PDA

View Full Version : Any of you have cats that hang out in the shop?

Dan Forman
04-07-2013, 4:21 AM
If so, do they go chasing flying shavings, and do you worry about them eating something they shouldn't, or having a reaction to shavings or dust?

Dan

Richard Jones
04-07-2013, 4:52 AM
I somehow "inherited" my daughters cat. He sleeps in the shavings under the lathe. Has several little "nests" under there. Is only bothered by the air nozzle and sometimes the shop vac. Has exhibited no signs of being bothered by much of anything else........ If he eats something bad, well, that's his fault, sorry.........

John Keeton
04-07-2013, 5:47 AM
Dan, I am sure there is a marked divide amongst folks, but I don't want cats hanging out anywhere! We enjoy seeing the various wildlife - domestic cats and wildlife do not mix well.

I apologize in advance to all you cat lovers, but do the rest of us a favor and don't let them roam outside in rural areas.

Richard Jones
04-07-2013, 6:04 AM
Must agree with John. This cat stays indoors all the time, is actually scared to go out...... Feral cats here are simply target opportunities. They do far more harm than most realize.

Rich ( a cat sitter, not a cat lover) in VA

Doug Herzberg
04-07-2013, 7:14 AM
We have barn cats and house cats. Neither variety likes to be in the shop while I'm working, but the barn cats will go in when I'm away if I leave an opening. I've tried setting up a pet bed near the woodstove for one house cat, but she just wanted to go home. The only chemical I worry about is antifreeze, because of warnings I've heard about it tasting good to some animals. They seem to know to avoid the other bad stuff.

As far as wildlife, the barn cats know their place in the animal kingdom. They hunt low flying and stupid birds and pocket gophers and other rodents, tolerate raccoons, leave the koi alone and hide from most larger animals. We have a wide variety of birds at our feeders, even though it is a favorite hunting area for the barn cats.

In the cats' world, our roles are those of servants. My main duty is to provide a warm lap for them to sleep on. My wife also has to provide food and water and clean their toilet. In the shop, I'm too busy to tend to their needs.

John Coloccia
04-07-2013, 7:18 AM
My neighbor's cat comes by and hangs out all the time. This is the time of year when I can open the door, and she just waltzes right in and wants a bit of attention. Cats a pretty smart. They seem to keep themselves out of trouble for the most part.

Bill Holland
04-07-2013, 7:54 AM
As far as cats go, I would use the rule of thumb. If they are smart enough to know what is good for them, let nature thin the herd. They got 9 lives & always land of their feet.

David C. Roseman
04-07-2013, 8:33 AM
Our house cat and three dogs are family, and all cruise through the basement shop from time to time. One of the litter boxes is there. It's a big reason I try to keep shavings and sawdust swept up. Don't want the animals tracking it through the house, or the cat getting other ideas. Air-borne dust is probably not a long term issue with them because of life span. But short-term airway irritation from wood that causes sensitivity in us, I don't see why not.

I agree that cats are more destructive to wildlife than many of us think. But Richard, target opportunities?!:eek:

David

Richard Jones
04-07-2013, 8:42 AM
I agree that cats are more destructive to wildlife than many of us think. But Richard, target opportunities?!:eek:

David

Feral cats, yes. Not house cats. Big difference.

Curt Harms
04-07-2013, 9:43 AM
Yup, basement shop and 4 cats. The only 'issue' I've had is with a wood storage rack whose legs used to be 2 X 3 'til one female designated it her scratching post. Better that than the furniture for sure. My 'girlfriend' Maine Coon will come down to supervise and patrol the premises, do some bump 'n' rub, hang around a while then go back upstairs. I was surprised that she's not intimidated by the dust collector or jointer/planer.

Brian Ashton
04-07-2013, 10:11 AM
My cats have asthma so they're kept out of the shop at all times.

Rod Sheridan
04-07-2013, 11:57 AM

Here's Sir Ellington Snodgrass III inspecting the shaper for proper setup.

Ellington is an indoor cat with a dog personality.

The little girls in the neighbourhood ring the doorbell, take him out for a walk and he comes home smelling of baby powder.

He likes all animals and people and made friends with the local skunk, just before dusk the two would get together on the patio, then walk up the street together, and Ellington would walk back home.

He loves being in the shop, and noise doesn't bother him...................Rod.

Stephen Tashiro
04-07-2013, 12:09 PM
I think the biggest hazard to cats and dogs around the house and shop is having something dropped or splashed on them. I've had cats that naturally avoided falling objects. They would move away if you were holding something over them and they would favor being under a table or chair. Others are not sufficiently cautious.

