PDA

View Full Version : Dead 7519 router...

Kelly Colin Mark
04-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Another dead/dying PC router: mine is a 7519 that I bought here a while ago. It worked when I got it, then it sat for a while until I finally had another router table to put it in. However, when I did so, it would not start at all.

I'm not at all electrically minded, but I did take off the top plastic cover. Switch is OK, there's power across the terminals when there should be. Other than that, I have no idea where to begin. I couldn't get into the main body (under the metal) - I removed 4 screws that look like it would retain it, but nothing budged.

Write-off ?

Dennis Yamamoto
04-07-2013, 2:08 AM
Kelly,

I had a 7519 with a bad soft start module. Try bypassing (shorting) the soft start module to
see if this fixes it.

Dennis

Bruce Wrenn
04-07-2013, 9:52 PM
Kelly,

I had a 7519 with a bad soft start module. Try bypassing (shorting) the soft start module to
see if this fixes it.

DennisAbsolutely the cheapest "soft start module" ever produced. They are two kinds, those that have failed and those that will fail.

Mike OMelia
04-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Don't forget to check the brushes. May be some junk in there building up resistance. But not likely the issue. Easy check the box item however.

Kelly Colin Mark
04-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks guys... at the risk of looking dumb, how does one bypass the soft-start ? I did a search and did not find anything promising.

And to get to the brushes, I assume I'm going to need to get inside the part of the motor that is surrounded by metal. But I couldn't separate that from the part where the wiring and switch was. Is there a trick ?

thanks again- I appreciate it.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Kelly,

At the top of the router is a cover. It's held on by 4 screws. Remove the screws and the top should lift off. In a recessed area on opposites of the motor are the brushes. Look at this drawing for a reference. You are looking for part number 3. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/images/porter_cable/7519.pdf

Thomas Hotchkin
04-08-2013, 1:04 AM
Kelly
This is off e replacement web site hope it helps. Tom

When trouble shooting the 7538 you need to by bass the soft start module .
1. Check continuity on the cord.
2. check continuity on your on/off switch.
3. Check continuity of brushes through the armature.
4. check field continuity.
If this all checks out ok then its most likely your soft start module that is bad. Hope that helps.Good luck.

Dennis Yamamoto
04-08-2013, 1:26 AM
Kelly,

The soft start module is part #9 in Ken's pdf reference. I don't quite remember what I did since I don't
have the router any longer. I think I put a wire across the two terminals of the module, "bypassing" it.
The router fired up, so I bought a replacement module.

Just be careful with live power - it can give you quite a shock, and in the worst case, stop your heart!

Dennis

Kelly Colin Mark
04-08-2013, 6:27 PM
Thanks guys. The parts diagrams are very useful.

They only seem to show a single part labelled as a brush, but every article I've read since seems to refer to brushes in the plural. Should there be more than one brush ?

Hopefully I will be able to study the motor tonight.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2013, 8:08 PM
It's been my experience, Kelly, brushes work in pairs.

Mike OMelia
04-09-2013, 12:31 AM
Yup. Pairs. These are accessible via ports on the outside of the unit. There will be a spring on each one, so careful on the extraction

Kelly Colin Mark
04-09-2013, 9:07 AM
Thanks guys. Now that I know what a brush is and that it might be my problem, I did a search and found this walkthrough to replace the brushes on a 7518/9: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/article/8110/Quick_Fix_How_to_Replace_the_Brushes_on_a_Porter_C able_7518_or_7519_Router.html

Just in case this helps anyone finding this thread.

Charles Lent
04-09-2013, 10:45 AM
While you're in there replacing the brushes you should check the condition of the commutator, the copper pieces on the armature of the motor - the part that the brushes rub on. They should be bright copper color with no burning or black marks. An old typewriter eraser, the kind of eraser with abrasive embedded in it, works well to clean them up. Just spin the armature from the collet end with your fingers while rubbing the eraser on the commutator. If you don't have one of these erasers, a narrow piece of fine emery cloth wrapped over the end of a popsicle sized stick will work too. Be careful not to damage the wire connections on the armature end of these copper pieces. You only want to clean up the area where the brushes rub. When you have completed this sanding step, blow out the motor with compressed air to remove as much of the abrasive as possible.

Charley

Bill Holland
04-09-2013, 12:49 PM
I use to manage a power tool repair house in VA, if you can't fiure it out you can always send it to me I will get you fixed up. All I ask in return is for you to cover cost of parts & shipping to & from me.

Message me if you want to send it to me,
Bill

Mike OMelia
04-09-2013, 1:32 PM
Thanks guys. Now that I know what a brush is and that it might be my problem, I did a search and found this walkthrough to replace the brushes on a 7518/9: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/article/8110/Quick_Fix_How_to_Replace_the_Brushes_on_a_Porter_C able_7518_or_7519_Router.html

Just in case this helps anyone finding this thread.

How do you know the brushes are bad? If you have never ordered from e-replacement parts, you may find their shipping time long... I do. Thus, you might want to order that soft start part as well. Or you could be down for a while.

Kelly Colin Mark
04-10-2013, 7:43 PM
I don't know that the brushes are bad... I still have to clear enough space off my bench to take a look at it.

Bill, thanks for the tremendously generous offer. I may have to take you up on it ;-)