PDA

View Full Version : Pen Blanks from Atlantis City Boardwalk

Jonathan Clement
04-07-2013, 8:55 AM
PSI is selling pen blanks cut from pine that was salvaged from the boardwalk damaged by Hurricane Sandy. Part of the proceeds are being donated to the storm victims' fund. The wood species is listed as stabilized pressure treated pine. Is pressure treated wood considered safe to turn, and as an indoor end-use product?

Lee Koepke
04-07-2013, 9:14 AM
interesting question. at a minimum, i'd say respirator to be on the safe side. My gut (not scientific at all) turning a few pens and the dust you may breathe would not be harmful in such small amounts. I dont know if by 'stabillizing' PT it changes the airborne characteristics, it may bind more of the powdery characteristics.

As for end use, as long as you use a CA or other surface finish, there would be no concern for the end user whatsoever.

Dan Hintz
04-07-2013, 1:44 PM
When was the boardwalk last replaced? If it's the old stuff, arsenic is a very serious concern (and PSI should stop selling it). If it's the more relative stuff, there should still be concern, but at least it's not from arsenic.

Once turned, it should be just fine.

Jonathan Clement
04-07-2013, 10:15 PM
I posted an inquiry on one of their three listings for the product. Haven't answered it so far.

Jim Burr
04-08-2013, 3:29 PM
interesting question. at a minimum, i'd say respirator to be on the safe side. My gut (not scientific at all) turning a few pens and the dust you may breathe would not be harmful in such small amounts. I dont know if by 'stabillizing' PT it changes the airborne characteristics, it may bind more of the powdery characteristics.

As for end use, as long as you use a CA or other surface finish, there would be no concern for the end user whatsoever.

You're right Lee...it doesn't change the toxicity of arsenic. Jonathan, if you are turning anything without breathing and impact protection...you don't mention if you use any or not...you may want to consider a different hobby that doesn't require safety equipment.

Jonathan Clement
04-09-2013, 7:55 AM
PSI has responded to my inquiry and other inquiries regarding the pressure treated wood. Some of their responses follow. I'm not sure how stabilizing the wood would neutralize harmful chemicals, but I'm not a chemist.

"We are not aware of any harming chemicals in the blanks offered." "The wood is Pressure treated Southern Pine. Furthermore we Stabilized the wood with resins to improve machining and neutralize the effects of the chemicals." "Wear eye, skin and breathing protection the same as you would dealing with any manufactured or treated wood. The Stabilizing process will mitigate many of the chemical problems that normally occur with machining manufactured / treated products."