PDA

View Full Version : "Elusive Series" gets new life!

David DeCristoforo
04-05-2013, 4:53 PM
A while back I posted some pics of a couple of burls I spied in a neighbor's woodpile. They had told me I could have them if I replaced them with an equal amount of firewood. That was as good a deal is I could ask for! Today, driving by that house, I noticed they had moved the woodpile and sitting right out in plain sight were two more of those burls. So I stopped and asked and was offered the same deal. So I ran home, grabbed some chunks of wood that promised little beyond their ability to burn, and swapped them put for these:

These are not as big as the others but they should throw off some nice blanks. This is the stuff I made the "Elusive" hollow forms out of so it's looking like there will be a few more.

Jay Jolliffe
04-05-2013, 5:17 PM
Any chance you could go through the steps of cutting those up for the one's that wouldn't have a clue of how to do it....

Dan Kralemann
04-05-2013, 10:50 PM
David,

A +1 on Jay's request. I get a lot of benefits from this forum and one of those are when turners do several pictures of the beginnings of the wood processing and the beginnings of the turning process.

Thanks, Dan

cal thelen
04-06-2013, 9:56 AM
I agree if david could find the time to do a pictorial would be very beneficial to alot of us. cant wait to see the new additions to your elusive series.

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Those look like some nice turnings David.

David DeCristoforo
04-06-2013, 10:40 AM
"...go through the steps of cutting those up..."

At this point I'm thinking about going for one large blank out of each of the burls. These are "branch" burls and not all that big. So cutting them up any other way might throw off more pieces but they would be much smaller. I want to get a couple of larger forms out of them. So I'm am thinking about making one cut right through the center of the branch (red square) and then bandsawing a piece out of the burl side (red circle). I haven't committed to this yet. Need a few days to ponder. But that's the idea at this point.

Brian Kent
04-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Like a diamond cutter studying a stone…