PDA

View Full Version : Band saw

Ken Harris
04-05-2013, 8:10 AM
I will be buying a band saw in the future 16in. will be smallest,probably a grizzly would prefer Italian but those are probably out of my price range.Van Huskey made a comment about avoiding combined motor and manual brake will motor brake decrease motor life?For some reason I am prejudice against Rikon how do they compare to grizzly G0513xf or cousin of it with motor brake,I know this subject is beat to death but I want to try and avoid buyers remorse,jet I will not consider or pm had a bad expierence with jet hybrid saw luckily was able to get rid of it,pm way over priced in my opinion,though I do have a 66 cabinet saw bought near end of it's production life.

David Weaver
04-05-2013, 8:34 AM
I will be buying a band saw in the future 16in. will be smallest,probably a grizzly would prefer Italian but those are probably out of my price range.Van Huskey made a comment about avoiding combined motor and manual brake will motor brake decrease motor life?For some reason I am prejudice against Rikon how do they compare to grizzly G0513xf or cousin of it with motor brake,I know this subject is beat to death but I want to try and avoid buyers remorse,jet I will not consider or pm had a bad expierence with jet hybrid saw luckily was able to get rid of it,pm way over priced in my opinion,though I do have a 66 cabinet saw bought near end of it's production life.

I have one of the jet saws 18x saws, it's fine. I needed as big of a saw as I could get that would still run on 110. The only quibble I have about it is the stupid aluminum fence that came with it is warped about a 16th of an inch along its length and I don't have a TS, so I have to use an auxiliary fence. I wouldn't buy one now...when I got mine not that long ago, a saw shop had two and only wanted one for display and it was $1030.

I don't think powermatic relies on scrupulous customers to make a value decision, I think they believe the balance of enormous advertising dollars and claims of prestige will win out for them. The pricing theory is trickling down to the jet line now.

Far and away the goofiest price for machines for what they are was the PM both at IWF. Euro prices for far east manufacture.

Ken Harris
04-05-2013, 9:01 AM
These name brands are relying on a history that no longer exists,there was a day I would only buy American but I had to give that up now I just try to get biggest bang for the buck and still try and get as much quality as possible which often can be the tricky part.

Gus Dundon
04-05-2013, 4:50 PM
There's an interesting and informative thread here before. See this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?44257-Evaluating-Bandsaws-What-s-more-important&p=448545#post448545).
There's a huge safety advantage with band saw motor brake.

Jim Matthews
04-05-2013, 5:01 PM
Seen this (http://up.craigslist.org/tls/3704642044.html) advert, yet?

Randy Henry
04-05-2013, 5:15 PM
I have the Grizzly 513X2BF. It has the micro switch, and the foot brake. When I first got it, I played around with it to see how everything worked. When I run it and shut it off with the key, the wheels continue to turn until I press on the foot brake, where it shuts down manually. Under normal use, when it is powered up, to shut it down, I just step on the brake, and it shuts down immediately by the microswitch. I have nothing but good things to say about the saw. It's quiet, no vibrations, good fit/finish, and plenty of power. However, I picked mine up at the Springfield, MO location, and did not have to rely on having it shipped, so the chance of having it bounced around in a shipping terminal or truck was a non issue. After reading some of the shipping stories, its no wonder why some of these saws vibrate, etc.

Dave Fuller
04-05-2013, 8:39 PM
I have an 18" Chinese Laguna... I wish it was Italian, better yet American. Nonetheless, it's a really great saw, reliable, massive Resaw, super powerful, great fence, heavy/stable, big table, etc. With the Resaw King blade it will blow through 15" logs or rip dimensional lumber like a table saw. Very happy with this machine.

Ken Harris
04-16-2013, 8:12 AM
I have been in contact with Erik about minimax,but really having hard time thinking of spending $3000.00 by the time I pay for shipping.Those of you who have g0514x2b or the g0566b are you happy with your machines and would you buy again.

Jonathan Clement
04-16-2013, 10:53 PM
We have the Grizzly 17" Extreme Series G0513X2B and are very pleased with it. We just use it for straight cuts and re-sawing.