PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Charlie Jones
05-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Hello fellow woodworkers

I have been reading the forum for a while and decided to introduce myself.
I have been doing woodworking since 1990 including 3 years professionally. At present its a hobby. I enjoy reading your posts. I just finished a cyclone installation and the information from SC was valuable.

This is the best forum on the net!:)

Charlie Jones
05-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Sorry about the huge picture.

Steve Aiken
05-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Welcome aboard, Charlie. Nice installation. Guess you don't need to worry about a filter, eh!

Steve

Charlie Jones
05-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks Steve,

Yes there is a filter and a air return to the shop. The picture was taken before the stack was installed. i'll post some pictures of the completed unit soon

Ken Fitzgerald
05-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek Charlie! Neat place to trade info!

Jeff Sudmeier
05-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Charlie, Welcome to the Creek! Thank you for joining!

Be sure to post pictures of some projects when you have time ;)

Bill Lewis
05-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Welcome Charlie,

Don't worry, if your posted picture were too huge, "it" would't let you post it.

I see you're from Cashiers, NC. That's awsome. My father grew up there, my grandfather was a manager at High Hampton Inn a very long time ago. Both grandparents are buried in Cashiers.
Say hello to Chimney Top and Whiteside for me.

Charlie Jones
05-11-2005, 1:06 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes. i'll be posting some pictures of my shop and projects.

Bill- I drive by Whiteside on the way to work. Its good to hear from someone familier with the area. I don't know how long sinse you were here but Cashiers is growing fast. The mountains are quickly being covered by McManisions. On the other hanbd it's still a good place to live.

Bill Lewis
05-11-2005, 1:27 PM
Charlie, I forgot to mention that my Grandfather also used to run the concession to Whiteside, back when it was open to tourism. Has it ever been opened up again?

It's been a long time since I have been back to Cashiers, 30 years or more maybe. I keep threatening my wife that were going to go there one of these days. Sounds just like every place else, it's growing. I suppose it's inevitable in a beautiful area like that. What can you do.

Cashiers is so much a part of my growing up, and our family. My parents were married in a little white church there (1954), the same one I attended my grandfathers funeral (think '64-'65). There is a house at HHI that should still be named the "Lewis Cottege" Unless over time the sign has been removed. It's where my father grew up. My sister has the fire bell that rang when the Inn burned down (since rebuilt). After retiring, my grandparents built this really neat 50's ranch style house that had alot of F.L.Wright influence (1952-3). It had a great view out the back of Chimney top.

I don't think I'd be too disappointed returning to the area. The things I remember most, and best, can't change. I'll get there some day.

Charlie Jones
05-11-2005, 1:50 PM
Bill,

Whiteside is USFS land and has a hiking trail to the top but no concessions.
I'll remember to look for the Lewis cottage next time I visit HHI. I am sure the area would look somewhat like you remember. We still have 2 lane roads and just one stop light. There a shopping center on 64E and a bunch of golf courses have been built since 1980. I hope you can come by when you visit.

lou sansone
05-11-2005, 1:56 PM
welcome aboard and glad to have you with us. We like tools and photos here as well as good questions

lou

Bill Lewis
05-11-2005, 2:06 PM
Whiteside is USFS land and has a hiking trail to the top but no concessions.
Well I don't know if you know this, but you used to be able to drive to the top of Whiteside. My GF ran the concession to charge you that priveldge. I don't know what deal he had the USFS back then. It's been closed since at least the middle 60's, due to a road washout, or some other reason. We used to have a bunch of leftover bumper stickers that proclaimed "We Drove to the Top of Whiteside Mt."

I'll remember to look for the Lewis cottage next time I visit HHI. I am sure the area would look somewhat like you remember. We still have 2 lane roads and just one stop light. There a shopping center on 64E and a bunch of golf courses have been built since 1980. I hope you can come by when you visit.
The cottage is near the lake, not too far from main part of the Inn. If you think of it, send me some pictures if you can. I just did a web search, The cottage is listed on their "property map page" (http://www.highhamptoninn.com/welcome-propertymap.aspx). Just to the left of the boathouse. When and if I make it down there I will certainly let you know, and stop by. Thanks for the invite.

