PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Festool Center

Dave Falkenstein
05-11-2005, 1:46 AM
A couple of weeks ago I posted a gloat about my Festool collection. Someone asked for a photo. Here's a photo of a Festool Systainer Port that I built myself, with the tool collection in it. I built it with a capacity for 8 Systainers, two of each size. The total cost was $160 and I have seven sets of full extension slides and a partial sheet of Baltic Birch plywood left over. I used 3/4 inch melamine for the carcass, Baltic Birch for the drawers, Glide Right full extension slides, a set of Lee Valley casters, plus some 1/4 inch hardboard shop scrap for the back and drawer bottoms. Oh what fun this hobby can be!!

John Lucas
05-11-2005, 1:51 AM
Nice work and nice collection.

Christian Aufreiter
05-11-2005, 5:21 AM
Nice work and nice tools. What's in the SYS III below the Rotex?

Regards,

Christian

Per Swenson
05-11-2005, 7:36 AM
Dave,

Very nicely done.
I only see one little problem.
You should have made two.
What? Yes, rest assured you are going to need another.
While you are at it, make it two more.
Then you should have all the systainers covered.
Just looking down the road.
Per

Frank Pellow
05-11-2005, 7:50 AM
That looks good Dave. It is taller than any similar cabinet I have seen before and I am wondering if you have any problems with the balance, particularly with the top drawers extended.

I have just finished making a "systainer port" myself (pictures to come later this week) and I found that I had to prvided a counterbalence by attaching an (enclosed) concrete slab that I attached to the back near the bottom.

Frank Pellow
05-11-2005, 7:53 AM
Where did you get the blue latches for the jig saw systainer?

Christian Aufreiter
05-11-2005, 8:36 AM
Where did you get the blue latches for the jig saw systainer?

Hi Frank,
Tanos (http://www.tanos.de/) offers at least 13 different colours.
As far as I know, most Festool Systainers were equipped with blue latches before 2000.
In Austria, large stores also have "their own" colours. For example, Schachermayer (http://www.schachermayer.at/) is known for its yellow. The store is yellow, the cars are yellow, the employee's shirts are yellow and they even sell Festools in Systainers with yellow latches.

Regards,

Christian

John Stevens
05-11-2005, 10:03 AM
The total cost was $160...

I'll echo Per--beautiful job, and you've got some materials left over for your second one, which you'll be making later this year :) Oh, and my usual comment about "total costs" including the fair market value of your time as a woodworker...although you also get to add the extra value of "pride of ownership."

Dave Falkenstein
05-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback. I too was concerned about the unit being rather tall and "tippy", but it is not. The assembly is quite heavy, plus the heavy tools are in the bottom. So I can open any of the upper drawers with no problem - it stays put. The unlabeled Sys 1 at the top is accessories for the MFT - mostly clamps. The unlabeled Sys 3 is empty at the moment, but is intended for sanding accessories - abrasives and pads as my collection grows. Two of the Systainers came from my local rep as demo units, and were discounted. One demo Sys 2 had blue latches and the box says Festo rather than Festool - I assume it's an older Systainer. I moved the jig saw from a Sys 1 to the blue latched Sys 2 to make room its for accessories in the same box. Next time I order consumables, I'll get two green latches - yeah, I know, kind of nutty.

Sam Blasco
05-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Very cool. It appeals to my anality. You should look into seeing if you can get the green latches for the jigsaw systainer, or maybe enough blues ones to make an alternating pattern. ; }..

Dave Falkenstein
05-14-2005, 4:56 PM
I just received a package in the mail from Festool in Goleta, CA. Inside were two green Systainer latches and a note, which read,

"You did a great job building your own Systainer Port! Here are the two missing green latches to make it look perfect. Regards, Christian Oltzscher."

Christian Oltzscher is the President and CEO of Festool-USA. How about that from a company that cares about their products and customers! Thank you very much, Christian!!

Frank Pellow
05-14-2005, 5:10 PM
I just received a package in the mail from Festool in Goleta, CA. Inside were two green Systainer latches and a note, which read,

"You did a great job building your own Systainer Port! Here are the two missing green latches to make it look perfect. Regards, Christian Oltzscher."

Christian Oltzscher is the President and CEO of Festool-USA. How about that from a company that cares about their products and customers! Thank you very much, Christian!!
That certainly is great service!.

Christian, if you are reading this, how about sending me two yellow latches for the corded DeWalt drill that I have in a Festool systainer? :D :D

Frank Pellow
05-15-2005, 8:04 AM
That certainly is great service!.

Christian, if you are reading this, how about sending me two yellow latches for the corded DeWalt drill that I have in a Festool systainer? :D :D
Hey, Christian was reading this and he responed with:

Yellow latches will be send out on Monday. I have one pair left.
The color is not exactly the DW yellow though, but it is close.
Now that really is what I call responsive! Thanks Christian!

Richard Wolf
05-15-2005, 8:08 AM
Hey Frank, too bad you did wish for something really big!!

Richard

Frank Pellow
05-15-2005, 8:22 AM

Richard
OK, I will try. :D

Christian, if you are reading this, I would really like a VS600 jointing system and several templates for same.

Richard Wolf
05-15-2005, 8:32 AM
Frank, if you get it you owe me.

Richard

Christian Aufreiter
05-15-2005, 12:04 PM

Richard

OK, I will try. :D

Christian, if you are reading this, I would really like a VS600 jointing system and several templates for same.

If you already think that this is something big just wait for my Festool wish list :D :D .

Regards,

Christian

Christian Aufreiter
05-15-2005, 12:16 PM
OK Christian...you are in deep waters here.
How about discounts for SMC members and suport for our mfg's forum & montly give-aways?
Just had to ask
peace
mike

Just to make sure that there are no misunderstandings.
I'm Christian AUFREITER, a student, hobbyist woodworker and Festool fan from Austria.
Festool USA's famous CEO is Christian OLTZSCHER.

Regards,

Christian