PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Food Recall

Charles Wiggins
04-05-2013, 11:43 AM
http://fox6now.com/2013/04/04/rich-products-corporation-expanding-recall-of-frozen-mini-meals/

David Helm
04-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Can't imagine why anyone would want to buy that anyway!

Dick Adair
04-05-2013, 4:58 PM
I normally would not comment. But what a snide remark.

David Weaver
04-05-2013, 5:09 PM
Cook any of the prepared food to 160 degrees!!

Chris Damm
04-06-2013, 8:16 AM
I normally would not comment. But what a snide remark.

Have you ever tried to eat any of that stuff?

John Coloccia
04-06-2013, 8:36 AM
Can't imagine why anyone would want to buy that anyway!

I'm with you. E. Coli is a relatively minor health risk in this case.

Jason Roehl
04-06-2013, 9:24 AM
I'm with you. E. Coli is a relatively minor health risk in this case.

+1. The amount of salt, preservatives, and chemical color and flavor enhancers pose far more health risks than easily-killed-by-cooking-thoroughly E. coli.

Stephen Cherry
04-06-2013, 11:19 AM
The number 1 rule for grocery shopping:

Buy individual ingredients, not prepared foods. Not only is it tastier, you leave out all of the nasties that are not even available to the end consumer. For example, I make my own pizzas and the ingredients are:

flour
water
salt
yeast

Don pepino pizza sauce (there are not many ingredients in it, and no scientific name ingredients)

mozzarella chease

So for about 2 dollars, it's easy to make a 16" pizza. How about, "oh, but I don't have time". It takes about 10 minutes to make a batch of dough. and about 10 minutes to cook. Plus it's fun.

Same for most everything else- just buy the ingredients, and learn to cook it up.

Larry Frank
04-06-2013, 8:54 PM
While I would not buy the Rich Foods, I do not have time to make a pizza from scratch. If you can do it in 10 minutes to make the dough and let it rise and shape it into a pizza, you are far better than anyone that I know.

I did not know that all scientific name ingredients are bad...even sodium chloride?

It is nice to do that once in the while but personally, I want to spend my time doing other things than cooking. There are a lot of very good frozen foods on the market.

Matt Meiser
04-06-2013, 9:02 PM
But Larry, its currently fashionable to judge others for things like buying prepared food at Walmart with a credit card!

Larry Frank
04-06-2013, 9:04 PM
Hi ... my name is Larry and I buy frozen foods at places like Walmart, Meijer and Samsclub. I do buy the best that I can.

John Coloccia
04-06-2013, 9:11 PM
Maybe I'm from a different time, but I remember when we used to be able to poke a bit of good natured fun at something without people getting offended. I'm going to be 40 this year, but I'm suddenly starting to feel very old.

Pat Barry
04-06-2013, 9:24 PM
OMG "expanding its recall of various heat treated, not fully cooked frozen mini meals and snack items to more than 10.5 million pounds because they may be contaminated with E. coli O121". How big a stack of boxes are we talking about to get to 10.5 million pounds? Lets assume each box is 1 pound (probably less). Lets assume each box is 1.0 inches thick (probably more). Stack them up. That's 10.5 million inches tall. 165 miles. Lets make the jokes about the enormous waste taking place. Waste of food, waste of packaging, waste of energy, waste of animals. It makes me sick just to think of the waste. Not sure the E Coli is worse.

Stephen Cherry
04-06-2013, 9:59 PM
While I would not buy the Rich Foods, I do not have time to make a pizza from scratch. If you can do it in 10 minutes to make the dough and let it rise and shape it into a pizza, you are far better than anyone that I know.

I did not know that all scientific name ingredients are bad...even sodium chloride?

It is nice to do that once in the while but personally, I want to spend my time doing other things than cooking. There are a lot of very good frozen foods on the market.

Larry, you need to let the dough rise for a while, but it does it all on it's own. So it's 10 minutes for the dough, then later, 10 mins to cook. For a while I was experimenting with 29 minute pizza from start to finish, but that takes a few tricks. As for the time, it goes by whether you are watching tv, working, sleeping, or whatever.

It seems to me that making some nice food for family and friends is not a complete waste of time.

John Coloccia
04-06-2013, 10:18 PM
I make pizza from scratch too. In a pinch, you can make it very quickly. Just use some of that Baking white stuff, and it fluffs right up. It's really not a big deal. I have a pizza stone that lives in the oven. I'm pretty sure I can make a pizza in 30 minutes, including baking time.

OK...it's not 3 minutes in the microwave, but it's not soggy and it usually doesn't have E. Coli.

I'm with Pat. What a waste, but at the same time I'm glad they're recalling it so people don't get sick. Big operations, lots of food, and when something goes wrong lots of food gets wasted. Honestly, though, there's a lot of junk in a lot of this stuff, and it's ALL way more expensive than just making it yourself.

Stephen Cherry
04-06-2013, 10:29 PM
I make pizza from scratch too. In a pinch, you can make it very quickly. Just use some of that Baking white stuff, and it fluffs right up. It's really not a big deal. I have a pizza stone that lives in the oven. I'm pretty sure I can make a pizza in 30 minutes, including baking time.

OK...it's not 3 minutes in the microwave, but it's not soggy and it usually doesn't have E. Coli.

I'm with Pat. What a waste, but at the same time I'm glad they're recalling it so people don't get sick. Big operations, lots of food, and when something goes wrong lots of food gets wasted. Honestly, though, there's a lot of junk in a lot of this stuff, and it's ALL way more expensive than just making it yourself.

If you are just using yeast, the trick to a fast pie is to have the water as warm as possible without killing the yeast.

I agree on the expense aspect also. I try to buy the best cheap food I can get. I was on a peasant food craze for a while- arroz con pollo, paella, etc. It's funny how some of the simplest cheapest foods have become "upscale". In any case, poor people the world over don't spend a lot of energy cooking, it's generally done in a hurry.

Tom Stenzel
04-07-2013, 11:54 PM
We have home made pizzas at the house all the time.

But my wife cheats and uses the bread maker to make a batch of dough. What we found makes a big difference is using a pizza stone to cook it on.

-Tom Stenzel