PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Router SMOKING !!

Matthew Curtis
04-04-2013, 5:41 PM
My Porter Cable router (model 8902) started smoking as I was running some moulding pieces through it. I do not think that I was overstressing it. It definatly got hot and had that wonderful electrical smell too it. Do you all think that this is fixable or shall I just go shopping for a new one? The Router is only about three years old.:mad:

Joe Bradshaw
04-04-2013, 5:48 PM
I think that you have let the magic smoke out and will have to find a router that still has the smoke inside.

David L Morse
04-04-2013, 6:03 PM
"The artifact shall maintain it's Magic Smoke safely within. If the Magic Smoke is allowed to escape the artifact will no longer perform it's appointed function."

Your router's toast.

Larry Browning
04-04-2013, 6:33 PM
I hear the nicotine gum works well, or maybe the patch. But to really get it to quit smoking, the counseling classes work best!:D

Sorry, couldn't resist.
You might try blowing it out with air. Or take it apart to clean. We have a porter-cable repair center in our small town, so I would imagine there would be one close to you. Take to them before you give up on it.

Matthew Curtis
04-04-2013, 6:36 PM
When I turn it on it hesitates to spin, then starts. It chaters when spinning, like maybe berings, and gets hot really quick. Not smoking hot.

Ron Kellison
04-04-2013, 6:46 PM
Sounds like bearings. If you're at all handy (and if you're not why are you here?) you should be able to swap out the bearings fairly easily. BTW, "Handy" is more a state of mind than a skill level. There's nothing quite like getting well into tearing down a piece of equipment and then hearing that little voice say "What'n'ell are you doing? You don't have a clue, do you?" I never let my little voice stop me unless the job at hand involves a spinning tool or a cutting edge that doesn't know the difference between wood and my hand. Oh, and I listen to the little voice when it involves electricity, things that burn quickly or go boom and anything that has a lawyer involved. Other than that, I recommend full speed ahead and voices be damned!

ken masoumi
04-04-2013, 7:04 PM
I would try to find the same model new and use the old one for parts.

Denny Rice
04-04-2013, 9:13 PM
You can still go to PC's website and purchase a handfull of parts for this router (not many though). After you disassemble the motor and find out what is bad you might be able to fix it you might not, depending on what went bad vs what PC still handles for the motor. I've noticed since PC has been knocked off it's thrown by DeWalt and been made more of a "consumer brand" more than it is a pro brand like it use to be parts are harder to come by these days for PC items. JMHO

Jim Neeley
04-04-2013, 9:51 PM
Check both the bearings and the brushes...

Curt Harms
04-05-2013, 8:24 AM
Parts should still be available for that router. You can still buy a new 89x router from Amazon so I'm pretty sure you can find parts. Some part #s show obsolete or something but that motor is common to several model #s. Looking at ereplacementparts site, the only things I see marked as obsolete are collets and a switch actuator. Porter Cable collets are common between 6xx, 7xxx and 8xxx so not an issue. The switch actuator is a metal strap that looks to link the upper and lower switches on those models and seems pretty unlikely to fail. Whether it's worth fixing is another question.

Erik Christensen
04-05-2013, 2:32 PM
3 years old is way too young to take up smoking

Denny Rice
04-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Parts should still be available for that router. You can still buy a new 89x router from Amazon so I'm pretty sure you can find parts. Some part #s show obsolete or something but that motor is common to several model #s. Looking at ereplacementparts site, the only things I see marked as obsolete are collets and a switch actuator. Porter Cable collets are common between 6xx, 7xxx and 8xxx so not an issue. The switch actuator is a metal strap that looks to link the upper and lower switches on those models and seems pretty unlikely to fail. Whether it's worth fixing is another question.

That is another very good place to purchase parts. I've had very good luck with them in the past and super fast shipping.....

Bill Wyko
04-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Check to see if the fan blades have broken off, I had the 3.5hp one loose all the blades & start smoking.

