PDA

View Full Version : acme saw filer

stephen overhoff
04-03-2013, 10:56 AM
I need some help finding the value of my Acme saw filer. this is a complete machine with the floor stand. I will post it for sale soon but right now because they are very few of them out there I am having difficulty finding sales to compare. If anyone knows of a sale recently or eve the sale of just the vice without the machine I would appreciate hearing the details.

Jim Koepke
04-03-2013, 4:48 PM
Stephen,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't include your location. If you are near me, I would be interested in at least seeing this device.

You might find more help in the Classifieds here on SMC, though you do have to be a contributor. That cost all of $6 a year.

This unit looks a little big and heavy to ship so your sale may end up being to your locality. Not sure if there are any saw shops that may be of help to you with this.

jtk

Chris Vandiver
04-03-2013, 5:02 PM
Due to the quality of your photos, it's hard to tell what you actually have there. An Acme saw vise in good condition will go for several hundred dollars, if not more. I'm not sure about the machine though, probably very limited demand for one. The vise is another matter.

Jim Matthews
04-03-2013, 6:18 PM
The vise is integrated into the mechanism.

I dunno, a thousand dollars if it's fully functional?
Does it advance the blade, like a Foley?

I'm guessing you would get more action on OWMM - this is a tasty morsel.

Like Jim said - where are you and the gizmo?

Ron Bontz
04-04-2013, 1:46 AM
The last one I saw sold for about $500.00 on ebay. So how do I know that? I was watching it. :) With the exception of setting a consistent fleam angle, hand filing does a better job. The filer does not advance the saw plate. You have to manually turn a wheel to advance the plate. So you have to be careful to place it correctly with the right amount of downward pressure as well as side to side. It has a spring loaded handle so that you can lower the filer down onto the saw teeth. If I did not live so far away, I would be knocking on your door. I would be thrilled to have that vise. I have been looking for one for a while. Always far far away. :( The machine itself would make a great restore project.

Erik Manchester
04-04-2013, 6:19 AM
Stephen,

That is quite an interesting machine that you have, but much the pity that the vise is integrated into the power filing mechanism. It would certainly be a prime candidate for a restoration project, but then what?? As Ron pointed out, skilful hand filing will do a better job than the machine. Certainly a rare machine as I have not seen one like it before. Thanks for posting the pics, perhaps you can take a more extensive set and post them to OWWM as a previous poster suggested.

Ron Bontz
04-04-2013, 8:05 AM
I can help you with your dilemma. Just put it on a small pallet and ship it to the St. Louis area. My little shop. Problem solved.;);)

stephen overhoff
04-05-2013, 1:10 AM
thanks for all the input. For the benifit of those following; five total difinitive replys on value that I have recieved from this and one other forum garnered the value of the vice alone at $300-$500. To date only one "opinion" of value for the entire machine at $1,000. I am going to try owm and see if anyone there can add to the data base.

brian noel
04-26-2018, 9:59 AM
I have been trying to locate an ACmE vise with filer and possibly the base as well. If anyone knows of one in good working order for sale please let me know. Thanks. Contact email is bearkat_wood@yahoo.com

Pete Taran
04-26-2018, 10:42 AM
Guys,

Acme made stand alone vises and they also made the filer which contained a version of their vise. The vise is part of the machine. I know that the owner of Bad Axe really likes this machine and is what he learned on. Clearly the owner can do what he wants, but even if it were possible, it would be a shame to cannibalize that filer just to get the vise. Where is the OP located btw?

Brandon Speaks
04-26-2018, 10:46 AM
Unfortunately its a 5 year old post. If local I would be interested.

Pete Taran
04-26-2018, 12:03 PM
I missed that! They don't turn up very often...

Ron Bontz
04-26-2018, 5:32 PM
acme saw filer
(https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?201553-acme-saw-filer)Sold my bench top model just a couple months ago or less, for $1,000.00. He picked it up. The vise was as pristine as it gets. Reportedly owned by an Amish family previously. Who knows. Had it not been for the lack of space, I would have kept it. The gentleman that bought it, ironically, makes handles for Bad Axe saws and drove from north of Chicago to get it.

Rob Paul
04-26-2018, 9:02 PM
I have one just like that. I don't use it much, so I should sell it, but I'm not really interested in the hassle of crating it and shipping it. If you want to come to pick it up, you could see me in Peterborough Ontario