PDA

View Full Version : Router table with tilting riser - Finished

Robert Tutsky
04-07-2013, 2:25 PM
Finally finished my router table with a tilting riser mechanism.

I started out by designing the riser with the idea of completely dimensioning all the parts that were going to be used to finish it but it ended up as a design as you go project which dragged out longer than I had hoped. Not sure what you could call the front or back of it as the riser adjustments are one side and I'd generally turn on and feed stock from the other side. It works though. Anyway, here's what it looks like:

You can see the vac hose connection in this shot. The dust pick-up works better than I thought it would. All of the edges that aren't glued, like the table top, door and bottom panel are edge sealed with weather stripping. The weather stripping and the foam covered feet make the unit really quiet, in fact quieter than my kitchen blender.

In this shot you get a glimpse of the riser. The larger knob on the bottom is used to fine tune the router height and is quite low in the cabinet making it awkward to usse but it doesn't really matter as a quick release captive nut enables fast approximate initial setting.

A closer shot of the riser. The center knob locks the riser in the desired place. On the lower left hand side you can see the "button" when pressed in disengages the split nut and the router can be pushed up or down. The upper left knob is used to adjust the tilt of the riser.

The router lift adjusts to a maximum angle of 47 degrees in the direction of the fence. There will be some experimentation in achieving different profiles as time goes on.

The table/cabinet really is too tall to actually be used on my bench so I built a simple cart on casters for it. The cart was built so the table is exactly the same height as my small workbench giving me more working surface if needed.

Thanks for looking and comments appreciated.