PDA

View Full Version : Router Bit/Shaper cutter: Half Radius Bullnose

alex grams
04-03-2013, 10:29 AM
I am trying to find a shaper cutter or router bit to make a soft roundover on a table leg, similar to:

http://www.cmtutensili.com/media/files/474_1056_fz_690.556.jpg

However, it is going to be on a profiled leg, and I can't hand feed that cutter.

Ideally I want something where the roundover cut is at least 1.5" high, but closer to 2" would be ideal. A router bit with half of the radius and a guide bearing at the end would be ideal, that way I could cut from both sides of the wood and make the completed profile, but I can't seem to find anything close to what I am looking for.

Anyone know where I can find these?

Thanks in advance.

Mark Bolton
04-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Depends on the shaper but, assuming you dont have a corrugated head and have some knives ground? Likely the simplest (cheapest) solution for custom profiles but of course you have to have or buy the head.

If your shaper will handle it and you're looking at new shaper tooling for something like this it will never be as inexpensive as buying an off the shelf cutter but if you were going to spend a few bucks on tooling it may be worth looking into an import head and having a set of knives ground. It would hurt this time but any custom profile after this would cost 120 bucks or so for knives.

Oella Saw and Tool has decent import heads pretty cheap. We have one of their 100mm dual hook heads and its always served me well.

Jeff Duncan
04-03-2013, 10:55 AM
The knife shown is for a Euro block cutter head, do you have one already? If so I'd just get the correct knife and feed using a custom sled and bearing. That's going to give you the best quality of cut and also the best radius as you won't have to try to blend 2 different passes. And using a sled there's no reason why you couldn't hand feed, I had feed small parts with a euro head all the time using push blocks. Feeding with a sled keeping your hands well away from the cutters is plenty safe.

good luck,
JeffD

alex grams
04-03-2013, 11:10 AM
I have the insert head, but would need about a 4" to 4 1/2" rub collar then.

david brum
04-03-2013, 11:45 AM
There are interchangeable diameter rub collars made for Euro blocks. I haven't used one, but the idea seems reasonable and a bunch cheaper if you need different sizes. Amana (http://routerbitworld.com/Amana-61618-ALUMINUM-RUB-COLLAR-120MM-DIA-p/amana%2061618.htm)makes them.

Charles Brown
04-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Alex, you can get those rub collars from CGG Schmidt, Amana, or even Grizzly, I believe. I have a 4" rub collar I use for my 30* bevel cutter that has a 4" OD.

Peter Quinn
04-03-2013, 12:13 PM
I have the amana profile pro head and the bearing set up with the aluminum sleeves, it works well, it could easily be adopted to that setup. You might also be able to find a 1/4 round cutter for that head with a more gentle angle to do it in two passes on the shaper, or look at the CMT knives on Cheyenne sales, they have 50mm knives for that head which puts you closer to your 2" target.

make sure your sled has the appropriate lead ins and exit path, you want the pattern to make full contact with the bearing before you are close to cutting, and same on exit, you want the cutters out of the wood before departing the bearing. Handles help too, for grip and to remind your hands where to be for safety.

sorry , just realized that is a 50mm knife in your pic.