Dan Forman
04-07-2013, 1:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have a basement shop with no door to isolate it. My previous cat would come down now and then, but really didn't like it all that much. She was an elderly stray that adopted me last fall, was fairly timid. She had a tendency to get into places she could not easily get down from without knocking things over. My shop is not really very cat friendly, as it evolved without a cat to think about. Here is Shakti in the one spot that I cleared out for her where she couldn't get into too much trouble. As you can see, she was watching my every move with rapt attention... http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0974.jpg

She died suddenly and quite unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago, and I now have another younger cat adopted from a local shelter. He will be an indoor cat, as I agree about the harm that outdoor cats can do to the local wildlife. He is quite the explorer, and seems to like the basement, but has not been exposed to any of the machinery noise yet, so we shall see how he tolerates that, perhaps today if there is time. I remember reading a post some time ago in the flatwork forum about a dog that was playing with a walnut shaving from a hand plane, had an adverse reaction and nearly died, which is what inspired this post. I have also heard of cats eating string and other such items, so was concerned about the possibility of him trying the same with a shaving flying from the lathe. being animated and all. I also wondered about the possibility of him thinking that shavings would make a good litter alternative.

Dan

Dan Forman
04-07-2013, 1:13 PM

Here's Sir Ellington Snodgrass III inspecting the shaper for proper setup.

Ellington is an indoor cat with a dog personality.

The little girls in the neighbourhood ring the doorbell, take him out for a walk and he comes home smelling of baby powder.

He likes all animals and people and made friends with the local skunk, just before dusk the two would get together on the patio, then walk up the street together, and Ellington would walk back home.

He loves being in the shop, and noise doesn't bother him...................Rod.

Sounds like quite the cat. Better (for all concerned) to befriend a skunk than the alternative! Nice shop too, by the way. I was the only one my former cat would tolerate, she would hide and remain hidden for quite a while after anyone would visit.

Dan

Steve Peterson
04-07-2013, 11:08 PM
We have a barn cat that spent about 2 months in my shop when we first got him as a kitten. I kicked him outside when he got big enough and the smell was too much for me. Now he sneaks in every chance he gets. He hides between boxes under the workbench.

One time he snuck in just as we were leaving for a week long vacation. There was a pile of shavings on the floor in front of the lathe that he used as a litter box. He was thin and thirsty when we came back.

I like having outdoor cats. We feed them well and they don't appear to do any damage to the environment other than eating a lot of gophers.

Steve

'Jacques Malan'
04-08-2013, 2:24 AM
The only problem with my workshop cats is that they bring the dead rats into the storeroom for us to discover them, sometimes much later.

But we are in the middle of an industrial area and we need cats for rodent control, and it is nicer to have two spayed and cuddly cats around than try and control some wild cats.

And they are not afraid of noise, the only thing that make them run is compressed air tools.

Dave Anderson NH
04-08-2013, 12:16 PM
In my rural neighborhood outdoor cats tend not to survive very long. Both the coyotes and the fishers occasionally enjoy a meal of cat when someone either lets one out or is new to the neighborhood and thinks they have an "outdoor cat". Any number of times I've found a little bit of fur, some bones and a flea collar .

Jerry Thompson
04-08-2013, 12:33 PM
My Maine Coon cat is so laid back he won't even budge when I use compressed air or crank up the planer. He is conserving energy. At this rate he should be able to take off like a rockett in a few months.

Rod Sheridan
04-09-2013, 8:34 PM
Dan, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss os Shakti.

Glad you've found another shop cat............Rod.

Tom Fischer
04-09-2013, 8:59 PM
... the harm that outdoor cats can do to the local wildlife.

Dan

Dan, sorry for your loss.

We have two indoor cats, both ragdolls. Neither is allowed either in the shop or outside.
I never was a "cat person" until getting these guys, really very remarkable animals.
Supposedly the closest a cat can be like a dog.

259514 (http://http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8215/8281140520_d4a404c933_c.jpg)

259515 (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8198/8280084889_0640e81cf9_b.jpg)

Kevin Groenke
04-09-2013, 9:10 PM
There are 3 cats in the house, only one of them is not totally freaked out when machines come on.

This is MoJo, he's always curious about what I'm up to but he seems to know when to keep his distance. The wet pawprints on the iron surfaces after he romps around in the wet shower are the worst. He's been known to hop on the dustmop and ride around on it when I sweep.

You're right about the thread/string, they'll eat it and it can kill them or require surgery.

Jim Koepke
04-10-2013, 11:50 AM
We have three cats, one is outside all the time. She, Turner, is a friendly feral and was here when we moved here. Our other two cats adopted us when we lived in California. Skittles likes to go outside. Cricket is afraid of people and has only ventured outside once or twice and is always freaked out by being outside.

Skittles and Turner both will cruise through the shop looking for mice. Turner likes to rub and bump and sleep in a pile of shavings. Watching them walk away for a private meal with a fresh caught mouse makes my day.

jtk