PDA

View Full Version : Jim Becker- Compressor auto drain?

Alan Schaffter
05-11-2005, 11:45 AM
Jim- I'm looking at two compressor auto drain devices, both look similar to yours- solenoid operated, can be set to open 1-15 secs. on a 1-45 min. cycle. My question- what setting do you use? Seems like once every 45 min. is too often if I'm not using the compressor. Wouldn't once every time the compressor kicks on be better if you can set it up this way?

sascha gast
05-11-2005, 12:21 PM
i wanna know , too. and where can i get such a thing. i hate draining my compressor

sascha

Michael Perata
05-11-2005, 1:13 PM
Alan

I use a compressor drain my 60 gal PC unit. It is set for 5 sec every 30 minutes.

The one thing I do is turn the unit off when I am not using it. I have the compressor in a closet outside my shop and have a 220v DP switch running off my sub-panel that I use to turn on/off the compressor. I ran the drain off one of the 220v legs so it only has power when the compressor is on.

The drain opens immediately when I turn the compressor on the first time during a session so there is no moisture in the tank when I am using it.

These units are a very worthwhile investment (<$100) Try http://ecompressedair.com/

Phil Ordway
05-11-2005, 1:16 PM
Drain it at the end of the day or set the drain so that it barely trickles out. It is not necessary to drain it every 45 minutes.

Bruce Page
05-11-2005, 2:55 PM
Alan, I agree, the cycling times seem excessive. I wired an on/off switch into my ADV and flip it on about once a week. If I’m using a lot of air I’ll leave it on to cycle 10sec every 45min. I have the IR unit as does Jim.

Here's a link to some pic's
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17659

John Bush
05-11-2005, 3:33 PM
Hi Alan,
My compressor is on 15-20 hr/day and the auto drain is set for 5 sec every 12 hrs. It's been flawless for over 10 yrs and with additional in-line filters and a condensation drier the dry and oil free. The compressor is in a store remote from my office and it seem the only time the auto-drain lets loose is when I'm down there standing on a wobbly box getting something of the top shelf. Scares the Yahoo out of you.
! Good luck, John.

Jim Becker
05-11-2005, 4:31 PM
Mine is set to .5 sec every 45 minutes...and I will likely increase that interval since the compressor rarely runs in my shop. 'Keeps the air clear of moisture, however. I bought an older version of the IR auto-drain off "the auction site" after a tip from Bruce Page a few months ago. I only got it setup recently, but it's definitely keeping the puddle out of the bottom of the tank.,

Alan Schaffter
05-11-2005, 5:24 PM
Seller has 16 new Flair/Deltech ADV1811 on "Buy it Now" for $24.99 plus actual shipping (no padding)

Sounds like a deal to me.

CompressedAir wants $108 for same item:

http://store.ecompressedair.com/detail.aspx?id=289

I still need to think about the timing issue. It will be nice to have an auto drain since my 80 gal 175 psi PC compressor is in a room off the garage and my shop is above the garage.

Steve Jenkins
05-11-2005, 5:34 PM
I have an Ingersol rand and had them put an automatic drain on it that opens evertime the compressor shuts off. It works off the unloader pressure. I don't know if you can buy them seperately but might be worth checking into.

JayStPeter
05-11-2005, 5:37 PM
Seller has 16 new Flair/Deltech ADV1811 on "Buy it Now" for $24.99 plus actual shipping (no padding)

Sounds like a deal to me.

CompressedAir wants $108 for same item:

http://store.ecompressedair.com/detail.aspx?id=289

I still need to think about the timing issue. It will be nice to have an auto drain since my 80 gal 175 psi PC compressor is in a room off the garage and my shop is above the garage.

That seems like a good deal. Just bought one, down to 13.

I use a switched 110V to trigger a 220 relay and turn on my compressor. Should I use that, or plug into constant power. I only turn my compressor on every couple weeks. But, it holds pressure constantly. It doesn't even run if I just use it to fill a tire or shoot some brads.

