PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection - Where do I start ?

Fred Stellabotte
04-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Hi Folks,I have all the materials to get started on building a real dust collection system based on Phil Thein’s design and HF 2hp Dust Collector.
I purchased a HF 2HP DC about 2 weeks ago. I am very pleased with it. I connected one port to the Table Saw (now Ridgid will be happy that it will not blow up) the other port to handheld floor vac attachment. I have blast gates on each hose. Using the floor vac is amazing, the suction is close to that of a shop vac, it will suck in a rag or screw from 5 inches away, as you might expect the input vent gets clogged a lot, and the screws make a lot of noise.

I need to start the permanent setup. I would like to take baby steps if possible. So I am thinking that the first step would be to put a simple separator on to the base system, possibility with the Thein “under the lid” cyclone.

My question is concerning the multiple dust suction lines. I would like to keep the 2 connections I have, and in the future go to 3 connections. Would it be better to have a 3-Way Dust Collection Junction connected to open opening in the trash separator lid , or open 3 input connections in the lid ?

-- Fred Stellabotte (kamado@comcast.net)

Michael Dunn
04-03-2013, 9:26 PM
In short, it's best to have a main duct and then have 'drops' to each tool from that main duct.

Greg Peterson
04-07-2013, 9:21 PM
I am running the HF DC unit with a Thein baffle and a Wynn Environmental cartridge filter. I am running a 7' x 5" hose to each tool, where it gets reduced down to 4". This configuration produces acceptable results for me.

As for powering a DC network, I remain skeptical that the HF unit has enough power to provide adequate performance.

I realize this is likely not a welcomed opinion. Most of us are like you, trying to find the best performance for the lowest cost. DC is no different.

Horsepower helps, but poor collection at the source can not be overcome by sheer horsepower.

I would suggest running the machine hooked up directly to the machine. Most machines have inadequate DC capability. Sure, there is a port on the machine, but the port rarely bares any relationship to where the dust is being created. The further the source of DC is from the cutting edge of the tool, the ability to capture the fines increases exponentially. Dust hoods, shrouds and shields direct should direct the fines towards the DC, and the DC should be as close as possible to this passage.

Before building a network of ducting, I would experiment with the DC and a single machine at a time. If you are disappointed with the DC in this configuration you will be even more disappointed when you ask the DC to perform even better after running through twenty feet of ducting and numerous elbows and Y's.

And a Dylos particle counter is extremely helpful when it comes to putting numbers on your experiments.