PDA

View Full Version : Another Cherry Bowl

James Combs
04-06-2013, 1:01 PM
Turned this Cherry bowl recently. 2.75 x 7.75, multiple coats of polyurethane un-buffed to date.
Love to turn Cherry plus this one has some nice grain.

259171 259172 259173
259174 259176 259175

C&C appreciated.

Brian Kent
04-06-2013, 1:26 PM
Very nice. How do you re-mount to do the bottom detail?

James Combs
04-06-2013, 1:53 PM
Very nice. How do you re-mount to do the bottom detail?
Thanks Brian, I use a "live tailstock chuck adapter (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/ltca18.html)" and a vacuum chuck to reverse the bowl.

Kathy Marshall
04-07-2013, 12:58 AM
Nice bowl James!

Bernie Weishapl
04-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Really nice bowl James. Like the form.

James Combs
04-07-2013, 9:14 PM
Nice bowl James!
Thanks for the comments and for looking Kathy

Really nice bowl James. Like the form.
Thanks Bernie, always appreciate your comments.

Wally Wenzel
04-07-2013, 9:31 PM
Really like the cherry and the bowl is great also.Wally

Pat Scott
04-08-2013, 3:06 PM
My critique is to write neater. For example the word "Cherry" is messy and hard to read.

Stu Batty gave a demo at our last monthly meeting. He critiqued a couple of items and one of the areas he looked at on each piece was the signature. Not too big, not too small, don't date them. He said if you have sloppy handwriting to have your wife or someone else write for you :):). I'll add to his list by saying neatness counts, and don't number your items.

James Combs
04-08-2013, 8:59 PM
Really like the cherry and the bowl is great also.Wally
Thanks Wally, comments always appreciated

My critique is to write neater. For example the word "Cherry" is messy and hard to read.
Stu Batty gave a demo at our last monthly meeting. He critiqued a couple of items and one of the areas he looked at on each piece was the signature. Not too big, not too small, don't date them. He said if you have sloppy handwriting to have your wife or someone else write for you :):). I'll add to his list by saying neatness counts, and don't number your items.
Thanks for the frankness Pat. Seems hard to come by these days.:) I appreciate all the suggestions and will take all into consideration. However, many(actually most) of these are given away as gifts, particularly to family. Most of my family prefers my actual signature with a date. I have actually been call to visit a couple to sign/date something I missed. As to the number that's mainly for me, I used it like a stock number for keeping track of my turnings. At my age I can't depend on memory to do it.:o Again thanks for the honesty of your critique and I will appreciate more of them in the future.

Pat Scott
04-09-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm glad you took it the way I meant it (which wasn't intended as being mean, but more just giving my opinion). I see many posts where the turner asks for C&C, but they don't really want to hear anything other than how nice it is, etc. We can all improve and how else can we do that except if we hear what others think? At our monthly meetings we've had the likes of David Nittman, Trent Bosch, and last month Stu Batty give critiques. If you don't want to have your piece critiqued then don't check the "critique=yes" box for your piece. It's nice to hear what they say, I was trying to share what I've learned. I've also personally taken classes from Mike Mahoney, Glenn Lucas, Nick Cook, and Jimmy Clewes, so a lot of what I say comes from them as well. Thanks.

For pieces that I make for family and friends, I write my name, type of wood, and the year. I stopped putting the month and day based on what I've picked up from the above pros. I also was asked a few times years ago by family and friends to sign pieces that weren't signed, so now I sign everything. I've never numbered them, I go by the year to track my progress. For pieces that I'm going to sell, I stopped putting the year on them because what if doesn't sell that year? Customers don't seem eager to buy "last years" piece.

David C. Roseman
04-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Pat Scott wrote:
For pieces that I'm going to sell, I stopped putting the year on them because what if doesn't sell that year? Customers don't seem eager to buy "last years" piece.

Hadn't thought about it before, but this probably makes sense for gifts as well, unless the gift is given quite near to the marked date!

David

bob svoboda
04-09-2013, 12:27 PM
The form is a little different, but I like different. Nice job.

James Combs
04-10-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm glad you took it the way I meant it (which wasn't intended as being mean, but more just giving my opinion). I see many posts where the turner asks for C&C, but they don't really want to hear anything other than how nice it is, etc. We can all improve and how else can we do that except if we hear what others think? At our monthly meetings we've had the likes of David Nittman, Trent Bosch, and last month Stu Batty give critiques. If you don't want to have your piece critiqued then don't check the "critique=yes" box for your piece. It's nice to hear what they say, I was trying to share what I've learned. I've also personally taken classes from Mike Mahoney, Glenn Lucas, Nick Cook, and Jimmy Clewes, so a lot of what I say comes from them as well. Thanks.

For pieces that I make for family and friends, I write my name, type of wood, and the year. I stopped putting the month and day based on what I've picked up from the above pros. I also was asked a few times years ago by family and friends to sign pieces that weren't signed, so now I sign everything. I've never numbered them, I go by the year to track my progress. For pieces that I'm going to sell, I stopped putting the year on them because what if doesn't sell that year? Customers don't seem eager to buy "last years" piece.
Thanks again Pat.

The form is a little different, but I like different. Nice job.
Thanks Bob, I try to do something different with each of my turnings to make them unique, at least unique to me.:rolleyes: