PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Router

Dustin Crawford
04-01-2013, 2:54 PM
Hey guys, I have a Bosch MRF23EVS 2.3 HP VS Fixed-Base Router

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=MRF23EVS

I am setting up my table saw to double as my router table like others have done. I have not used my Bosch on a table yet and was wondering if it is worth buying a router lift like this?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21380&site=ROCKLER

It sounds like my router has provision to adjust from above if table mounted, but unless I am missing something, you would still have to get under it to clamp and unclamp the adjustment lock. Also the base and motor do not always adjust (slide) easily even though I can not find any burrs or anything.

The lift seems like a good idea to me, but I'm still a total newbe and will have to sell this to the wife too.

Thanks,

DC

Bernie LeBlanc
04-01-2013, 3:21 PM
DC - I have a lift just like that Rockler one (probably made by the same Tenn. co. Jessem???). I've been very happy with its' precision. I haven't bought any molding since my table has been set up. If you can spring the cost, it's worth it.

But you call yourself a newbe so welcome to the woodworking world. Warning - it can be addictive and very expensive so take baby steps in purchasing your tools and be patient. Don't buy cheap tools, but don't buy them all. It's best if you start with simple projects, get the tools you need for the simple projects and learn to use them well. As you develop skills, you'll challenge yourself with bigger projects and get more tools.

Kesh Ikuma
04-01-2013, 3:36 PM
I have a plunge-base version of your router, and I was researching for the exact same thing earlier. I found out that my MRP23 is not made to be used in a router table. It must have a base installed to be powered (due to the power switch on its handle) and I think a router lift takes only a router body w/o base, which makes MRF23 unusable.

I ended up buying another plunge router (Triton 3HP used from a fellow Creeker) for router table use. It was cheaper than buying a lift, and I find it far more convenient to have 2 routers.

-Kesh

Dustin Crawford
04-01-2013, 3:49 PM
Your so right, I never thought of that. It would have been quite disappointing to get it all together and realize there is no switch to turn it on!

Dustin Crawford
04-01-2013, 4:23 PM
Hmm, well now I am really scratching my head. Would it be better to go with what I have (see pic) http://www.toolbarn.com/bosch-mrf23evs.html

or get a plunge base?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203866764?productId=203866764&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=203866764&ci_kw=%7bkeyword%7d&kwd=%7bkeyword%7d&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-203866764&ci_gpa=pla#.UVnmHhxwrNo

Unless I am missing something, my fixed base is adjustable from the top side of the table, however that is not helpful because you still have to go below to clamp/unclamp the lock. And it looks like the plunge base is only adjustable from the bottom but there is no clamp to mess with. Crap what do I do now...

John Schweikert
04-01-2013, 4:58 PM
I have 2 of the Bosch MR*23 routers. One as the full combo kit and a second fixed based version. I don't use a lift in my router table. I don't think it's necessary at all, plus as stated, the MRF23 gets its electrical connection from the Bosch fixed base, so no way of using an after market lift for the moment.

Remove the clear router base plate, mount the fixed base under your table, just make sure there is a hole for the above table adjustment hex location. Use the t-handle hex wrench that comes with the fixed base and combo kits, 1/8" hex, to raise and lower the bit. It's quite easy. I put some 3 and 1 oil on the threads and it glides up and down with little effort. Bosch did a good job providing an above table adjustment for these routers, simple to use.

The MRF23 is the fixed base, MRP23 is the plunge version and the MRC23 is the combo kit, just for easy reference.

Dustin Crawford
04-01-2013, 5:32 PM
Cool thanks for the breakdown. Have you had any problems with the base and motor being sticky/galling? Mine is clean as a whistle (only used about 5-6 times) and sometimes gets really hard to adjust. As in when you turn the micro adjust, you can really see it putting pressure on the snap ring that the adjustment screw pushes on to move up/down the base. When the base sticks, the snap ring looks like it is trying to deform. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this or if I am special =)

I was thinking of trying some johnsons paste wax on the motor/base sliding surface.

John Schweikert
04-01-2013, 6:37 PM
Dustin,

Oil the screw thread and run the micro adjust up and down several times all the way. I would not use wax between the router motor and base interior wall. With 2 motors and 3 bases, they all interchange with no issues for me, so it may be some other reason that they are sticking. Of course when adjusting the micro thread, the lock must be open, then relock before turning on the router.

It's hard to write about using the router because of the parts names, but I suggest reading the manual again about where the router should be positioned in the base to begin with in order to take advantage of the full travel of the micro adjust. In doing that it shouldn't be tight from top to bottom when adjusting.

Essentially, with the fixed base sitting on a surface face down, the router motor should only be slid in until the the first catch location is engaged. There are three catch locations in total each is useful, but being in the first position allows the full travel of the screw thread for micro adjustments.

I know exactly what you're saying about the snap ring deforming. I have noticed that too on both fixed bases of mine. But only one base has ever been used (in the router table), the other fixed base base has sat unused so far since I use the plunge base with the other motor. So I see the clip ring as a non issue.

Byron Sinclair
05-11-2019, 2:57 PM
I see there a specific router table plate you use to mount the Bosch fixed base router to?

Wade Lippman
05-12-2019, 6:26 PM
I had a 2hp Bosch in a router table and found that clamping and unclamping was a real pain.

A good lift is a pleasure to use.

Andrew More
05-12-2019, 7:44 PM
I see there a specific router table plate you use to mount the Bosch fixed base router to?

I bought this from Rockler, and it's been a decent plate for the money. One caution, there is no hole for the through base screw to adjust the height up and down. I drilled my own, which is a big deal, but you would hope that it would already be there. Also the router goes in a bit askew, such that the handles are not directly paralellel with the sides. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of when putting it into a box of some sort.