PDA

View Full Version : Buy Woodmaster 718 Planer?

Paul Shaffer
04-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Creekers,
There is an estate sale around here tomorrow and they have a Woodmaster 718 planer for sale for ~$800. I assume its the base model for that price without the spiral head or the pro pack. I currently have a 12" Delta lunchbox planer, a Grizzly G0458 18" open ended drum sander. I know the Woodmaster will not replace the drum sander in the current configuration, but could with the accessories. The Delta planer, while it snipes quite a bit, is a workhorse that recently planed down about 150 bdft of rough cherry and was asking for more. The finish is near perfect, just a touch up with the ROS and done. Anyway, long story short, is the Woodmaster worth it? I would love a larger planer, as I had to recently take 60 bdft of the cherry that was wider than 12" about 45 minutes to a lumber yard to have it planed. But is the Woodmaster a good planer? Opinion in previous posts seems to vary. Looking at sold ebay auctions, the 718 can go from $800-$1900, so this one is on the low end of that. I could wait around on CL for a 15" 4-poster, they go for $600-$750 usually. Is that a better option?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Chris Rosenberger
04-05-2013, 12:50 PM
The 718 is a nice planer & it can also make molding. The price does not sound bad, depending on the condition. They may have other accessories for it, but do not know what they are.
You may still get snipe with the 718 because it does not have a pressure bar. I would take a 718 over a lunch box planer. If it is in decent condition, at that price, I do not believe you would have trouble getting your money back if you decided it was not for you.

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-05-2013, 4:17 PM
I have the 718 woodmaster planner, I bought it new over 20 yrs ago. I've never used it for anything but planning wood. It's been a fine machine & it's not for sale
but I would wouldn't want to sell it for less than $1000. If it hasn't been beat up $800 is a very good price.

Jim Matthews
04-05-2013, 5:12 PM
If it comes with the helical cutter, it's cheaper than a 15" Byrd Shelix to fit my Enco 150.

These things are VERY large. I passed on one three years ago, do to space restrictions and power requirements.
If I recall correctly, it draws 30 amps at the breaker.

If it comes with the stock knives, I dunno...

Michael Dunn
04-05-2013, 6:47 PM
I just picked up a 718. I haven't had a hence to use it a ton yet, but if you set the far end of the outfeed tables a bit high you can nearly eliminate snipe. I think $800 is a good deal especially if I has the pro pack. All mine needed was new in/out feed rollers and some new sandpaper rolls. I replace the belt with a V-Twist belt. So far I think it's a great machine. Be prepared to spend a lot on molding cutters if you plan to make trim and moldings.

Once you get the hang of it the change overs are pretty quick. Mine is an older model and there are some differences. I installed some plastic star nuts For a tool free change.

David Kumm
04-05-2013, 6:54 PM
Woodmaster makes a good machine and it planes as well as possible given the design tradeoffs needed to accomodate molding cutters. The lack of a chipbreaker or pressure bar close to the head will allow for some chatter in comparison to a dedicated planer. Price seems good though and machine will have some versatility. I would not spend for a spiral on that machine and a twist link belt is not a great choice as they are fractional HP belts and not suitable for the stress developed with that machine. VX are much better. Dave

ed vitanovec
04-05-2013, 8:33 PM
I have a Woodmaster 718 and bought it for$1500 and it came with the pro pack, 5HP motor, Router attachment...and it was never used. I think it is a really good machine and I have used the Planer, Rip Saw and Molder and had good results with each function. Chances are the machine you are looking at was bought with a pro pack, if you don't see it ask just in case they don't know it goes with the WM718. I think just by itself is worth the $800 and maybe you can negociate the price. The WM718 is built really well and is a very simple design, the nicest feature is the variable speed. Keep us posted on your decision.

Paul Shaffer
04-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Just to wrap up this thread... Thanks for all the advice. I ended up not getting the Woodmaster. Its not really what I need for my shop right now as far as size or capabilities. I think I will stick with my lunchbox planer and drum sander for the moment. But truly, thanks to everyone that offered advice.

steve vanosdol
04-10-2013, 7:47 PM
If you do buy it and want to buy the rip saws, drum sander attachment let me know. I have a 718 that I only use for moulding and I'd be willing to sell the other stuff for it.

Michael Dunn
04-10-2013, 8:46 PM
If you do buy it and want to buy the rip saws, drum sander attachment let me know. I have a 718 that I only use for moulding and I'd be willing to sell the other stuff for it.

Just out of curiosity... How much?