PDA

View Full Version : My newest project, 80% completed

Zach Dillinger
04-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Gents,

I've been busy with a reproduction of a 1727 chest by Robert Crossman. I haven't finished the finish (hah!) yet, but snapped a couple of quick pics last night after some milk paint and some scratching. It's about 22 inches square, 5 drawers, very nice little piece.

258798 258799 258800258801258802

http://eatoncountywoodworker.blogspot.com/2013/04/taunton-chest.html

I really like the looks of the vine painting, but I must say it is intimidating! I shall press on, however, after the LN show this weekend. And the MWTCA meet in Chesaning the following weekend! Gah, too much to do!

Zach

Chris Griggs
04-02-2013, 10:22 AM
I said it before, but I'll say it again. I love the projects you choose Zach. You pull them off beautifully too.

I'm glad you posted this here, and even though I periodically peruse your blog I hope you continue to post your work on SMC.

Zach Dillinger
04-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I'm not usually one to brag on my own work on the forums, but I do love this little thing.

I'm glad you like it! This one was really, really quick. I bought the pine on March 16th and took those photos last night, with plenty of other work on other stuff in between. I figure I've got about 25 hours into it so far. Probably at least that many hours left in the painting, maybe more.

george wilson
04-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Zach,they seem to have only used oil based paints in the 18th.C.. Milk paints are 19th. C.. So says Mack Headley,Master cabinet maker in the Anthony Hay cabinet shop in Wmsbg.

As the Master Musical Instrument Maker,I was never concerned with paints. Very concerned about varnishes,though. Later,as toolmaker,I had to make and paint some wig boxes,and asked Mack about appropriate paint for them.

I thought it might be useful to know this. The chest,as usual,is very very nice work. I'd make the feet shorter and fatter,though.

Zach Dillinger
04-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Zach,they seem to have only used oil based paints in the 18th.C.. Milk paints are 19th. C.. So says Mack Headley,Master cabinet maker in the Anthony Hay cabinet shop in Wmsbg.

As the Master Musical Instrument Maker,I was never concerned with paints. Very concerned about varnishes,though. Later,as toolmaker,I had to make and paint some wig boxes,and asked Mack about appropriate paint for them.

I thought it might be useful to know this. The chest,as usual,is very very nice work.

George, I really struggle with using milk paint on my period work. As you say, the original chest was done with a protein-based binder, either egg or oil (according to chemical analysis), but certainly not milk paint. But I have trouble getting my oil based paints to dry since I don't use lead and I'm adverse to chemical driers. I'm hoping that, by the time the dark shellac goes over the paint, the obvious "milk paintedness" of the piece goes away.

Thanks for the advice (especially on the foot turnings), and for the compliment! Means a lot! The feet aren't glued in yet, so I may turn them again.

Chris Griggs
04-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I'm not usually one to brag on my own work on the forums, but I do love this little thing.

I'm glad you like it! This one was really, really quick. I bought the pine on March 16th and took those photos last night, with plenty of other work on other stuff in between. I figure I've got about 25 hours into it so far. Probably at least that many hours left in the painting, maybe more.

I wish I was 1/4 as productive as you. I just haven't seen enough shop time lately to make much progress on my current project.

Anyway, I know you don't like to show off but please do keep posting your work. Seeing other people work, especially good work, teaches me (and hopefully all of us) a lot, and gives me lots of ideas for future projects.

If that's not enough, to get you to keep posting your work than just keep in mind that for every project thread you start, you bump a sharpening thread farther down the list :-)

David Weaver
04-02-2013, 12:41 PM
I wish I was 1/4 as productive as you.

You and me, too.

Looks nice, Zach. The lack of endgrain pleases the eye.

Mel Fulks
04-02-2013, 1:08 PM
Another fine work. I'm interested in the milk paint thing ,too. Some sources say it was used on some items found in ancient Egyption tombs. Since it is a make it yourself thing it would be difficult to say exactly where and how often it was used. There could be enough information on Williamsburg to date it's use there.

Zach Dillinger
04-02-2013, 1:52 PM
Thanks gents. I'm productive just because I don't know what else to do with myself. I only watch a few tv shows, have no kids, and only have one or two other hobbies. It's easy to get stuff done when you don't have much else to do!

David Weaver
04-02-2013, 2:06 PM
Yeah, two things required for max productivity:
1) understanding spouse / no spouse
2) no kids

Once there are kids, you're supposed to be with the kids after work, and then when they go to sleep, hopefully your shop isn't under their bedrooms. Mine is under my daughter's bedroom, and she could sleep through 10,000 shotguns going off outside her door, but unfortunately a deficiency of 1) above prohibits proving that very often.

Mike Cogswell
04-02-2013, 2:27 PM
Beautiful work, as always. I really admire the craftsmanship you display in all your projects. They give me something to aspire to.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-02-2013, 2:44 PM
2) no kids

No kids, and my wife is super understanding of my "hobby" (read: weird fascination/obsession), a couple of times even surprising me with tools from the flea market (not a bad calls either, apparently she pays attention to my ramblings about rust) or a purchase from Lee Valley of some thing I mentioned wishing I could justify buying. Of course, the fact that I make her things from time to time doesn't hurt. . .

So I'm good there. For me the solution was really this:

. . . I only watch a few tv shows . . .

