PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ornament holder/display ideas...

Doug W Swanson
04-01-2013, 4:40 PM
Hey all,
I'm looking for some ideas for ornament holder/displays. I've thought about buying some on Amazon but since I'm donating one of my birdhouse ornaments to a school fund raiser, I wanted to make a display stand to go along with it.

I know people use brass wire but where can I get it?

I was just at Micheal's today and they didn't have any stands. It also seemed like the plain brass wire they had was too flimsy to hold much of anything.

Any advice is appreciated!

Roger Chandler
04-01-2013, 5:10 PM
I had an idea for a birdhouse ornament display the other day.......it could be used for regular ornaments as well if one wished to do so..............

The idea is to take a piece of small sapling and try to get the upper part where a number of branches are coming off and use it as sort of a "tree display." Screw the bottom of the sapling to a base ......the branches need to be from a sapling that is not too big, yet big enough that they are stout enough to hold the weight of the ornaments.

Just an idea.......

Michael Stafford
04-01-2013, 5:49 PM
You can buy brass rod at some of the big box stores (Lowe's used to carry it), hobby shops and at welding supply houses. You will probably need to polish it up if you want it shiny. I use 1/8" or 3/32" rod. Much less than that and it is too flimsy.

Then you need to bend it into the shape you desire. I use a bending jig like this to help form some of the bends and loops.

Then it is just a matter of turning a base to suit your fancy and drilling a hole for the wire hanger.

Check out David Reed Smith's website. He writes for Woodturning Design and he has some ideas about hangers.

Royce Meritt
04-02-2013, 4:06 PM
In my neck of the woods, Ace Hardware carries brass rod in assorted diameters.

Greg Just
04-02-2013, 9:44 PM
how about an old wire coat hanger?

Marvin Hasenak
04-02-2013, 11:12 PM
1/8" brass welding rods. Bend to shape, you can even find instructions on the Internet.