PDA

View Full Version : Error on Helix

Slavko Nikolic
04-02-2013, 7:14 PM
Could anyone help me?

My Epilog Helix 50w is making error.
For example when I Raster engrave line, laser makes the curve line on the right side of the machine like shown on picture.
Any idea?

Focus is good, optics are clean, new linear head, new x head flex cable, new x axis motor, old x axis belt.
Could it be that I have problem with Linear encoder strip or TT linear guide?

Greg Bednar
04-03-2013, 2:08 PM
Could it be that I have problem with Linear encoder strip or TT linear guide? 258838 Yes, one of the first things on the list to check would be the optical encoder strip; among the others that you've already checked.

Slavko Nikolic
04-03-2013, 2:58 PM
Dear Greg,
Thank you for reply but unfortunately it's not encoder strip. I've cleaned it but result is the same.
I'm very confused. I have experience with Epilog laser engravers for whole 8 years but this is absolutely strange.
Thanks again

Larry Bratton
04-03-2013, 3:31 PM
Go here http://www.epiloglaser.com/tech_support.htm and then Chat online with Epilog Tech support258906

Bruce Volden
04-03-2013, 3:38 PM
Slavko,

I don't know the "weight" / width of this line but I am betting it is a mechanical problem. You stated you you cleaned things. I had a similar problem on my TT--after much trouble shooting it turned out that some of the "valleys" in my belt had some debris in them and at that point it would produce a wiggly look. I had to look real close to find them. I also had some crud in the valleys of the pulleys on the motor. I cleaned all the belts and pulleys with a toothbrush and tooth pick and everything worked good from that point on. Hope this helps.

Bruce

Michael Hunter
04-03-2013, 3:43 PM
Check that the mirror/lens assembly is screwed up tight on the carriage.

I have seen a similar thing when I had not done the little screw up tight.

Glen Monaghan
04-03-2013, 6:47 PM
If I understand it right, the problem is that horizontal (left/right) lines are waving up and down. The linear encoder strip wouldn't cause that sort of distortion, its errors cause left/right deviations not up/down. The up/down waviness would more likely come from the rotary encoder (or problem with a pulley or shaft) except that I'd expect a more frequent cyclical error across the bed if that were the culprit. Since it apparently only happens on the right side of the bed, I'd suspect mechanical problems, perhaps a portion of a belt. At least that's where I'd start looking...

Slavko Nikolic
04-04-2013, 2:11 PM
Thanks Bruce,
I will try to replace belt.

Slavko Nikolic
04-04-2013, 2:41 PM
Thanks Michael,
every assembly is screwed up. I own two Epilog lasers for nine years and this is very strange condition.
Thanks again

Slavko Nikolic
04-04-2013, 4:39 PM
Dear Glen,
Your logic is just like mine. In my post I wrote that my belt is old and soon as I get I will replace it.
Thank you very much

Greg Bednar
04-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Dear Greg, Thank you for reply but unfortunately it's not encoder strip. I've cleaned it but result is the same. I'm very confused. I have experience with Epilog laser engravers for whole 8 years but this is absolutely strange. Thanks again Don't forget to clean the strip "reader" too. Take it off the machine ( a simple unscrew and unplug ) and put some ethanol on lens paper and run it through the reader, it could have debris on it too.

Slavko Nikolic
04-16-2013, 3:46 AM
Finally the mystery is solved! I've replaced a belt on x-axis and everything is great.
Thank you

Steve Busey
04-16-2013, 8:51 AM
Thanks for the follow up solution to your problem, Slavko! This post will help someone in the future know what to check.