Joe Scharle
04-06-2013, 7:51 AM
+1 om the brushes...you should be able to feel if the bearings have gone.

Matthew Curtis
04-06-2013, 8:30 AM
it now spins for a splt second and trips the breaker when I try to turn it on.

John Coloccia
04-06-2013, 8:34 AM
Why do you keep running it?

Jamie Buxton
04-06-2013, 10:24 AM

That sounds like the windings have a short. If you can spin the rotor by hand, that suggests the bearings are okay, and also points to a winding short. Repairing a winding short would be far more expensive than buying a new router.

Myk Rian
04-06-2013, 11:18 AM
First thing to do is blow all the dust out of it.

Appears to me the bearings are bad.

John Piwaron
04-06-2013, 1:16 PM

My first suspicion is a broken winding in the armature.

David L Morse
04-06-2013, 1:25 PM
That sounds like the windings have a short. If you can spin the rotor by hand, that suggests the bearings are okay, and also points to a winding short. Repairing a winding short would be far more expensive than buying a new router.

+1 Likely a shorted winding.

Atlas Ramirez
06-09-2023, 8:27 AM
If your fan blades have broken off and the fan is smoking, prioritize your safety. Turn off the fan immediately and assess the damage. Contact the manufacturer or seek professional help for repair or replacement options.

andrew whicker
06-09-2023, 10:14 AM
They aren't hard to take apart. Go for it and see what is what.

Like many have said above... probably time for a new router or send the motor to a repair shop.

That magic smoke is powerful stuff.

Jim Becker
06-09-2023, 10:16 AM
Necro thread from 2013... ;)

andrew whicker
06-09-2023, 10:17 AM
I had a small 3 ph motor recently give me a scare... turned out the lead wires insulation burned off. I wrapped it up with electric tape and it worked fine afterward.

There is a chance it is simple. Don't give up all hope until you inspect it thoroughly.

andrew whicker
06-09-2023, 10:19 AM

Lol. Thanks.

Edward Weber
06-11-2023, 8:05 PM

Now all PC routers are dead, they just don't know it yet.
I try to keep my eye out for a decent replacement brand for when mine fail.
That said, I pretty much avoid anything Stanley/Black & Decker like the plague these days.
I have zero confidence that they'll keep a tool line, after what they did to the PC routers
https://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/brands
May they rest in prace

Jim Becker
06-12-2023, 9:09 AM
Edward, I believe there actually is a smaller battery powered one in the consumer tools that still carry the brand name...'thought I saw that at the local True Value recently. But yes, SB&D chose a brand strategy that deprecated PC in a major way.

George Yetka
06-12-2023, 9:52 AM
Well, what happened? you've had enough time for the repair.

Curt Harms
06-12-2023, 10:27 AM
Edward, I believe there actually is a smaller battery powered one in the consumer tools that still carry the brand name...'thought I saw that at the local True Value recently. But yes, SB&D chose a brand strategy that deprecated PC in a major way.

I just went to portercable.com and lo and behold. They list a single speed router model 9690LR. I thought Porter Cable was out of the router business.

Ron Selzer
06-12-2023, 10:50 AM
I just went to portercable.com and lo and behold. They list a single speed router model 9690LR. I thought Porter Cable was out of the router business.

Try to buy one.
Post back with where it is available.
They were cleared out over a year ago.
Ron

Edward Weber
06-12-2023, 11:57 AM
The geniuses thought they had better introduce another battery platform into the market, of which they already own 1 or 2.
To do that, it made perfect sense to discontinue one of the top router lines, arguably the industry standard (at least at one time)

When mine go, I'll see who's making quality routers at the time, it won't be a S/B&D tool.

