PDA

View Full Version : New OSS

bill walton
05-11-2005, 6:33 PM
Does anyone think the General International 1hp OSS is worth $300 more than the similar Shopfox model from a quality point of view. This is based on the price of each at "The Utter Guys" which is 30 miles away. These are both from off-shore factories I believe. TIA

Corey Hallagan
05-11-2005, 7:40 PM
According to Grizzly, they are made side by side in the same factories as several top names in wood working, however, they probably have different parts etc. per the specs. If they have the same size motor, specs are nearly the same, unless you are partial to the GI green, I would get the White Grizzly.

Corey

Michael Ballent
05-11-2005, 8:02 PM
I would try to compare them closely, or at least the specs. I can tell you with certainty that all General International products are Asian imports, and the Shop Fox (subsidery of Grizzly) tools are also Asian imports and that I would not be surprised if they were made in the same plant. Green ones to the left line white ones to the right line. But the thing to remember is that we do not know if the specs they are built to are the same... good luck hunting errr shopping.

Richard Wolf
05-11-2005, 8:10 PM
Bill, I have the Grizzly OSS. This is a great machine as I am sure the Shop Fox also is. I think that these secondary machines made by Grizzly are perfect for the smaller shops.

Richard

bill walton
05-11-2005, 9:41 PM
I've got a Griz 16" BS and the 8x75 jointer and I'm completely satisfied. I've looked at the specs and the shop fox, possibly grizz as well, has a bigger top, the GI has neater spindle storage but I can't discern any appreciable difference apart from that although I'm sure there may be. I'm just not convinced that it's worth $300 and you helped me out. That'll buy a lot of spindle refills. SF it is for me.