Jay

David Figueroa
05-13-2005, 2:57 AM
I installed an automatic drain on my compressor from harbor freight; it is $17. When I bought it, the price was $10. It drains the tank every time the compressor reaches max pressure, i.e. when the tank is full.

here is the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46960

here is an article on how to install it:
http://www.paragoncode.com/shop/compressor/

Matt Meiser
05-13-2005, 7:34 AM
I installed an automatic drain on my compressor from harbor freight; it is $17. When I bought it, the price was $10. It drains the tank every time the compressor reaches max pressure, i.e. when the tank is full.

I put the same unit on my compressor and it is working very well. I replaced the fittings and nylon hose that came with it with copper tubing and compression fittings from the hardware store.

Chris Padilla
05-13-2005, 5:52 PM
Well, I'll come back here and post a pic but I have a rather unusual set-up for my compressor--it is 10 feet off the ground!

I added a pipe to the drain (1/4") but expanded it out to 3/4" pipe. I Added two ball valves: the one closes to the drain is always open and the one at the end of the drain is always shut. Now the water collects in the 6" 3/4" brass nipple separating the two ball valves.

To empty, I close the top ball valve and open the botton one. However, I have to add a small piece of hose to mine and either direct it to a bucket or the sink.

George Summers
05-13-2005, 7:12 PM
Maybe I'm lost but; why auto-drain? I installed a right angle nipple with a ball valve on mine. It sticks out from underneath the tank enough so that all I have to do is bend over and turn the ball valve. I leave my compressor charged full time and every time I go into the shop (hobbiest not pro) I turn the valve till the air comes out dry (usually about 3 seconds or less). I think I spent $5-$6 and spend 3-5 seconds to drain it. Again, I ask, what am I missing, why auto-drain?

George

Byron Trantham
05-13-2005, 7:19 PM
Mine cycles the same as most already posted. I did NOT appreciate the darned thing cycling while I was concentrating on something, like putting my fingers close to the TS blade! :eek: I had one of those mechanical timers that you plug into the wall and then plug in the appliance. I set the thing to start at 2 AM and run for till about 3:30 AM That's about two cycles of cleaning every night. I checked it manually evey morning for about two weeks and NO water! :D

David Figueroa
05-15-2005, 12:21 AM
I put the same unit on my compressor and it is working very well. I replaced the fittings and nylon hose that came with it with copper tubing and compression fittings from the hardware store.
That is a great idea. I should have thought of that. I used a thicker plastic hose, and had to search all over the place for a compression T that woud fit.

Ole Anderson
05-15-2005, 9:00 AM
I'm with George. I think a 100 psi blow off an an unexpected time is unsafe. I have a smaller compressor mounted on the wall with a galvanized 6" long 1/4" vertical nipple coming out of the tank drain with a lever handle ball valve at the bottom. Opening it once a week is plenty unless you have some major use and a lot of humidity. The 6" nipple will store a fair amount of water before it needs emptying. You could achieve the same with a street ell and a horizontal 6" nipple if you leave the compressor on the floor.

Jim Becker
05-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Maybe I'm lost but; why auto-drain?

Purely convenience for me...my system stays charged 100% of the time and I travel a lot on business. This keeps any moisture out of my tank and consequently out of my lines. Since my system is in the cyclone closet, I don't even hear it fire off. There is so little condensate in the system now, that I don't even need to bother with a bucket...

Why is this important to me? Because I've already ruined two finishes due to moisture, causing me much extra work and grief. If I just shot nail guns I almost wouldn't care. But the water bourne finishes I spray don't like even the smallest trace of water in the lines. The auto-drain combined with about four separate (and different) types of filters are worth it to me. The auto drain, however, as you point out quite well, is not required...there are less expensive ways.

BTW, the unit I'm using is an electically controled valve and is independent of the compressor, unlike the HFT unit. I scored it for $62.50 including shipping of "that auction site".