PDA

View Full Version : Superglue stains

Mike OMelia
04-07-2013, 2:07 PM
... In softwood. Spruce. I did some inlay work on a guitar. Used thin superglue. Now I see yellow stains. Anybody ever figure out how to "bleach" these out?

ian maybury
04-07-2013, 5:10 PM
It's probably going to be quite tough to shift, in that the cured adhesive forms a plastic polymer. It takes a solvent dissolve it. Acetone or nitromethane (the latter as used in high performance engine fuels - it may be possible to get it in small quantities from a model aircraft shop if it's not controlled - it can be a base to manufacture an explosive) will shift it, but, it might take a while (test?) and it's not clear whether they might mark the wood or not. Some of the cyanoacrylate makers do se-bonders, Satellite City does a nitromethane one i seem to recall from my model aircraft days. Acetone is the easy one to get i guess......

ian

Kyle Iwamoto
04-07-2013, 8:50 PM
I don't know of a way to get those stains out of spruce. I know it's too late now, but before I set an inlay in, I hit the spruce with Deft or similar product. Maybe 2 coats, if you're using really thin CA. Or use Titebond.

Bummer man, been there done that...... I don't think you can even sand that much out to get rid of the glue. It gets into the end grain.... Probably all of the inlay edge will have it.

Mike OMelia
04-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Live and learn. Too much time and money involved in redoing the top. Live with it I guess.