Jim Becker
06-12-2023, 1:26 PM
The thing is, Edward, the DeWalt routers are kinda really good. The DW618 is a workhorse for a 12 amp router system and the DW625 remains one of the best dedicated mid-power plunge routers on the market...originally an Elu machine and still around with tweaks over time. My DW618 is the only non-Festool router I own (other than the big, old PC7518 from the early 2000s in my router table) and I use it more than I expected I would. That said, there are similar options from other names like Makita, Bosch, Triton, etc. It's good to have choices.

Curt Harms
06-13-2023, 9:33 AM
Try to buy one.
Post back with where it is available.
They were cleared out over a year ago.
Ron

Hmmm, I wonder why the 690s are still listed if there's no intention of bringing them back?

Jim Becker
06-13-2023, 9:42 AM
Hmmm, I wonder why the 690s are still listed if there's no intention of bringing them back?
I'd guess it's a clerical error. SB&D said long ago that all that stuff was discontinued. They still have the PC name in the marketplace, but it's consumer-focused battery "kits" of tools. You can see some of that stuff at the True Value next to the new Giant in D'town.

Dave Sabo
06-13-2023, 10:20 AM
I'd guess it's a clerical error. SB&D said long ago that all that stuff was discontinued. They still have the PC name in the marketplace, but it's consumer-focused battery "kits" of tools. You can see some of that stuff at the True Value next to the new Giant in D'town.

For the record , PC still has a router for sale, though it's kinda anemic:

https://www.rockler.com/porter-cable-45-amp-1-4-in-palm-router-bdl?country=US&sid=V91107&promo=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&gclid=CjwKCAjwp6CkBhB_EiwAlQVyxVjmmHA8MwcnaVIGK-NLC2fEhq1OZsxMs-I2EYqVgMbJ3IPRPA__iBoCHggQAvD_BwE

Edward Weber
06-13-2023, 10:38 AM
The thing is, Edward, the DeWalt routers are kinda really good. The DW618 is a workhorse for a 12 amp router system and the DW625 remains one of the best dedicated mid-power plunge routers on the market...originally an Elu machine and still around with tweaks over time. My DW618 is the only non-Festool router I own (other than the big, old PC7518 from the early 2000s in my router table) and I use it more than I expected I would. That said, there are similar options from other names like Makita, Bosch, Triton, etc. It's good to have choices.

Good to have choices, yes.
Eliminating one of the top router lines to launch another battery platform line is not wise IMO.
Personally I'm sick and tired of having too many platforms, who needs another. It's not like the made the new PC batteries the same as Dewalt or B&D or Craftsman. They own them all.
I really wish they would decide on an industry standard battery connection, them the various companies could devote more resources to the actual tool.
At last count, I already have 6 different battery platforms, out of necessity. And now, no way to repair a broken PC router.
Stanley/Black&Decker has lost my business. I do my best to NOT purchase anything from them if I can help it.

Jim Becker
06-13-2023, 3:41 PM
There actually is a "standard" battery platform out there that some less known brands use, AFAIK. I forget the name of it, of course. I don't think you'll see any of the major brands trending in that direction, however, as their battery prowess, "live or Memorex" is part of the marketing and they want you using just their tools as much as possible. Milwaukee has made an art of this and with such a wide breadth of tools in both 12v and 18v, they have garnered an impressive market share, especially in the commercial space. DeWalt is working hard in a similar way, but don't have as many "toys" as the red brand does.

That said, relative to routers, batteries are not really all that material to this thread and few of us use battery operated routers. Although I'd like to get a battery operated trim router for convenience at some point.

Dave Sabo
06-14-2023, 11:35 AM
While we're discussing porter cable and batteries........................anyone remember this gem:

first battery powered router ? ahead of its time ?

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2005/10/25/cordless-router-9290-review

Edward Weber
06-14-2023, 12:20 PM
That said, relative to routers, batteries are not really all that material to this thread and few of us use battery operated routers. Although I'd like to get a battery operated trim router for convenience at some point.
I have to disagree a bit,
S/B&D cut the router line of PC to launch a battery platform for PC.
They already own three battery platforms, was there really a need for a fourth, especially at the expense of the routers?
I'll also add that I think PC routers didn't have anything too impressive after the 890 line of tools. Their trim router was also pretty sad, maybe it was time. Maybe the designer moved on to another company.

