PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane HTC125 4 Jaw 5

Jeff Walters
04-04-2013, 9:40 PM
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone is using this particular chuck. I have been seeing a lot of ad's on Ebay for it and the price is good. So I wanted to see if anyone is using it.

Jeff

charlie knighton
04-05-2013, 10:28 AM
must be a overseas knockoff, i have not used or handled one, pig in a poke

Roger Chandler
04-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Here is an earlier thread on this chuck, along with some answers from the man who owns the company.......read the entire thread and you will likely get the answers you are looking for...........

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?195043-New-Chuck

Jeff Walters
11-03-2013, 8:50 PM
I finally went out and bought one. I really like it. Getting ready to order some of the extra saws. The mass of this chuck makes it great for large bowls....Jeff

Michael Mills
11-04-2013, 8:48 AM
Just for info for other people, here is a comparison I did with the HTC100 and a SN2.
I assume the HTC125 would compare with the Titan chuck.

-----------------------
I have Nova’s (4-G3, 2-SN, 1-SN2)
After hearing some good report on the Hurricane I decided to give it a try for my daughters lathe (Nova Comet2).
I assumed the HTC100 would be about like the Nova G3. Ain’t so. Much larger than the G3.
Here is my comparison of the HTC100 and the SN2.
Dimensions:
Height by eye appears to be the same or within 1/32 for the chuck itself.
Diameter: SN2 3-7/8” HCT100 4”
Weight: As measured at local hardware store nail scales. The powergrip jaws may add up to 12 ounces more than the standard 50mm Nova jaws. If so, the HTC100 comes in about 1 pound heaver.
SN2 with powergrip jaws: 6lb 2oz
HTC with standard Jaws: 6lb 6oz
I would not use either with lathes under 1” spindle

Safety Stop and Range
SN2 Range about 3/4” Safety stop built into scroll mechanism.
HCT Range about 1 1/4” Safety stop under the #4 jaw and can be removed (screw).
I can see not reason to need to adjust outside of a 3/4” range. Any more and you need to swap jaws.

Insert
SN2 uses a threaded insert.
HCT uses a taper as the Talon does I believe. In The HTC has “holes” in the flange but they do not go through. I do not know if the tapping was not performed or if they are just for a spanner wrench.
I see no advantage to either insert but they should be able to lock to the spindle if turning in reverse for sanding. Insert is held with three screws into the base and two of these are used to back the insert out if you want to change it.

Backing:
Different method but I am not sure of any benefit. HCT does state they are completely sealed from dust and no maintenance is ever needed. I did open the back for a look-see but did not think of doing a comparison at the time. The scroll mechanism on the HCT is massive. The back of the SN2 is a hard plastic? material and the HCT is steel.
Both have indexing on the rear.

Scroll:
SN2 uses a hex drive.
HCT uses a square drive. Very large and stout square drive.
I like the square just a little more.

Standard Jaws:
SN2 51mm exterior Dovetailed 41mm straight interior with lip.
HTC 60mm exterior Dovetailed 45mm interior Dovetailed

I do not know if having an interior dovetail may help or not. I have not lost an item with the SN2 cutting a straight tenon and letting the lip bite in. Then again I mainly use a recess for the additional strength.
As you can tell the thickness of the jaws is greater with the HTC by 5mm.
Jaws screws for the SN2 are stamped 10.9; for the HTC they are 12.9 so a little better strength rating.

Fit and finish of the chucks looks to be equal but time will tell.

Jaws:
SN2 has a good assortment (16+) and fits all Nova chucks (as chuck strength permits)
HTC seems to be missing “spigot” jaws such as the SN2 35mm, 45mm, and 100mmPGs. They do have serrated jaws both interior and exterior, just not deep serrated jaws for hollow forms.
They have about nine different sets that cover most anything else that I can see. The jaws for the HTC100 do not fit the HTC125 and this could be drawback.
Both SN2 and HTC offers jaw sets that the other doesn’t.

Wormscrew:
Both come with a wormscrew. The end of the wormscrew is slightly tapered on the HTC compared to the SN2. It would not matter on a bowl where you go deep but on a platter where you only go 3/8” or so it may present a problem. I will probably grind off about 1/8” from the tip of the screw.

Runout:
SN2 Six of my seven Novas six range between .001 and .005 (One black sheep at .008)
HTC Runout of .003

As a note; I did later order the extended dovetail jaws (similar to O'Donnell jaws). I really like them and eight additional screws were also in the package. I do not know if all jaw sets come with additional screws.

David C. Roseman
11-04-2013, 9:07 AM
I finally went out and bought one. I really like it. Getting ready to order some of the extra saws. The mass of this chuck makes it great for large bowls....Jeff

Thanks for the follow-up, Jeff. I have the HTC125, and that's been my experience as well. That chuck has been mentioned in several threads here over the last few months, and I've yet to see anyone disappointed in it, or in the smaller HTC100. (Michael, thanks for the detailed review of the 100).

The absence of a pre-bored and tapped hole for a grub (set) screw in the various inserts (except for the 33mm x 3.5 insert to fit Oneway spindles) was a concern for some folks, including me initially. Now that I understand it to be intentional, it makes sense. A grub screw hole can be added later to be certain it's in the right place for the particular spindle. Here's another thread on SMC discussing that, among other things: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/index.php/t-201757.html

David

Roger Chandler
11-04-2013, 10:01 AM
I really like my HTC-125 chuck.......I plan to purchase a HTC-100 as well, even though I have 4 SN2's and one original supernova. Great quality and value in my opinion!

Mike Cruz
11-04-2013, 11:10 AM
As most of you know, I love mine...all of them. I have 7 now. Just got another 125 with the new Extra large jaws. These jaws are beyond beefy. Just used that setup to turn a 27 1/2" FBE bowl. It didn't even blink... I believe the jaws open to 6 3/4" (may be 6 7/8...not sure) for gripping.

I can't say enough about these chucks.

And NO, I AM NOT affiliated with the chucks or the company. I just really like them!