pieces and this one is very very nice Well Done..

Jay Yoder
04-07-2013, 9:45 PM
WOW! I really need to try to wrap my head around these segmented turnings I have seen. They are amazing!

James Combs
04-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Every now and then, you click on a thread and the first thought when you see the image is "Oh wow!". This is one of those. And for me, not being a big fan of segmented pieces, that is saying something.

WOW! I really need to try to wrap my head around these segmented turnings I have seen. They are amazing!
I really can't think of anything better to say then these two.

Bernie Weishapl
04-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Beautiful piece Mike. The ring is amazing.

Eric Gourieux
04-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Fantastic! Your patience must be off the charts.

Did you buff after applying the tung oil? I just bought some and applied it to my first piece this weekend.

Michelle Rich
04-08-2013, 6:14 AM
SUPERIOR work..the feature bands are pure delight

Steve Rost
04-08-2013, 7:11 AM
WOW, love the feature ring. As soon as i think I have my mind wraped around the design I see another component. Very good job.

Bob Rotche
04-08-2013, 7:39 AM
Just outstanding! Incredible attention to detail.

jwjerry w kowalski
04-08-2013, 9:54 AM
Wow, what an outstanding piece, everything is just gorgeous.

Mike Golka
04-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Thank you all for the kind words. This piece was a long time in the making. The feature ring was built almost a year ago and waited months for the final design to take shape.

Roger Chandler
04-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Mike........this is superb craftsmanship and design.........I am in awe!!!

David C. Roseman
04-08-2013, 6:58 PM
Wow! Remarkable. Mike, this brings to mind a thought that occurs to me frequently looking at the outstanding work on this forum: I'm not worthy. :)

David

Phil Labowski
04-08-2013, 8:35 PM
Mike,
This is just incredible. Do you use software for your segmented stuff? I'm really interested in it and would love some it if you could PM me about your process.

Jim Burr
04-08-2013, 8:36 PM
Holy cow Mike!! You sure know how to make a piece go "Pow"! Very well done and impressive to boot!

Mike Golka
04-09-2013, 8:41 AM
Do you use software for your segmented stuff?

Phil, I use "Woodturner Pro" software as well as "Sketchup" to design my projects. Malcolm Tibbetts has a very good book and several videos on segmenting.

Len Mullin
04-09-2013, 10:58 PM
I agree with most of, if not all of the previous statements, but, the one thing that I don't like about this beauty, is the second ring up from the bottom. All of the other rings have a small lght wedge that is quite noticable, this one doesn't, and I believe that that takes away from the design. If you look closley you'll see that the little wedges are a major part of the design, and the different colored ones in that ring take away from the spiral design that the other rings had started. Other than that, it is one of the most impressive pieces I've seen. Sorry for being so critical.
Len

Thom Sturgill
04-10-2013, 7:50 AM
I agree with most of, if not all of the previous statements, but, the one thing that I don't like about this beauty, is the second ring up from the bottom. All of the other rings have a small lght wedge that is quite noticable, this one doesn't, and I believe that that takes away from the design. If you look closley you'll see that the little wedges are a major part of the design, and the different colored ones in that ring take away from the spiral design that the other rings had started. Other than that, it is one of the most impressive pieces I've seen. Sorry for being so critical.
Len

I have to agree. I LOVE the quilt pattern, and it opens up all kinds of ideas to explore. It is a shame that the darts on the second row are off color. Other than that nit, the piece is fantastic, excellent joinery, great patterns, form and finish.

Mike Golka
04-10-2013, 8:52 AM
Thom and Len I'm surprised no one else mentioned that obvious flaw. Thank you for your honesty. The darts in that ring were all cut from the same board of maple as the rest and didn't look any different until I started the turning. By that time all the rings had been glued up, not sure why they look so much darker than the rest. It was definitely a disappointment.

Thom Sturgill
04-10-2013, 10:57 AM
It was definitely a disappointment.

I'm sure it was. The good news is that time and sunlight might make the difference disappear as the Cherry darkens.