Jim Becker
06-14-2023, 4:21 PM
I'll have to disagree back...SB&D deprecated the PC brand nearly totally in favor of DeWalt and Craftsman, but kept the brand alive for "something below Craftsman" as it was a recognizable brand. While batteries came into play for sure for product released-- because that's where the market has gone and that's what mass market customers expect--batteries were not the reason that the broad PC router range was discontinued. They made the active decision to not have two essentially closely competing brands in their portfolio, so it was either smack down PC or smack down DeWalt. Yellow got the nod to be the top of the line as a result. I do agree that things were already going "downhill" by the time the PC890 variant came into being, however.

Darrell Bade
06-14-2023, 4:56 PM
I remember when they first rebadge what was the firstorm line of B&D to Porter Cable and I heard somebody in Lowes say "I can't believe I bought a Porter Cable Drill for only 60 bucks". What a sham it was.

Edward Weber
06-14-2023, 5:36 PM
I'll have to disagree back...SB&D deprecated the PC brand nearly totally in favor of DeWalt and Craftsman, but kept the brand alive for "something below Craftsman" as it was a recognizable brand. While batteries came into play for sure for product released-- because that's where the market has gone and that's what mass market customers expect--batteries were not the reason that the broad PC router range was discontinued. They made the active decision to not have two essentially closely competing brands in their portfolio, so it was either smack down PC or smack down DeWalt. Yellow got the nod to be the top of the line as a result. I do agree that things were already going "downhill" by the time the PC890 variant came into being, however.

I do agree, while I certainly don't know the internal decisions, I can say it didn't help the consumer at all IMO.
I can remember when;
B&D used to be a good tool brand, they neutered them years ago, now they make small appliances.
Craftsman used to be a highly regarded brand, now it's all but a joke.
PC used to have a nice line of power tools with their routers being an industry standard, the discontinued them.
I guess it's all up the Dewalt now.
How long before a hedge fund manager spins them off and dissolves the brand?

This is why I won't buy their products if I can help it. There is little guarantee (even less than most manufacturers) that they'll be around in a couple of years.

Dave Sabo
06-15-2023, 12:00 PM
I do agree, while I certainly don't know the internal decisions, I can say it didn't help the consumer at all IMO.
I can remember when;
B&D used to be a good tool brand, they neutered them years ago, now they make small appliances.
Craftsman used to be a highly regarded brand, now it's all but a joke.
PC used to have a nice line of power tools with their routers being an industry standard, the discontinued them.
I guess it's all up the Dewalt now.
How long before a hedge fund manager spins them off and dissolves the brand?

This is why I won't buy their products if I can help it. There is little guarantee (even less than most manufacturers) that they'll be around in a couple of years.

This is such a quaint trip down memory lane. I remember when a gallon of gas cost less than 70cents and a phone call was a dime at a public phone booth.

I also remember when PanAm was the global airline, Blockbuster ruled the home entertainment world, and there was a Fotomat on just about every corner around. Businesses aren't around to "help" the consumer. They exist to make a buck for their shareholders by providing a good or service. Consumers' needs, wants, means, and social agendas are always in flux. Which means companies and products are too - especially when they become "public" companies. When that happens, there are just too many interests vying to change the ship's speed and direction.

The constant is that everything is always in flux. Today's darlings will almost certainly be replaced in the future - just like Sears, GM, and Porter Cable. I have a lot of respect for the fellas over at B&D simply because they're still here and aren't on life support or the government doll. You and I might not agree on their strategy of flogging old dying horses , but they are still making a go of it unlike the turkeys they've gobbled up.

The other nice thing about it is that you/we have a lot more choices of what brand of tool to buy and where we can purchase them today they we did back in the golden era of the legacy brands you remember.