PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Pump Question

Thomas Heck
04-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Looking to build a vacuum system or buy a holdfast system. I guess I'll go with building one if it seems to do better. Will this pump work? I don't have much knowledge about these. Thanks,

If there is a better pump or what do I need. I have a Nova 1624-44.

Vacuum Veneer Thomas Pump 2660 Vacuum / Compressor 3-4CFM 24"VAC

Model Number 2660 CE 32,34,35,37 ( All of which are the exact same )

115V, 60HZ, 4.0A 3.5 cfm

FREE FLOW MAX: 3.0-4.4 CFM / 105.7 LITERS/MIN

Mike Golka
04-05-2013, 1:49 PM
Looks like it has enough CFM and vacuum for the purpose.

Thomas Heck
04-05-2013, 2:19 PM
Thanks! I just hate to spend $100 + on parts and pump and have the wrong thing. I'd be better to get the holdfast instead.

Jim Burr
04-05-2013, 4:21 PM
Harbor Freight has a good one for $100. Also check pawn shops in the area, HVAC guys always dump those when time are lean.

David C. Roseman
04-05-2013, 4:48 PM
Thomas - Don't know about the particular vendor you'd get yours from, so I'll just assume the pump's been rebuilt correctly. That's the model that I have and it works very well in my shop-built system. Mine actually pulls closer to 25 in Hg, according to my oil-filled gauge, though it's rated at 24 in Hg max. Your description says its volume capacity is 3-4 cfm. I'd be very skeptical of that. The factory specs show it as 3.15 cfm, according to the site of Joe Gorleski ("Joe Woodworker") where I ordered mine (along with fittings, gauge, muffler, air filter, etc.): http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Vacuum-Pump---Rietschle-Thomas-315-CFM-120-VAC-Condition-Rebuilt.html Still plenty of capacity for vacuum chucking, IMO. Pretty quiet, but I recommend you get a sintered bronze exhaust muffler for it (about $3).

The pump is an oil-free, double-piston design. So no need to service an oil port, or an exhaust filter to control oil mist. Supposedly more durable than a rotary vane design, but don't know if that's so.

Have fun building your system!

David

Thomas Heck
04-05-2013, 5:33 PM
thanks David. Did you order a kit on his site with all the gauges?

Bill Holland
04-05-2013, 8:53 PM
I purchased a 2.5cfm vacuum pump from HF. I have not had a chance to plumb it up yet to see how well it will work yet. I would be interested in what you can pull with that Thomas pump.

Bill

David C. Roseman
04-05-2013, 11:32 PM
thanks David. Did you order a kit on his site with all the gauges?

Thomas, not sure which kit you mean. If you'll just be using your system for vacuum chucking, and not vacuum pressing, you wouldn't want to order one of his kits for making a vacuum press system. More components than you need. He does sell a "vacuum chucking add-on" for $50, which probably has much of what you'll need, plus some things you wouldn't, like the piece of HDPE for making a handwheel to receive the double-shielded bearing. I'm assuming you already have the Nova outboard handwheel, and you could probably fit that up with your own shop-built adapter, using the bearing that comes with the add-on. But even with the extra items, it's probably cheaper than buying what you need separately, and more convenient. I did get the add-on, but did not set it up in the way Joe shows, since I use my system on two different lathes. BTW, JT Turning Tools makes a nice handwheel and adapter kit for your lathe. But it may be more than you want to spend. Roger Chandler recently posted on making a shop-built "plug-in" style adapter that may work for you. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?199382-Prototype-Rotary-Vacuum-adapter-shop-built

David

Thomas Heck
04-06-2013, 8:16 AM
Could you use the hold fast adapter they sell and Joe's kit? Thanks again David.

David C. Roseman
04-06-2013, 2:35 PM
Could you use the hold fast adapter they sell and Joe's kit? Thanks again David.

Sure, but if you’re going to buy the commercial Holdfast adapter, you won’t need the bearing assembly and some other things that come in the add-on. So it may be cheaper buying the fittings, air filter, bleeder valve, and oil-filled gauge separately and making up your own manifold. Don’t want to get too far down in the weeds here, as there are lots of ways to go about putting a good vacuum system together with the pump you have in mind. Lots of good info on SMC when you do a search, and on the web in general. Once you have your pump connected to your manifold, you can connect a vacuum hose from there to your headstock spindle in several ways. E.g., you can buy the commercial Holdfast adapter, or build your own using lamp rod, a bearing assembly and some ingenuity. Or buy or make a "plug-in" style adapter (like the one from JT Turning Tools) to fit into the outboard side of the through-hole in your Nova handwheel. Or make a handwheel with a built-in adapter as I did. Other ways as well. I’ve attached a couple of pics of my setup. It’s on a cabinet with casters to move from one lathe to the other. Just one of many ways to do this.

David

Thomas Heck
04-06-2013, 9:39 PM
Thanks again. I appreciate all the info. I guess it would be easier, but probably not cheaper to get the holdfast assembly.