PDA

View Full Version : Saw Gloat

Aaron Walters
04-05-2013, 12:40 AM
I posted a while back trying to decide on a set of saws. I ended up going with blackburn saws, a small company in Pa. The saws are gorgeous as you can see, but they cut like a dream too. I can definitely recommend them to anyone. The dovetail is walnut burl, and the two 14in sash saws are crotch walnut.

Todd Burch
04-05-2013, 12:46 AM
Nice looking saws! Congrats!

Ron Bontz
04-05-2013, 12:55 AM
Yes, Issac makes a very nice saw. Congrats.

peter gagliardi
04-05-2013, 9:52 AM
Those look very nice! I'm glad I ordered from him a while back, knowing that they work as good as they look. I can't wait for mine!

Chris Vandiver
04-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Very nice looking saws! Just the right amount of a personal touch without going overboard. Classic!

Matthew N. Masail
04-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Those look Gorgeous ! very tasteful.

Jim Koepke
04-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Sweet set of saws.

Any tips on how to convince my wife I should buy some more saws?

jtk

Bryan Ericson
04-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Sweet set of saws.

Any tips on how to convince my wife I should buy some more saws?

jtk

Do you have a birthday coming up? Anniversary? I guess Father's Day is on the horizon, if you have kids. Memorial Day isn't typically a gift-giving day, but you could give it a shot. You've missed Easter already. How about Arbor Day or Earth Day? Save up some cash and buy a saw with a money order to keep it under the radar? :D

Jim Koepke
04-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Save up some cash and buy a saw with a money order to keep it under the radar?

Hardly, my wife can take a deep sniff and tell whether it is Lincoln, Hamilton or Jackson hitching a ride in my wallet. Grant or Franklin and she waits until I am asleep.

jtk

Pat Barry
04-05-2013, 1:05 PM
Nice saw. Looks very well built. What's the little doo-dad on the front of the backbone do? Is it some type of sighting device?

Isaac Smith
04-05-2013, 1:45 PM
Nice saw. Looks very well built. What's the little doo-dad on the front of the backbone do? Is it some type of sighting device?

It's the equivalent of a nib on a handsaw. You could use it for sighting, or for holding on a blade guard, or any of a dozen other things.

In truth, it is a purely decorative touch that arose from a fortunate mistake. When you mistakenly begin to cut the spine 1/4" too short, and are loathe to waste the time and money that went into the spine and saw, you need to find a creative way to salvage it. And when people like that detail, well, you just roll with it.

Thanks again, Aaron. Glad you are enjoying them.

Chris Griggs
04-05-2013, 2:31 PM
It's the equivalent of a nib on a handsaw. You could use it for sighting, or for holding on a blade guard, or any of a dozen other things.

In truth, it is a purely decorative touch that arose from a fortunate mistake. When you mistakenly begin to cut the spine 1/4" too short, and are loathe to waste the time and money that went into the spine and saw, you need to find a creative way to salvage it. And when people like that detail, well, you just roll with it.

And all this time I thought it was a cigarette holder... saw... puff... saw.... puff. Just make sure all your finishes and shavings are put away!

Seriously though, lovely lovely saws. Congrats! Isaac clearly does very very nice work. Great wood selection on the handles!

Greg Wease
04-05-2013, 2:33 PM

Lemonade from lemon--gotta love it!

george wilson
04-05-2013, 5:39 PM
Extremely accurate sculpting!!! The nib on a saw was for tying a slotted stick over the teeth of a saw. The string went behind the nib in front,and through the handle opening at the back.

Ron Bontz
04-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Extremely accurate sculpting!!! The nib on a saw was for tying a slotted stick over the teeth of a saw. The string went behind the nib in front,and through the handle opening at the back.

Hmm. I am going to have to try that.

george wilson
04-06-2013, 4:53 PM
Carpenters often carried tools loose in a basket,or banged them around in rough roads in a big tool cheats(Ever ridden in a wagon?) I've seen jointer planes with big rip saw teeth firmly printed into their sides. Slipping a protective stick over the length of the saw was good for the saws and the tools they would cut up.

Matthew N. Masail
04-07-2013, 6:52 AM

That mistake is one of my favorite parts! I say keep making it :)