PDA

View Full Version : 2 recent turnings - maple bowl, square quilted maple platter.

Chip Sutherland
04-01-2013, 5:12 PM
Here are two recent pieces. Sorry for the pics but that's what you get with an iPhone. I have a great photo tent with graduated background but I have absolutely nowhere to set it up anymore. We adopted/rescued a teenager friend from a bad situation so the spare bedroom is no longer available. I tried the floor but was extremely uncomfortable and in the way of the family. The tablesaw is covered in cabinets from the kitchen re-model courtesy of my own teenager's 'throwing water on a fried pickles grease fire'. So I hung an old sheet from the kitchen rack.

First piece - Silver maple from a neighbor's tree that came down in a micro-burst. I guess it spalted a little bit. I started turning this piece the morning of my mother's memorial in Jan. I needed something to occupy my time and get people out of my face. Spinning wood makes people keep their distance. All the wood from this tree has been fascinating with wild figure, spalting/staining, etc. I pyro'd the rim lightly because it seemed to need something. The original thought was to do a heavy dark band. I'm still undecided. Sanded to 800. Finished with mineral oil to limit any coloration. Size 5 1/8w X 1 7/8h on a 1/8 in high foot.

2nd piece - Quilted maple. This is an end cut of a board so there is only a limited amount of figure. This piece was done for my turning club's quarterly challenge tonight. However, I should have read the rules because the finished piece is 14 5/8 in diameter and the rules allow 9-11in entries. However, it is 10.5 in on the short-side. Maybe they won't notice tonight. Doing a square platter was strictly a whim. I had laid out for a 10.5 in round platter. It is a decent piece. Wish I had used a fourth color. More figure would have made this a prettier piece. I encountered a fair amount of flex in the corner wings right at the transition to the body. As a result, I didn't go as thin as I wanted. Consequently, I can feel a little thickness variation. Sanded to 3200. Finished with Deft Spray-on Semi-gloss lacquer (rattle can). You can see the chatoyance a little better in the last picture which was with the flash turned on. Size: 14 5/8w X 1 7/8h on a 1/8 in high foot.

Next on the list is to finish a bowl for my daugther (heavy pyro) and start on a new lectern for a church. Then any one of ~2 dozen works in progress....

Daniel Atkins
04-01-2013, 5:49 PM
I've been trying to get my just turned 13 year old daughter interested in what can be done with wood, and we both love your quilted maple platter! Nice work!

Thomas Canfield
04-01-2013, 8:13 PM
The rectangular platter is an eye catcher with the knot "eye" in the corner. Good job with the dye and finish.

Jerry Marcantel
04-01-2013, 9:57 PM
Nice stuff, Chip. I especially like the pyro pattern, but I think I like the platter better...... It could be a toss up on either. ............... Jerry (in Tucson)

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2013, 9:45 AM
Nice work on both. I do like the blue.

bob svoboda
04-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Good job on both. I especially like the platter.

mark ravensdale
04-02-2013, 8:35 PM
Nice work!!!
i like both, but especially the top one (the bowl) I like this chunky style and have done several myself, when I see one I always seem to get a scene from pagan England into my head (sounds silly I know!!!) I made a ceremonial drinking type cup last year from laburnum which would match your bowl a treat!

Well done, and keep that wood spinning!!!

Edward Cypher
04-03-2013, 10:57 AM
I really like the blue square platter!!!