Richard Jones
04-06-2013, 6:37 PM
Approx. 5 3/4"h x 4"w (including pull).

C & C always appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Rich

Bill Holland
04-06-2013, 6:41 PM
Another quality piece, I do have a question- comment, Have you ever tried to turn the finial piece from the top? It looks like it was turned separate & glued to the lid. It may just but the way I am seeing it in the photo.

Bill

Michael Stafford
04-06-2013, 8:14 PM
Richard, that is a beautiful little box. I love the form and the bead which set off the join. Instead of concealing the join the beads celebrate it. Since you put a nice little knob on top is this a loose fit i.e. one handed operation box? Whenever I put a knob on the box I expect folks to try and open the box with it so I make sure they can.

Richard Jones
04-06-2013, 8:42 PM
Mike,

Yes, one-handed operation. Almost everything I make now is loose fit. The couple of suction fit boxes that I sold last year were brought back to be loosened.........:(

Bill,

Yes, finial turned separately.

Bill Holland
04-06-2013, 9:43 PM
Have you ever tired to leave enough wood on the lid to turn the finial as part of the lid? Just curious as it seems like that would be more durable as a 1 piece deal.

Bill

Baxter Smith
04-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Very very nice Richard! Makes me want to take some of the walnut I don't know what to do with and make a couple!

Brian Kent
04-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Very tasteful and beautiful.

Kathy Marshall
04-07-2013, 12:48 AM
Very nice Richard!

Richard Jones
04-07-2013, 5:08 AM
Have you ever tired to leave enough wood on the lid to turn the finial as part of the lid? Just curious as it seems like that would be more durable as a 1 piece deal.

Bill

Bill,

yes, I've done a few of those years ago, but like the opportunity to use a different wood for the knob. As far as strength goes, I guess you could snap the finial off, but you'd have to work at it, and I expect the lid would suffer as well.259267 This is a 2009 box, so be gentle.............

Michael Stafford
04-07-2013, 6:16 AM
Mike,

Yes, one-handed operation. Almost everything I make now is loose fit. The couple of suction fit boxes that I sold last year were brought back to be loosened.........:(

One thing that can make suction fit lids easier is to increase the length of the tenon on the body of the box if the design lends itself to a longer tenon. It is much easier to get a suction fit with a longer tenon which is 3/8" or more long. Raffan boxes have tenons up to 1/2" long or more in some of his designs and do not seem to have the problem of tightening up that you mention. I think that is because the longer tenon lends itself to making finer adjustments than a short tenon. I know I have fewer really tight fits since I learned this.

Richard Jones
04-07-2013, 6:39 AM
Mike,

Good tip for sure, thanks.

What I meant was, the owner didn't like the nice suction fit lid that I worked so hard on, wanted it loose, so back into the vac chuck it went........ They couldn't seem to grasp that it was designed to be that way.......

Bernie Weishapl
04-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Really a nice looking cannister. On cannisters I make for like flour, sugar, coffee, etc I use a loose fit lid. I have had a few of my lidded boxes come back to make the lid loose fitting because they had arthur in their hands and it made it difficult for them to get the lid off.

David DeCristoforo
04-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Extremely nice looking box/canister. The gentle curve of the sides is sweet!

Chip Sutherland
04-07-2013, 5:08 PM
Very pleasing shape and use of walnut grain. I like the finial.

Keith Outten
04-08-2013, 7:40 AM
Richard,

I suggest that you enter your box in the Baileigh Industrial Box Contest.
The prize is $1,600.00 that you can spend on any machine on their web site.

charlie knighton
04-08-2013, 7:50 AM
really like your bow, if you do enter the Baileigh bow contest, one of the rules is it must have Baileigh on the box, maybe photoshop it on instead of actually putting it on one of your fine boxes

David C. Roseman
04-08-2013, 7:11 PM
Richard,

I suggest that you enter your box in the Baileigh Industrial Box Contest.
The prize is $1,600.00 that you can spend on any machine on their web site.

I second Keith on that, Richard. Very elegant.

Also agree with Mike Stafford about the beading celebrating the joint. But then it occurs to me that you may have placed the joint above the beading as a surprise feature!

David

David C. Roseman
04-08-2013, 7:18 PM
Meant to ask, also: Did you turn this green? Your love of boxes is contagious, and I have lots of green Black Walnut and Maple cut-offs from roughing bowl blanks that are large enough for small boxes.

David

Richard Jones
04-08-2013, 8:21 PM
David,

You can rough them out green, which makes the drying process quicker, but turning green to finish would result in a box/lid that would soon oval and it wouldn't be a lidded box anymore!

you can get away with not absolutely dry with a loose lid, but a suction fit lid requires dry, period.

Baileigh Inc
04-17-2013, 8:53 PM
well done :D

bob svoboda
04-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Nice cannister. Love the simple form and your detail work augments the piece nicely.

Art Manansala
04-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Wow, gorgeous. Makes me motivated to get back into the shop this weekend.

Thanks for sharing,

Art