PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know the warranty period on Grizzly

Alan Tolchinsky
05-09-2003, 2:25 PM
big tools like bandsaws, table saws, etc. I looked on their web site but couldn't find it. Also the same question for Mini Max. I looked there also but couldn't find it either. If it works the same way it does with SWMBO then the answer is right in front of my eyes and I missed it. :) Thanks Alan in Md.

Sam Chambers
05-09-2003, 2:40 PM
"Grizzly warrants every product it sells for a period of 1 year to the original purchaser from the date of purchase. This warranty does not apply to defects due directly or indirectly to misuse, abuse, negligence, accidents, repairs, alterations or lack of maintenance. This is Grizzly's sole written warranty. Any and all warranties that may be implied by law, including any merchantability or fitness, for any particular purpose, are hereby limited to the duration of this warranty. We do not warrant or represent that the merchandise complies with the provisions of any law or acts unless the manufacturer so warrants. In no event shall Grizzly's liability under this warranty exceed the purchase price paid for the product and any legal actions brought against Grizzly shall be tried in the state of Washington, County of Whatcom. We shall in no event be liable for death/injuries to persons or property, or for incidental, contingent, special or consequential damages arising from the use of our products."

http://www.grizzly.com/qa_questions.cfm?#05

Alan Tolchinsky
05-09-2003, 5:55 PM
z

Jay Albrandt
05-10-2003, 1:04 AM
Alan,

What Grizzly doesn't tell you on their website, or in the documentation that comes with...say jointers for instance... is that they allow 30 days from the date of purchase for the tool to be considered for a refund. I say "considered" for a refund because Grizzly will first have to give you authorization to return the tool. Then, when they receive the tool, they will inspect it and you will only be considered for a refund if they determine it is appropriate, AND if the tool is in an "unused" condition. They also want the tool returned in it's original packaging.

So I suggest that you set up the tool quickly, perform your acceptance tests and measurements to determine if there are any problems (without cutting anything of course) and get back to Grizzly immediately if you discover anything that you don't think you can live with.

Good Luck.

Jay

Bill Crofutt
05-14-2003, 1:09 PM
To clarify the return policy, it should be remembered most of our business is done "mail order". Meaning we have no idea how the machine was used or taken care of until seeing it. For example, if you bought a TV at The TV Store and took it back for a refund, they might see the bullet hole put into the screen when the gun you were cleaning accidentally discharged. And, if they saw that bullet hole, would they still give a refund? Of course not. We cannot see the item until we get it back, so in order to keep prices low by avoiding fraud, we reserve the right to inspect items for a refund. Are there people out there who buy a nail gun to build their deck, then return it when they are done? You bet there are. Are there people who would drill holes in table tops, and modify machines to make them do something they are not designed for, then return it? Well, you get my point.

That policy is there to help us keep our prices so low. Do we make exceptions to that policy? Of course, as proven right here at "Sawmill Creek".

And finally our return policy is printed inside the back cover of the catalog and located on our web site here:

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/pages/499.cfm?&site=grizzly

Dave Arbuckle
05-14-2003, 1:29 PM
From the Grizzly web site (any typographic errors are mine, this had to be retyped.):

RETURNS: Should you decide to return an item(s) for any reason, be it for refund, exchange or warranty, please contact our Customer Service Department at (570) 546-9663. They will take you step by step through the return process. Returns for refund or exchange must be within 30 days of purchase. Original shipping and handling charges are not refundable. All returns must be in original packing, unused and in resalable condition.

All returns must have a return number on the outside of the package as our warehouse cannot accept C.O.D's or items without a return number. All returns are subject to a 10% restocking fee and merchandise must be shipped to us prepaid.

As I understand this (I'm not a Lawyer), if I return a product to Grizzly for any reason (refund, exchange or warranty):

1) I am out the shipping etc. to me the first time (Original shipping and handling charges are not refundable.)
2) I am out ten percent the cost of the goods (10% restocking fee)
3) I am out the cost to deliver the goods to Grizzly (merchandise must be shipped to us prepaid)

So, an example as I understand it. I order a G1026 Shaper. It arrives in a pristine box, but is in two million pieces. Stuff happens... Cost to me: $75(original shipping) + $82.50(10% restock) + >$75(shipping back, I expect I cannot get the same rate as Grizzly). Minimum loss, $232.50. Ick, that isn't acceptable. And, the equipment doesn't meet the "in resalable condition" clause.

This appears to me to be the case even if I'm returning for exchange due to warranty.

Bill, I've seen you post a lot of times various places, and I have no doubt that you're a good, honest, and fair guy. But when dealing with a company, the written contract is what I depend on. You could leave for a great new job tomorrow...

Dave

Bill Crofutt
05-14-2003, 2:11 PM
Dave, you are wrong.

Nowhere does it say you are responsible for shipping on warranty returns. You are reading things into it that simply are not there. Further, non-warranty returns are SUBJECT to a 10% restocking fee, subject being defined by the dictionary as “Contingent or dependent: a vacation subject to changing weather”. If an item is defective/damaged there is no restocking fee nor are you out the original or return freight.

You are mixing two completely different scenarios together. If a machine arrives to you "trashed" from the shipper certainly you would not be held responsible. That falls under shipping damage and not a return. How would anyone even think if a machine arrives damaged, it would be too bad for them? Of course Grizzly would replace or refund the customer….that’s a no brainer. Under those conditions there would be no cost to the customer.

And now.....I gotta get back to work.

Dave Arbuckle
05-14-2003, 3:18 PM
And now.....I gotta get back to work.

That's too bad, I would have liked to respond. :(

Dave