PDA

View Full Version : Wood Allergy

David Brightwell
04-01-2013, 10:22 PM
I have a few questions about wood allergies.

1. Is there a common list of woods that tend to cause reactions? (Ex. I hear a lot about cocobolo.)

2. If a person is allergic to the wood, would the dust cause a reaction if breathed?

Appreciate any info.

robert baccus
04-01-2013, 10:35 PM
You might try just googling it up--there are many opinions. My favorite reaction dust is several of the spalts.

Roger Chandler
04-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Here is some good info from our clubs website on wood toxicity:

http://www.woodturnersofthevirginias.org/wova_documents/aaw_toxic_wood.pdf

David Brightwell
04-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Thanks!!!!

You might try just googling it up--there are many opinions. My favorite reaction dust is several of the spalts.

Here is some good info from our clubs website on wood toxicity:

http://www.woodturnersofthevirginias.org/wova_documents/aaw_toxic_wood.pdf

Bernie Weishapl
04-01-2013, 11:22 PM
David there is a lot of info out there. I haven't found a wood that has affected me yet but it can creep up anytime. I do wear a respirator when turning and especially when sanding.

phil harold
04-02-2013, 3:53 AM
wear a mask
nasal issues are no fun
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

Jim Burr
04-02-2013, 9:59 AM
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/wood_toxicity.php#

is what I've used for years...link to the table on the bottom. If you are allergic and inhale the dust, you will find it extremely hard to breathe in a very short period of time. Before going into the Navy, I was a firefighter for CDF for 3 years...you should see what happens when you inhale poison oak smoke...wasn't me, but 18 guys ended up in the hospital for a few weeks.

John Beaver
04-02-2013, 10:36 AM
The most common allergic woods are from the Rosewood family. Silk Oak is a problem for many, and nut trees can cause reactions in some people. Definitely do some internet research.

The reaction can be as slight as skin irritation up to anaphylactic shock. My niece had to be rushed to the hospital from breathing Wenge dust. Be aware that you can develop a reaction from use. They say you are either allergic to Cocobolo or you will be.

Ralph Lindberg
04-02-2013, 12:17 PM
I have a few questions about wood allergies.

1. Is there a common list of woods that tend to cause reactions? (Ex. I hear a lot about cocobolo.)

2. If a person is allergic to the wood, would the dust cause a reaction if breathed?

Appreciate any info.

IMO there are two types of woodworkers:
1) Those that have a reaction to wood dust

2) Those that WILL have a reaction to wood dust at some time in the future.

Take precautions with all types of wood and #2 will be delayed, maybe until you get to old and feeble to work wood.

Reed Gray
04-02-2013, 1:30 PM
Some times it can be the dust in your lungs that you react to, some times dust on your skin and sweat will cause the reactions. Generally the stronger the scent is, the worse it is for you: biological chemical warfare. Tropical woods tend to be worse because they have more predators to fight off. If you feel at all woozy, itchy, or getting any shortness of breath, suit up (positive pressure dust mask and bio suit) or get rid of it. The allergies get worse as you get more exposure, and one reaction can make you sensitive to other woods.

robo hippy

Thomas Canfield
04-02-2013, 8:37 PM
There are lists out there that show the tendency for allergic reactions, but like food, each individual can have different reactions. Some are breathing, and some are skin. I have not had any breathing reactions, but do have reactions to the rosewoods (and silky oak) similar to poison ivy reaction, and over time the exposure required is less and less, same for poison ivy. I do now wear a Trend Airshield Pro, but it is for all dust for lung protection and not allergic reaction protection. I have worn thin vinyl gloves turning wet oak because of tanic acid, and that might help for skin contact with wood dust. I found it cheaper to do away with my rosewood material than pay for the treatment.

robert baccus
04-02-2013, 9:49 PM
Good advice all. Some woods can be toxic to deadly. Several years ago one turner in Cal. died and his friend (same log) was hospitalized for weeks turning Silky oak. Spalts can deck me--a friend was hospitalized twice by spalt several years ago by red spalt line sweet gum. Big worms make me spit for hours as well. Yuk.