PDA

View Full Version : LN Dovetail Saw

Gary Hodgin
04-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Not sure if this has been posted. Has anyone tried it. Looks like a good idea but likely difficult to sharpen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jXHmuY7elwM#!

Andrew Pitonyak
04-03-2013, 2:52 PM
I think that it might require a significantly different sawing pattern with my arm, wrist, and stance than I am used to.... In other words, I am not sure how useful I would find it.

David Weaver
04-03-2013, 3:20 PM
It doesn't look that useful as a saw, but if the handle was persimmon, I think I could pull the plate and drive golf balls with it.

Jim Neeley
04-03-2013, 3:53 PM
Au contraire, David. This is the perfect tool for cutting dovetails in that piece of 64/4 stock you have lying around!! :eek::D:eek:

Jim in Alaska

David Weaver
04-03-2013, 4:17 PM
It will be a must-have when the new book on used railroad tie and telephone pole benches comes out. :)

george wilson
04-03-2013, 5:15 PM
If Underhill jams THIS saw it WILL kink!!

It looks pretty fragile. Look at the blade as he pushes it. Seems on the verge of kinking. I fail to see the point of it. If dovetail saws were meant to be that long and thin,they'd already have been built that long,truly. I also question the control you'd have with a long,thin saw like that. Just take the extra strokes,and stay close enough to the work to see the scribe line.

Gary Hodgin
04-03-2013, 5:27 PM
Believe it might have been a LN response to LV. Not the saws, but the April 1 "innovations." Doubt anyone would really use one of those saws but who knows. Some people watch Nancy Grace.

P.S. Watched the video again and under the info it says it was built for Roy Underhill by LN.

george wilson
04-03-2013, 6:22 PM
I was wondering if it was an April Fool's joke!