PDA

View Full Version : How to identify butternut?

Jerry Ingraham
05-11-2005, 2:33 PM
I was just made aware of the availability of an 18"x8' log and some assorted branches (no size on them) that a person had cut down and wants to dispose of. The tree service told them it was honey nut or butternut. I am at work but am going to look at it on my lunch hour and I need help in identifying it. They want $100 for the whole pile which I have not seen yet. Any quick help with bark or leaf or grain identification would be great!
Jerry

Donnie Raines
05-11-2005, 2:48 PM
See if the link below is of any help:

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_but/ht_but.htm

larry merlau
05-11-2005, 2:49 PM
the bark will resemble hickory some, the leaves probally are nt out yet they are in clusters of 7 i think the wood will be greenish to gold light weight wood simialar grain to walnut.

Greg Tatum
05-11-2005, 4:42 PM
Hello Jerry....are you aware if there is Honeynut or butternut in the Yakima area? I don't know one way or the other but I believe I've seen some Honey Locust over there....those old homesteaders did bring many of their favorites though, so it could be....anyway, at 18"x8' it would be roughly 100bf....1.00bf for good hardwood if cutting yourself seems like a good deal regardless of the type...fwiw.

Greg

chris toomey
05-11-2005, 4:53 PM
Hello Jerry....are you aware if there is Honeynut or butternut in the Yakima area? I don't know one way or the other but I believe I've seen some Honey Locust over there....those old homesteaders did bring many of their favorites though, so it could be....anyway, at 18"x8' it would be roughly 100bf....1.00bf for good hardwood if cutting yourself seems like a good deal regardless of the type...fwiw.

Greg
i'm not sure its worth it. seems like a lot for what you're gonna get out of it. i got 130 bf sitting in my shop now for 3 years....trying to find a suitable project. it is VERY soft......

Jerry Ingraham
05-11-2005, 5:18 PM
I went and looked at it and I suspect based on the leaves that it is locust or honey locust. The biggest piece is about 16"x8' but is rotted in the center. There are quite a few pieces which would make decent turning blanks but not much more. I told them that before they decided to throw it on the burn pile to call me and I'd come haul it away. The never ending quest for wood continues....