PDA

View Full Version : A Loofah Casting

James Combs
04-06-2013, 1:22 PM
Saw this at the Kroger store and wondered how it would look cast in resin.

Took it to the band-saw and cut it up into as many ~3/4 x 3/4" lengths as I could get(4-far right in pic). bunched up 3 of the cuttings from the group 2nd from right to make a 5th ~3/4 x 3/4" length and fitted it all in to my 5 section mold. Filled the mold with purple Alumilite, put the mold into my pressure pot and waited.(there is an oops here):D

The results: (I think it kind of looks like purple marble)

THE OOPS: Had a little difficulty with the pen, I forgot to turn on the pressure to the pot.:o
Had several little air pockets to fill with CA before it was done.:o

C&C appreciated.

Dennis Nagle
04-06-2013, 1:58 PM
Very cool looking.....

Scott Woodson
04-06-2013, 5:35 PM
JD,

Nice, just when you think you've seen it all :-)

Chip Sutherland
04-06-2013, 5:49 PM
Fascinating, Creative, Inspiring.....Purple was a great color, too. I bet there's a market with the ladies for other colors. I'd like to see it in black in a manly-style pen.

Let's cast the whole dang sponge and spin it up!!!! Wishing I had built a pressure pot.

Peter Blair
04-06-2013, 5:50 PM
Really nice. Great idea.
Who else would have thunk it?

Jim Burr
04-07-2013, 4:18 PM
Ha!!! Those are cool JD! Try putting more loofah in the mold next time and see what happens! Peter..you should have seen the Fruit Loops I cast a few years ago...that was a kick!

Baxter Smith
04-07-2013, 7:00 PM
Pretty cool JD!

James Combs
04-07-2013, 8:43 PM
Very cool looking.....
Thanks Dennis.

JD, Nice, just when you think you've seen it all :-)
Thanks Scott, it certainly isn't original but I think it turned out decent especially with forgetting to pressurize the container.:rolleyes:

Fascinating, Creative, Inspiring.....Purple was a great color, too. I bet there's a market with the ladies for other colors. I'd like to see it in black in a manly-style pen. Let's cast the whole dang sponge and spin it up!!!! Wishing I had built a pressure pot.
Thanks Chip, actually that's not such a bad idea, casting the whole thing. Not for spinning up the whole thing but it would be very easy to cut it into pen blanks or even larger bottle stopper blanks.;) I like it, may have to try it next time. On thinking about it a full size casting would make a great looking box.:cool:

Really nice. Great idea.
Who else would have thunk it?
Thanks Peter, like I mentioned above, it isn't all that original, Curtis at TurnTex Woodworks (http://www.turntex.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=80) does some great looking cactus skeleton blanks and this is very similar.

Pretty cool JD!
Thanks Baxter, always appreciate your and everyone's comments.