PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Wonder Dogs

Erin Raasch
05-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Has anyone used these? When I put the MDF top on my workbench, I want to keep the hardware minimal because it will only be in service for a short while. I'm thinking I will mount an inexpensive front vise, but I'd like to come up with an alternative to a tail vise.

Has anyone had successful experience with using, for example, a bench stop and holdfast for planing? I looked at the Wonder Dogs on the Lee Valley site, and they look like they might work, but I'm hoping someone has had first-hand experience and can advise as to the pros and cons.

Thanks!

Erin

Howard Pollack
05-10-2005, 11:53 PM
Hi- I have one and love it. It is useful in all sorts of arrangements. I often lock a board between it and a regular bench dog (3/4" bolt) to plane, carve etc.
-Howard

Alan Turner
05-11-2005, 5:06 AM
Erin,
I have a pair of these, in addition to a traditional tail vise. So, I dont use one for the work of a tail vise, but it would work fine in that configuration. I use them for mid-board clamps both for glue ups and for holding odd shaped pieces. They are well made. My bench top has a series of holes, 3/4" dia., which hold either those, or the round LV dogs of brass. I have 4 of the dogs, and 2 of the WD's. They are not use don a daily basis, but when you need them, they are quite handy.

Terry Hatfield
05-11-2005, 8:28 AM
Erin,

I have the wonder pup...shorter version of the dogs. I love it. I don't have a tail vise so I use them on anything longer than what will fit in my front vise and they have done very well.

Terry

Michael Gabbay
05-11-2005, 8:32 AM
I have the wonder dog and love it. I made a little bench hook for planing tenons and use the WD to clamp things in place. It is a really useful tool.

Mike

Bill Wiggins
05-11-2005, 1:15 PM
I'm just a beginner, but it works well for me. My first project was a workbench and couldn't justify the cost of an tail vise. So I bought a Wonder Dog and it has worked great.

Kyle Stiefel
05-11-2005, 1:31 PM
I don't have a tail vise either but do have a pair of these. I am a big fan of Veritas products, they are well thought out and engineered so. They find many uses on the bench.

Roy Wall
05-11-2005, 1:51 PM
Another vote of confidence.......

I have a "wonder pup" and use it as a tail vise.... works well........

On a down side, it's not for planing thin stock, as the brass head it too thick -- but overall a good tool.

Erin Raasch
05-11-2005, 2:37 PM
Well, after all this great feedback, I'm convinced! Just placed my order to Lee Valley for two Wonder Pup combinations and two pairs of muzzles. I somehow managed to exercise great restraint and restricted my order to these items. :)

Thanks for the help with making this decision!

Erin

Brent Smith
05-11-2005, 3:03 PM
Erin,
You might want to try the Veritas hold downs too.They work great and will hold your work firmly in place.

Brent

Jim Becker
05-11-2005, 4:41 PM
I have two of the smaller ones as well as the short brass dogs (with rubber covers) for my bench. Very happy with them. Well-made product which is to be expected with the Veritas brand from Lee Valley.

Jerry Palmer
05-12-2005, 1:20 PM
Well, after all this great feedback, I'm convinced! Just placed my order to Lee Valley for two Wonder Pup combinations and two pairs of muzzles. I somehow managed to exercise great restraint and restricted my order to these items. :)

Thanks for the help with making this decision!

Erin

I'll say you exercised restraint. Not even a medium shoulder plane thrown in. :)

I'm somewhat material securing challenged at this point, myself.

James Carmichael
05-12-2005, 1:32 PM
I'll say you exercised restraint. Not even a medium shoulder plane thrown in. :)

I'm somewhat material securing challenged at this point, myself.

I almost have to prohibit the LV web site on my PC, dangerous!

Of course, now I need to go evaluate the WDs to see if everyone is giving Erin good advise. :D

Erin Raasch
05-12-2005, 1:36 PM

But it is on my Wish List . . . soon as the paychecks from my part-time job start rolling in, it's going in the shopping cart. :D I got to wanting one real bad while I was making all the tenons for this workbench trestle!

Erin

Jerry Palmer
05-13-2005, 1:51 PM
Yeah, I tend to buy tools based on the last project. The radius plane I got recently was because I could have really used one for the bent wood parts on the booksellers table I did a while back. I must say, though, that the shoulder plane will find many more uses than the radius plane. Gotta find a project to justify that one.:)