Ok, I know this has gotten waaay off topic, but I'm including a picture of WSM. To show people what I am talking about, 1500' quartz cliffs.

Charlie Jones
05-11-2005, 2:29 PM
Yeah I guess we did get off topic. That's an awesome picture. The mountain still looks like that but the old road to the top has been changed to a trail. No vehicles and its grown over where you couldn't drive it anyway. I remember seeing some old photos of cars parked on top. I have been here since 1980 and it's been that way since.

Bill Lewis
05-11-2005, 2:57 PM
Ok Charlie, enough of me waxing nostalgic, let's see if I can get this back on track.

I just took another good look at your cyclone picture. It appears to be one of those see-thru cyclones. I'm surprised no-one noticed. ;)

When are we going to see the rest of the DC setup and shop space, and maybe some pictures with chips swirling around inside.:)

Charlie Jones
05-11-2005, 4:32 PM
Its a Clear Vue that I bought from Ed Margano. I am running a 2HP delta motor and 14" Fan. I 'll try and get one of it sucking dust soon. I ran 6" S&D pipe. This system is amazing.

Charlie Jones
05-11-2005, 4:35 PM
Another. I made the PVC fittings pictured here

Charlie Jones
05-11-2005, 4:39 PM
Here is one of my TS and RT hookup. I didn't realize my shop was this cluttered when I took these. It better now...

Charlie Jones
05-11-2005, 4:42 PM
Here is my RT I built over the winter. I have 4" DC to the bottom and 2.5 to the fence. i think I need to take some new pic's. I was building the system when these were taken.

Charlie Jones
05-11-2005, 4:44 PM
My homebuilt drum sander.

Charlie Jones
05-11-2005, 4:47 PM
Bandsaw. I added a wood top for more table area. I can lift it off when needed.
The 6" hood collects almost all of the dust.

Charlie Jones
05-11-2005, 4:51 PM
Planer. I ran a 4" from the blast gate.

Frank Pellow
05-11-2005, 6:07 PM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Charlie!

Yes you and Bill might have gotten a little off topic, but having a place to brag about that is as beatiful as the picture posted by Bill, I certainly can't blame you both for doing so.

Jim Dannels
05-11-2005, 6:23 PM
But that is some awesome scenery!! Breathtaking in fact.
Maybe one day I`ll post a picture of a table flat Iowa Cornfield to give you a comparison:D .
Charlie that is a nice shop! I can hardly wait to see a picture of that Cyclone with dust running through it.

Corey Hallagan
05-11-2005, 6:24 PM
Welcome to SMC, it is a great place to hang out! Good job on the DC installation, I need to invest in one myself!

Corey

Jerry Olexa
05-11-2005, 11:07 PM
BEAUTIFUL country and a great picture!! Thanks !!

Ok, I know this has gotten waaay off topic, but I'm including a picture of WSM. To show people what I am talking about, 1500' quartz cliffs.[/QUOTE]

Charlie Jones
05-12-2005, 7:29 AM
Thanks for all the comments. Here is another picture of the piping. This is the most complicated peice of pipe in the system. 6" to Lathe, 4" to Jointer and 6' split into 2, 4"s for the sander and a cleanup hose. I used a combination of heat, cutting and expoxy w/ fiberglass cloth. Then taped the joints.

Bill Lewis
05-12-2005, 7:44 AM
Charlie,

That's some octopus you have there. Heckuva nice setup!

Can I press you to do a separate write up about your home built drum sander? I doubt I'm the only one that would like to see more deatils, pictures, parts lists and whatever else went in to it.

Jason Tuinstra
05-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Charlie, welcome aboard! Good to have you hear.

Edit: Ah... sorry about my spelling there... I'm assuming you "hear" and I'm glad for that. But I meant "here" as in not "there." :o Time for another cup of coffee :p

Charlie Jones
05-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks Jason.

Bill I'll get some pic's of the sander and post them. I built it about 4 years ago so I don't know how many details on materials I can get. I got a plan somewhere on the net then changed it to suit myself. It works great for short panels etc. Because there is no power feed you have to push boards thu on a sled or for longer stuff have a helper.