PDA

View Full Version : Which Band saw to get

Greg Barnett
04-02-2013, 10:07 PM
I am thinking about getting a new band saw, and was wondering which would be a better saw for the money, a Grizzly G0513ANV 17" anniversary edition $795 or the Rikon 18" 10-345 for $1049? I get a 10% off the Grizzly, but not the Rikon, but shipping is extra on the Grizzly, since I am not near their factory. I can get the Rikon on Woodcrafters about an hour away.

I have a 14" Rigid now that has a 3/4" blade that works so much better than the 3/8" that I had previously. Still a lot of vibration on that saw though!:( I need something with more capacity for the ripping of some small logs/limbs 8-12" in diameter.

Thanks for your input.

Greg

Jeffrey Kibler
04-03-2013, 7:21 AM
I just went through the same process of deciding which bandsaw to get but I was in a little different price range. I don't know if this is helpful but I landed on the laguna 16HD. I haven't gotten it completely assembled yet but I will tell you my first impression is that its amazing. They were not kidding when the said HD. You can tell that this thing was built with a lot of TLC. I spun the upper wheel with a finger and it rolled for about 2 minutes before it stopped. The frame is built out of some really thick steel. Very very nice machine (so far). Again I don't know if this helps but if you want to spend 3x as much as the Grizzly its an option.

John Bailey
04-03-2013, 7:46 AM
I'm a Grizzly fan, but in this case the Rikon takes the nod. Cast wheels, bigger wheels, cast trunnions, larger work table, and more powerful motor all lead to a smokin' hot deal at the present sale price.

Grab the Rikon before the sale price ends.

Matt Day
04-03-2013, 8:13 AM
Funny, I'm looking into the same thing as the OP now! There's a nice Youtube video comparing the different Grizzly 17" machines. Looks like the G0513X2 is a better comparison to the Rikon.

Gus Dundon
04-03-2013, 3:34 PM
I prefer Rikon than Grizzly .

Shiraz Balolia
04-03-2013, 4:09 PM
There's a nice Youtube video comparing the different Grizzly 17" machines. Looks like the G0513X2 is a better comparison to the Rikon.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2HP-w-Cast-Iron-Trunnion/G0513X2

There are two comparison videos of the 17" badsaws that we carry:

http://www.grizzly.com/videos/

John Bailey
04-03-2013, 4:14 PM
Funny, I'm looking into the same thing as the OP now! There's a nice Youtube video comparing the different Grizzly 17" machines. Looks like the G0513X2 is a better comparison to the Rikon.

You're still getting aluminum wheels, less power and a smaller work table with the G0513X2. Gotta' say, at the sale price, the the Rikon is still the winner and the OP can buy local and not pay shipping.

Dennis Ford
04-03-2013, 6:37 PM
My vote would be for the Grizzly (I do not own either saw). It is very unlikely that anyone owning both saws will offer an opinion so a question like this becomes a popularity contest more than a comparison.

Mike Hollingsworth
04-03-2013, 6:43 PM
Are parts available online for the Rikon?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0513x2/parts

Wade Lippman
04-03-2013, 7:39 PM
I had the same choice two months ago and chose the Rikon. Of course it was $50 less then... I also got it shipped for free along with a SS.

I can't compare it to the 513, but used to have a 514. It vibrates much less, and is more stable. The 514 wouldn't come close to passing the nickel test and was very top heavy on a too small base. The Rikon has terrible dust collection, but so did the 514; I guess they all do.
I do miss the starter though; a switch just isn't the same.

Shiraz Balolia
04-03-2013, 8:09 PM
You're still getting aluminum wheels, .

Perhaps you should study the specs before making a statement like that. The wheels on the G0513X2 are computer balanced cast iron. There is a link to the specs. within the link I posted, but here it is again:

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/specsheets/g0513x2_ds.pdf

Myk Rian
04-03-2013, 8:27 PM
Perhaps you should study the specs before making a statement like that.
Not to mention a Moderator tearing apart a site sponsor.

Jonathan Clement
04-03-2013, 10:17 PM
We have a Grizzly 17" Extreme Series G0513X2B which we got after reading an article in FW which compared the various makes. We use it for re-sawing and straight line cuts and are very pleased with its performance. Dust collection is very good.

