PDA

View Full Version : About Chat.....

Roy Wall
05-11-2005, 7:38 PM
Just some FYI,

I notice that when several members say their leaving chat; what they actually do is exit out of SMC using a different window. They are still logged on to Chat - even thought they're long gone.....

Anyway, the only way I log off chat is from the upper right window..just close it out...

Hope this helps....

Roger Bell
05-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the tip Roy. Since you raise the topic of the mechanics of vChat, I could use some advice.

I am having some difficulty using the Chat room, having participated in the past two weekly HT chats.

First, the Chat Room and the ongoing conversation is shown in one window. This window does Not include the single bar wherein I can type my comment and then post it. This bar is shown in a separate window. This seems odd. I am going back between windows first to post and then to read. So something is wrong there.

Second, the Chat Room window NOT does refresh itself unless I post. If I don't post, I have to "refresh" manually in order to see additions to the conversation. I would expect to see the conversation happening in real time akin to "instant messaging", like Yahoo or AOL.

While I am managing to kinda make it work, if someone out there more familiar with the mechanics of vChat can offer suggestions, i would appreciate it. It may be something peculiar to the VChat software interfacing with my Mac/Safari browser, or perhaps (and more likely) I am just missing something obvious.

Richard Gillespie
05-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the tip Roy. Since you raise the topic of the mechanics of vChat, I could use some advice.

I am having some difficulty using the Chat room, having participated in the past two weekly HT chats.

First, the Chat Room and the ongoing conversation is shown in one window. This window does Not include the single bar wherein I can type my comment and then post it. This bar is shown in a separate window. This seems odd. I am going back between windows first to post and then to read. So something is wrong there.

Second, the Chat Room window NOT does refresh itself unless I post. If I don't post, I have to "refresh" manually in order to see additions to the conversation. I would expect to see the conversation happening in real time akin to "instant messaging", like Yahoo or AOL.

While I am managing to kinda make it work, if someone out there more familiar with the mechanics of vChat can offer suggestions, i would appreciate it. It may be something peculiar to the VChat software interfacing with my Mac/Safari browser, or perhaps (and more likely) I am just missing something obvious.

I'm using an IBM clone and don't have the issues you are experiencing. I think it's your software. The conversations refresh themselves on my computer with no interaction from me. It does run slow sometimes though. I have the same problem as everyone else if my mouse pointer sets too close to the post button.