PDA

View Full Version : parts help for rehab.delta rockwell 46-460

Adam Lewis
04-03-2013, 10:58 AM
just got an old lathe on monday. it is is decent shape, nothing that cannot be fixed with a little elbow grease. but i need some help locating parts (other than ebay).
the lathe is basically a delta 1460, with a newer tail stock. the tail stock clamp handle is missingand it appears as though the old pinch bolt broke off that held it on. i think i can clear the old bolt out with some work, but i need a new handle. also the head stock bearings have a ratchet to them. anyone know a good source for them as well.
thank you
adam
this is my first lathe and the price was right. i just have to get it all fixed up and running.

Harry Robinette
04-03-2013, 1:16 PM
Pull the bearings and get the number from the side.Go to a bearing supply or call and order the number from the bearing. The bearings will need to be pressed off and on to the shaft most Auto parts places will do that for a little charge. If not go to a small machine shop they can normally do it but they will charge you more. Usually the shaft will come out from the hand wheel side there should be retainer plates on each end held by 3 or 4 screws remove them first then there should be a set screw or maybe 2 in the pulley holding it on the shaft remove these screws then push the shaft (out and through the pulley so don't drop it) toward the hand wheel. Sometimes you need to give it a couple LIGHT taps with a WOODEN block to get the shaft to start sliding out. Thats how I've taken the shaft from my General and I believe yours is made just like it. Hope this helps.

Adam Lewis
04-04-2013, 8:52 AM
i now have the part number for the bearings....that was easy. they came right out no problems. i understand your description on how to take it apart, which i tried to follow, but the pulley does not want to let go from the shaft. there was only one set screw out of the two. the other is missing. i pulled it out, but i am not sure what is holding it up. tonight i will try another method to remove it.

Bob Bergstrom
04-04-2013, 9:57 AM
I believe there is a key way on the shaft and that key gets stuck. Do not hit the pulley with a mallet. They break easily and are near impossible to replace. A heat gun might expand it enough. A blow touch may be too hot. You could slip two boards behind the large end of the pulley and the tape the shaft end to drive the pulley off. Clamp the boards together and drill a hole at the seam big enough to encircle the shaft. Separate the boards and reclamp them behind the pulley. That should supply enough support for the pulley. Then drive the shaft out of the pulley.

Adam Lewis
04-04-2013, 11:24 AM
bob, that was my plan exactly for tonights try. thanks for the vote of confidence.
i did not know about the key way. i was thinking that perhaps because there was only one set screw, that maybe the lathe was run improperly (came from a school 1st, then from the person i bought it from) my thinking is that the set screw was not tightened all the way and perhaps is has caused some grooves to develop on the shaft, and that is what is being caught on.