Wade Lippman
04-03-2013, 10:51 PM
I get a 10% off the Grizzly

How do you get the 10% off Griz? When is it good?

I want to buy a sander that they didn't include in their spring sale...

John Bailey
04-04-2013, 3:09 AM
Perhaps you should study the specs before making a statement like that. The wheels on the G0513X2 are computer balanced cast iron. There is a link to the specs. within the link I posted, but here it is again:

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/specsheets/g0513x2_ds.pdf

I stand corrected -- don't know what I was looking at!

Rodger Kanis
04-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Not to mention a Moderator tearing apart a site sponsor.

That's a bit dramatic. Also, I thought that site sponsorship wasn't supposed to matter around here? :rolleyes:

He compared two bandsaws, saying at a certain sale price one is a better deal than the other is, to him, mistake on the wheel specs notwithstanding.

(Note that I don't own tools from either company.)

Joe Shinall
04-04-2013, 8:44 PM
I went through the same process. Started out with the Grizzly 17". Then thought "well it's just a little more to go to the 18" Rikon". I ended all the way up with the 19" Grizz with foot break....:rolleyes:

And might I add I am extremely happy with the Grizz and have seen a ton of people on here happy with the 17" Grizz.

Ken Harris
04-05-2013, 9:34 AM
Shiraz
Great product videos you have,I have the g0453z planer what a great machine.I would have bought 8in. planer but found used delta dj20.I will be buying one of your carbide heads from you I am totally sold on those heads.

Ken Harris
04-05-2013, 9:36 AM
whoops should have said I was considering 8in. jointer

Shiraz Balolia
04-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Shiraz
Great product videos you have,I have the g0453z planer what a great machine.I would have bought 8in. planer but found used delta dj20.I will be buying one of your carbide heads from you I am totally sold on those heads.

Thanks, Ken. We have a lot of videos, almost 4 dozen. There are a lot of "how to" videos that tell people how to change knives, change sandpaper on drum sanders, fit drill chucks to arbors, change bandsaw wheel tires, set up a planer, adjust jointer tables etc.. Certainly worth looking at regardless of the brand of machine you have. More being made weekly.

http://www.grizzly.com/videos/

Gus Dundon
04-05-2013, 4:55 PM
How do you get the 10% off Griz? When is it good?

I want to buy a sander that they didn't include in their spring sale...

I guess if you already made order with them before, you'll get coupon code or something . Not sure though.

Bill Wyko
04-05-2013, 5:47 PM
I have a Rikon 14" with 6" resaw, a Grizzly with 18" resaw and an Agazanni 19" with 13" resaw. Out of the 3 I feel the Griz has the most features, the Agazanni is the best quality and the lil Rikon is great for a saw that was under 500 bucks (back a few years ago)

Rich Riddle
04-05-2013, 7:34 PM
I recently went to the Grizzly showroom in Pennsylvania and was impressed with all the band saws lined up like soldiers near the window. They even have a room where they can be utilized/demonstrated. If you have some time and are half-way close to one of their locations, it's a great experience in helping you decide what to buy if Grizzly is on your short list. The staff were second to none and extremely polite. The show room manager (forgot her name) was informative and exceptional at customer service. There are some 10% coupons floating around that are good until the end of April as well. That will likely cover or nearly cover shipping.

If you are in consideration of other brands, that's understandable as well. Hope you have as much enjoyment shopping for your new saw as I had shopping for mine.

Wade Lippman
04-05-2013, 9:26 PM
I guess if you already made order with them before, you'll get coupon code or something . Not sure though.

No, that's not it. I've dropped nearly $10,000 there and didn't get a coupon.

Gus Dundon
04-08-2013, 3:02 PM
No, that's not it. I've dropped nearly $10,000 there and didn't get a coupon.

I guess I'm wrong. Aren't they sending it through email ?

Greg Barnett
04-15-2013, 4:57 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for the late response, I have been on vacation and didn't have access to the internet. I have been leaning towards the Grizzly, and really cannot afford the G0513XB. I have a coupon for 10% off from WW Journal. Not sure if it will be good with the sale prices though. Hoping that the 10% will cover S/H? Will have to see about