PDA

View Full Version : Mass wood purchasing question

michael skehan
04-03-2013, 10:09 AM
I will be building a shed this spring and I am curious where people from the Boston, MA area purchase their project 2"x4"? I'm assuming that there has to be better places then Home Depot and Lowe's to buy bulk amounts from? Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt Day
04-03-2013, 10:43 AM
That title is misleading - I thought you had a question about buying a large quantity of hardwood!

Sorry, can't help you with buying dimensional lumber in your area, I'd just suggest you do a Google Maps search for "lumber yard".

Brian Libby
04-03-2013, 10:47 AM
There appear to be several including New England Building Supply

Jeff Duncan
04-03-2013, 10:58 AM
I recommend going to a lumber yard vs the box stores. The prices will be roughly the same, or maybe just a bit higher, but the quality will be much, much better than anything at the box stores. I use Barker Lumber in Woburn as it's close to me, but there's plenty of others around as well.

FWIW most people would not consider the amount needed for a shed as "bulk", so if your thinking your buying enough for a quantity discount....nope:(

good luck,
JeffD

Mark Bolton
04-03-2013, 12:13 PM
+1 on the "bulk" I think a rail car may be considered bulk but an decent size home may have a tractor trailer load of lumber in it and thats not considered bulk.

michael skehan
04-03-2013, 1:25 PM
Thanks, that was my plan but I was curious if there was anyone locally that had a recommendation.