That's a big part of what is key for *me* - I'm not trying to be one of those holier than thou, "I don't watch TV" types. I lived for the longest time without a TV, mostly just because I didn't have one and was too cheap to pay for cable or to buy one, so I feel like I've almost lost my immunity to it - having had one for the past few years, I find I readily get sucked in without meaning to, simply because it fascinates me. My wife can leave it on just to have some background noise - I can't do that. The last week, I've tried to be more deliberate about my "screen time" consumption. Trying to turn on the TV only to watch a specific show, and not getting sucked into whatever else is on next and turn it off when I'm done. Just turning it on because I'm bored is the kiss of death for getting anything done that day. Same thing with browsing the net - I tell myself I'll read SMC and maybe a couple of other blogs/news sources I read regularly, but I have to try and make a point of not following link after link. On my days off, trying to do my crossword and coffee and then getting started works really well. After a week or two the system seems natural and I do it - but it's easy to "fall off the wagon" and lose a day . . .

The other thing that really helps me is my work schedule - I only work half the week, (12 hour days) so I have more full days to jump onto something.

That said, even being busy lately, I'm not still not getting any wood-working done. . .

Kees Heiden
04-02-2013, 3:33 PM
Are you going to paint these vine ranks too, Zach? In that case I suppose you just got started on this project! Looks pretty difficult to me.

Zach Dillinger
04-02-2013, 4:09 PM
Yup, the vines will be painted, but not until after I get back from the LN show this weekend. I'm bringing this one as well as my spice chest, so I wanted it to look somewhat presentable, with the understanding that it is not finished.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-02-2013, 4:20 PM
I didn't mention it before, but I really like this, Zach, and am looking forward to the painting.

george wilson
04-02-2013, 5:54 PM
You really can't compare what was done in ancient Egypt with 18th. C. practice.

Edit: After re reading the other post,I don't think he was saying that,though.

Chris Griggs
04-02-2013, 6:44 PM
2) no kids

I'm productive just because I don't know what else to do with myself. I only watch a few tv shows, have no kids, and only have one or two other hobbies.

Hmm, I meet these criteria and still don't get much done. Of course, in the past year, I've looked for and started a new job, moved across the country, planned a wedding and gotten married.

It's easy to get stuff done when you don't have much else to do!

I guess you could say I've had a lot to do....

That and my wife works A LOT more than I do so I end up most of the stuff daily stuff around the house. Maybe I can train my cats to help with the chores.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-02-2013, 6:49 PM
Maybe I can train my cats to help with the chores.

Trust me, it's not worth it! The best we ever got was my father teaching one to jump through hoops and roll over. You could have all the work done by the time you get them trained to pay attention . . .

Chris Griggs
04-02-2013, 7:06 PM
Trust me, it's not worth it! The best we ever got was my father teaching one to jump through hoops and roll over. You could have all the work done by the time you get them trained to pay attention . . .

Maybe I could at least get them to use one of these (http://www.petco.com/product/109888/Litter-Kwitter-Toilet-Training-System.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGoogleAdExtProd-_-Cat-_-Litter%20Kwitter-_-1226428&mr:trackingCode=2DF6EB15-8381-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=28820608195&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=56862285595)

That would save me one not so enjoyable chore and my shop would smell a lot better.

BTW, your father's cat training skills sound pretty impressive.

Roger Myers
04-02-2013, 9:32 PM
Looks good .... Keep us posted!

Sean Hughto
04-02-2013, 9:47 PM
Another vote turn a set of feet that look like those in the original. To me, those feet are a big part of the success of the form.

bob blakeborough
04-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Looking awesome man!!!

Zach Dillinger
04-03-2013, 8:24 AM
Another vote turn a set of feet that look like those in the original. To me, those feet are a big part of the success of the form.

I probably will turn new ones and shoot for a closer match to the original. The reason I did what I did is twofold. One, I'm not a great turner :) Two, you see a lot of worn in William and Mary pieces with oddly shaped ball feet. Not true spheres, but more elongated. Apple shaped not orange shaped. So I was ok with the shape I was able to turn out. After it gets back from Cincy, I will most likely turn another set.

Zach Dillinger
04-03-2013, 8:24 AM
Looks good .... Keep us posted!

Looking awesome man!!!

Thanks gents! Its been fun.

David Weaver
04-03-2013, 8:29 AM
I like the original feet, too, I wasn't going to say anything because I know they'll be a trick to turn and it's not like I make anything even as nice, anyway. Some of the minor details in things don't get enough credit for being as difficult as they are - like turning those short squat feet without catching a skew or having to sand you way to a good finish (which you know the original turner didn't have to do), and things like little graceful cabinet knobs that can be a bear to turn quickly without specialized tools.

Zach Dillinger
04-03-2013, 8:42 AM

Here is what I accomplished last night. This is as far as I will go before taking it down the LN show this weekend. I laid out the striping, berries and bird freehand with a soft pencil, working from the picture of the original. I threw in a couple of personalized areas so it's not exact, but it is very darn close and to the casual eye it is dead on. There are a couple of lines I'm not 100% happy with yet, so I will redo those before painting.

The striping will be done in white, leaves in green. The bird is blue, gold and red. Some of the berries will be red, others will be blue. The little dots around the escutcheons will be gold, as will the diamonds on the bottom drawer. Over all the striping and milk paint will be a dark shellac finish. This will take the brightness of the fresh striping down as well as make the box appear browner / aged but with the nice red undertone. Should be a stunner when completed!

george wilson
04-03-2013, 8:51 AM
I love these little chests!!

Zach Dillinger
04-03-2013, 9:20 AM
I love these little chests!!

So do I George! They are just a really cool form. Can be useful for small collections, daily junk, etc. They capture the beauty of the bigger pieces but will fit in just about any home.