PDA

View Full Version : A Somewhat Leaky Vessel

David DeCristoforo
04-06-2013, 5:12 PM
A while back, I stopped by Brad Adams' shop and he gave me a couple of chunks of madrone burl. I knew the instant I saw them what I wanted to do with them. Only thing is, they were sopping wet. I know there are many who have some distain for accelerated drying processes but I really wanted to try some of them. Thing is, I'm not a young man and I have never been known for extraordinary patience. Time is precious and I am not thrilled by spending it on things like watching wood dry. I am also aware of the fact that madrone is very prone to warping and cracking as it dries and that is not something I am thrilled with either. So I thought I would take a shot at a couple of things with these small pieces.

To begin with, I used Brad's boiling method to stabilize the roughed out pieces. Brad air dries his rough outs after the boiling process. But Brad has mountains of roughouts that have been in various stages of drying for a long time so he pretty much has pieces ready to finish turn at any time. Being somewhat late to the game, I do not have this "luxury". Nor do I have a "stash" of dry wood to work with. So I put my now even more sopping wet madrone through the microwave drying process using the protocol spelled out in Marshall Gorrow's article on the subject. The only thing I bypassed was the weighing, relying instead, on my moisture meter. I know these pin type meters are not hailed for accuracy. But I have found that wood measuring around 12% is "just right" for turning, dry enough to finish turn without cracking or distorting but not so dry as to through off dust instead of shavings.

During the first few cycles in the microwave, the water just pored out of these pieces of wood. There were puddles in the oven and water was dripping from the top. So I dried out the oven after each cycle. I did not record any specific data about times or numbers of cycles but the total time babysitting the process was probably a total of a few hours over several days and in that time this wood came nicely down to an acceptable MC level with no checking and very little distortion.

Peter Blair
04-06-2013, 5:35 PM
Amazing work again David! I'm always on the edge of my seat to see what you will show us next.
I do have one question if you have the time and inclination to answer it.
When you say you used the Microwave method, did you microwave the whole block or rough turn it first?

Brian Kent
04-06-2013, 5:42 PM
Stunning is an understatement. How so you get the step to balance on that little marble?

Chip Sutherland
04-06-2013, 5:42 PM
I like the blood-like dribble out the holes and down the sides. Of course, it is a great looking piece. My thin stem skills suck.

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2013, 6:04 PM
Just beautiful David. Beautifully done.

Roger Chandler
04-06-2013, 6:13 PM
Well done, David! Another beauty of a form, and the leaking from the inside out theme is unique and tastefully done........it does not overpower the form, but makes your statement to back up your title.

Your drying effort looks like it worked well with the madrone.........I hope it retains the form.......don't know if it will continue moisture loss, but that would be a shame for the madrone to keep shrinking a ruin a fine form like this......well played!

Eric Gourieux
04-06-2013, 7:25 PM
I love your work, David. This is no exception. What is the size?

jwjerry w kowalski
04-06-2013, 7:33 PM
David, I'm always spellbound by your work, telling myself someday maybe I'll be able to make something like that. Absolutely beautiful.

Steve Mawson
04-06-2013, 8:22 PM
As usual very nice David. Superb in every detail. Is the bottom of the vessel hollowed to a thin wall thickness?

Reed Gray
04-06-2013, 8:38 PM
DD,
If you can, get a little wet piece, finish turn it to about 1/8 inch thick, then let it air dry. The 3 dimensional surface will blow you away. It won't be sandable though, but that is what I love most about the Madrone.

robo hippy

Rick Markham
04-06-2013, 9:58 PM
Looks great David, The proportions are beautiful, as is the red inside! I even like the red drips!

David DeCristoforo
04-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Thanx for the comments.

"... did you microwave the whole block or rough turn it first?..."

Roughed out to about 1/2" thick. Then boiled and nuked.

"What is the size?"

5.5" at the rim X 18" tall.

"Is the bottom of the vessel hollowed to a thin wall thickness?"

Hollowed to a bit under 1/8" thickness. I like to keep these as thin as possible to minimize the weight when it's perched up there on that skinny stem...

"How so you get the step to balance on that little marble?"

There is a 1/8" brass rod that goes through the bead into the bottom of the form and into the stem about 1/2"

Kathy Marshall
04-07-2013, 12:29 AM
Beautiful piece as usual David!

Lee Alkureishi
04-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Incredible David,

I can't even begin to contemplate how you hollowed this! Are you hollowing from both ends, or do you have some funky homemade tools, or both?!

Lee

Michelle Rich
04-07-2013, 12:38 PM
the pink/coral?? is quite a surprise.

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-07-2013, 1:16 PM
Nice piece as usual, David. I found out the hard way you need to either work with dry wood or rough turn, dry and turn true if you intend to attach a base or finial. You seem to have found a short cut. By the way, you're not that old or your picture is deceiving. I agree, though that it is a fallacy to believe our patience increases as we age. I've got less than ever.
Sometimes the piece helps us make the art. The dribble of orange down the sides adds something I would have never planned. Love it.
faust

George Morris
04-07-2013, 11:25 PM
That is a beauty! Well done!

Mike Golka
04-08-2013, 9:12 AM
Another fine piece David, well done.