PDA

View Full Version : Curious how some vendors ship faster than others

Paul McGaha
04-05-2013, 12:59 PM
I made a couple of orders if I remember correctly last Monday morning. One to Woodcraft and the other to Rockler. The stuff from Woodcraft came in yesterday. The stuff from Rockler I think will show early next week.

All items were listed as in stock.

This is really more of an observation than a complaint. The items coming from Rockler arriving next week will be fine.

Some stores I've noticed are just blazing fast as far as shipping goes, Quill Office Supplies for one. Others seems to take them a few days to get the items to the freight companies.

PHM

Harvey M. Taylor
04-05-2013, 1:07 PM
try Penn State sometime for really slow shipping.max

David Weaver
04-05-2013, 2:51 PM
WC is fast for me (obviously they're close). Sometimes with free ship, though, they do one of those fed ex to the post office kind of things and it can take 3 or 4 days for something to come from a few hours' drive away.

Rockler is usually 2 days away. I'm assuming that they ship from MN, but who knows? They do usually fulfill pretty fast for me, but they often seem to be out of stock on things I want, too. (there's a rockler 2 miles from me, but as with a lot of things these days, it's often easier just to get stuff online than it is to go there).

Jim Tabor
04-05-2013, 3:28 PM
When I order from Grizzly the UPS guy always shows up the next afternoon. Not bad considering I live on a S.E.Missouri farm where we have to pipe in the sun light.

Kevin Bourque
04-05-2013, 6:09 PM
I ordered a new pair of glasses on Wednesday. Got a shipping confirmation on Thursday. And got them in the mail today.The total cost with shipping was $28.
I don't know how the brick & mortar stores compete with that

Harry Hagan
04-05-2013, 6:27 PM
I ordered something from Woodcraft on Thanksgiving afternoon (a Thursday and a national holiday). The package was delivered on my doorstep that Saturday morning with no delivery charge. Can't beat that!

Chris Rosenberger
04-05-2013, 7:53 PM
How fast things are delivered, depends on a lot on how fast they get the order out the door, but mostly it depends on where the distribution centers are in relation to the shippers sort center & the delivery address.

Woodcraft has a distribution center in Cambridge, OH. My orders from Woodcraft are delivered next day, if I get the order in by around 2pm.

Rockler ships out of Minnesota. Rockler orders always take close to a week or more to be delivered.

Kevin Groenke
04-05-2013, 8:04 PM
For me the most AMAZING example of "logistics" is McMaster Carr (over 510,000 items). If I get an order in before 4pm, I almost always get it the next day and if the package isn't oversize shipping is usually less than $10. Stuff usually comes from their Chicago warehouse to Minneapolis, if it has to come from the Cleveland or Atlanta it's next day or two and the shipping is the same.

The worst might be Amazon, I don't know how they make any money, sometimes I actually receive more packages than there are unique line items, makes paperwork a real pain.